• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

almost ready to start folding on my first rig for folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grampa

I just put together my first system,now its time push the button and fire this mother up,but I have never formatted a hdd.let alone loaded an os for the first time...anyone want to help on icq??????I am as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs! do you remember your first time?

Joe Nugent said:
I just put together my first system,now its time push the button and fire this mother up,but I have never formatted a hdd.let alone loaded an os for the first time...anyone want to help on icq??????I am as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs! do you remember your first time?

Congrats on your first time!! Best of luck to you. I don't have ICQ, sorry, but feel free to ask me anything you need to know, or just post it. Good luck!

Matt

any suggestions,I have checked everything several times,jumpers, power supply connectors,but I have read so much on formatting,I just dont know the best way for me to do it

Joe Nugent said:
any suggestions,I have checked everything several times,jumpers, power supply connectors,but I have read so much on formatting,I just dont know the best way for me to do it

You installing windows xp? If so, just pop in the cd and follow the onscreen instructions. Good luck!

Matt

Joe Nugent said:
yep,xp it is.so I just turn it on and put the cd in?

Go into BIOS first and make sure the CDROM is set to the first boot device. The cd will come on and tell you what to do. Its quite simple, I am sure you will be able to do it. Good luck!

Matt

yep just make sure you have your bios set to boot from a cd-rom.The disk should take ya through the rest,and relax,someday you will look at this and smile :) Good Luck!!

EDIT:I should really learn how to type...everyone beats me to the punch...lol

thanks guys,I was thinking it was going to be a big deal,kinda like buck-fever without my heart beating out of my chest.

ShadowCat66 said:
EDIT:I should really learn how to type...everyone beats me to the punch...lol

Lol...don't worry about it. The info is whats important. That used to happen to me all the time, I had to get quicker.

Joe Nugent said:
thanks guys,I was thinking it was going to be a big deal,kinda like buck-fever without my heart beating out of my chest.

The first one is always the most fun. Tell us how it went.

Matt

i like how you talk.. first rig for folding... meaning there may be more to follow :D

there will be more,just went offline so I could hook up the 2-port kvm switch,all plugged in and ready to go.when I plugged it in a red light on the m.b. came on then went out

well I set it to boot from the cd and put in a full install disc of xp and it wont boot.at bottem of screen it says:boot from atapi cdrom :_ and the cursor just flashes

Joe Nugent said:
well I set it to boot from the cd and put in a full install disc of xp and it wont boot.at bottem of screen it says:boot from atapi cdrom :_ and the cursor just flashes

Ok. Make sure only the essentials to install the OS are in. So remove any pci cards (sound card, nic, modems), secondary drives and usb devices. Try that. See if it helps.

Matt

Joe Nugent said:
ok will do.be back in a bit,2 rigs,1 moniter

Hehhe. Alright. I will hold my eyelids open...I am tired, so try and be quick. Hope it works this time. Good luck!

Matt

aaaahhh**smokin a cigerette**the first time was good,booted from the cd and installed xp

I had a belkin 2-port kvm switch hooked up to both rigs,it takes its power from the usb ports,I unhooked the switch and it booted right up

So everything is working fine now? If so, post, I want to help you get the right folding stuff installed. If not, post anyways, lol, I want to know whats up.

Matt

Back