• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on AGP 1950 PRO thinking of UPGRADE to 4670

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango1974

Registered
I know what you saying, AGP is past it!!! However my system is not past it.
Im running an ASUS 8AV Delux mainboard, Opteron 180 Dual core, now this baby seems to be more expensive then when I brought it, why is this? Also with 2x WD Raid 0. 4 gig ram. Creative Audigy 2 and at the moment a 1950 Pro AGP card made by Sapphire. Also running windows 7 Ultimate. 64 bit version on my system. Its running very well. Even better then some new systems being sold today. The problem is I am upgrading my screen to a 24inch HDMI. I want to have HDMI and I can have this with the HIS 1gb 4670 AGP card. I dont want to upgrade the system until I really need to as she is still as quick, if not quicker now I have put win7 on. Question is this. Will I see an improvement with the 4670 card over my 1950 pro card. Both cards run ddr3 as I can see but I would like to see a comparison. As yet have not been able to find one on the net.

Here is my performance rating within the win 7 system.

Processor 5.2

Memory 5.2

Graphics 6.0

Gaming G 6.0

Primary HDD 5.9

BTW my primary HDD will be going up some what as I will be using a solid state HDD for the main operating system pretty soon. So overall I still have a very nice machine. What should I do about the gcard? Is it worth upgrading to the HIS 4670? Your advice please.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/agp-radeon-overclocking,2395-10.html

"Exactly what upgraded graphics card are we talking about? The fastest AGP card we've tested is ATI's Radeon HD 3850, and you can get them for under $100. Unfortunately, the AGP flavor of the Radeon HD 4670--an even newer board based on a modern GPU--was released after this review was written. We know that the PCIe version of the Radeon HD 4670 is slightly faster than the Radeon HD 3850, and slightly slower than the Radeon HD 3870, so we can make some educated guesses as to it's relative performance. Since the PCIe version of the Radeon HD 4650 performs similarly to the AGP version of the same card, we can safely assume that the new AGP Radeon HD 4670 will perform closely to the Radeon HD 3850--perhaps even a little faster in most situations, and perhaps a little slower in others."

3850 is faster than 1950pro, you could say you'll see some improvements, maybe more apparent with an Opty.

PS: Your sig says 3850 agp, probably too little performance upgrade but more features, 4670 should also use less power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/agp-radeon-overclocking,2395-10.html

"Exactly what upgraded graphics card are we talking about? The fastest AGP card we've tested is ATI's Radeon HD 3850, and you can get them for under $100. Unfortunately, the AGP flavor of the Radeon HD 4670--an even newer board based on a modern GPU--was released after this review was written. We know that the PCIe version of the Radeon HD 4670 is slightly faster than the Radeon HD 3850, and slightly slower than the Radeon HD 3870, so we can make some educated guesses as to it's relative performance. Since the PCIe version of the Radeon HD 4650 performs similarly to the AGP version of the same card, we can safely assume that the new AGP Radeon HD 4670 will perform closely to the Radeon HD 3850--perhaps even a little faster in most situations, and perhaps a little slower in others."

3850 is faster than 1950pro, you could say you'll see some improvements, maybe more apparent with an Opty.

PS: Your sig says 3850 agp, probably too little performance upgrade but more features, 4670 should also use less power.

Yep went back to the 1950 pro due to graphic issues. I think the voltage was to high for my mainboard, so I am hoping the 4670 should work better as its a lower voltage card.

You mean the 3850 needed more power than 1950pro right ? What's your PSU ? You should always mention PSU in your system details.

Yes It did. My psu is a 700watt unit. The problem was every time I fitted the 3850 I had a bios message come up saying USB voltage low level. So it did not like it at all!! I am hoping with the 4670 I will not have any issues.

Back