• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ambient - idle - load relationship

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

I have been testing my temps becuase I redid my rig yesterday. I am a little curious to know what relationship you see between ambient/idle/load in your systems. If you post this relationship, please post your MB and processor if its not in your sig.

--sidenote Ambient = Board Temp

I know temps directly are not comparable but I think the relationship is. If Im wrong, please tell me why.

One thing to note

My temps look something like this:
22/30/32 - 1/2 - 12:14am
25/??/35 - 1/2 - 12:47am
28/??/38 - 1/2 - 8:47am
27/35/?? - 1/2 - 9:00am
28/36/38 - 1/2 - 9:15am
29/??/39 - 1/2 - 9:45am
29/??/39 - 1/2 - 9:56am
29/36/?? - 1/2 - 9:56am
28/35/?? - 1/2 - 9:59am
28/35/?? - 1/2 - 10:02am
28/??/38 - 1/2 - 10:08am
28/??/38 - 1/2 - 10:12am

Load temp = ambient+10
Idle temp = ambient+8

When I kick my computer from idle to load, ambient might go +1 after a while, testing 1 degree is somewhat inaccurate without a room temp reading. Initially I didnt really consider that, so the readings with all 3 numbers are probably skewed. The relationships hold true though.

Well, the results should be about linear, i.e. a 5C jump in ambient will result in a 5C jump at load. Don't know if it's always true, but it should be something close to that. It makes sense, at least.

My socket and die temps are within a degree or the same. The other temp sensor on the board (close to agp slot) runs about 11C cooler than the die at full load and 7C cooler at idle. Your system is running cooler than mine, but the differential is about the same. My water system is a chevette heatercore (what else:D), quiet one 1200, and MCW5002. Max die temp is about 45C at full load at normal room temps.

Last edited:
What voltage do you run Gunggeek? What MB?

Another note as to my 1 degree variance in ambient when running at load and idle. It takes about 2 mins for it to change. If I run at load for a while then cut down to idle, the ambient will drop 1 degree after 2 mins. If I kick it up from idle, again 2 mins to see the 1 degree ambient increase.

Last edited:
BigSmokey said:
What voltage do you run Gunggeek? What MB?

Vcore is 1.72V
Motherboard is Soltek 75MRN-L (Nforce 2 chipset with integrated graphics using a special bios that unlocks all settings available on the mobo)

About the speed of temp changes: a thermister located within the cpu socket will change slowly due to loose thermal coupling between the cpu and thermister. That's a fancy way to say the thermister doesn't touch the cpu directly; the air and socket temps have to change also. Die temp will change quickly since the cpu is the thermal source and the internal temp-measuring diode has excellent thermal contact.

The "ambient" temp sensor is really measuring the temp of the motherboard itself. Mine is located by the AGP slot; they usually aren't close to the CPU. It takes a while for changing CPU heat to influence the mobo temp since much of the cpu heat is removed directly from the die via a waterblock or heatsink. The mobo power supply section is a big heat contributor to the mobo; those are the black MOSFETs that get so hot. They use plane layers within the mobo for a primary heatsink as well as carrying current. The case fans then cool the mobo.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back