• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD Phenom II X4 B55 trying for 4.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iSyndicate

Hello, I'm new to the forums so let me start by saying that this is my first build, and I've been trying to reach 4.0GHz with this processor but I don't think I can do it... I've read "Dolk's Phenom II Overclocking Guide" numerous times and I even sat down today to try it again. I figured you experts here could help me understand the mystery of why I can't hit my target? :|

PC Specs:

Case: Cooler Master CM690 Nvidia Edition (x6 Cooler Master R6 Green LED 120mm Fans)

PSU: Ultra LSP 750W

Motherboard: ASUS M4N75TD

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (Unlocked as X4 B55 3.8GHz)

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w/ Push-Pull Cooler Master R6 Green LED 120mm Fans

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (4GB x2)DDR3 1600MHz (Red/Green LED)
Timings: (8-8-8-24-36-2T 1.5V) Stock -> (7-7-7-21-28-1T 1.65V)

GPU: EVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB

Monitor: 23" Samsung SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080

HDD: Seagate Baracudda 1TB 7200RPM SATA

BIOS Settings:

CPU Multiplier: 19.0 (3.8GHz)
FSB: 200
CPU-NB Freq: 2800
HT Link: 2000
CPU Voltage: 1.5250
CPU/NB Voltage: 1.4000
*VDDA: Auto (2.500~2.800)
*HT Voltage: Auto (1.100~1.400)
*NB Voltage: Auto (1.200~1.500)
ACC: All Cores 2%
C&Q: Disabled
C1E: Enable or Disable?

*: Do I need to set these to a certain value or leave them on "Auto?"

Idle Temps: 30C
Gaming: 35~38C
Load Temp (Prime 95): 40C

I apologize if I spelled anything wrong or missed a value but I typed it from memory...if I missed anything, let me know please.

Thanks,

iSyndicate :]

What we need everytime we try to help.

Since it is almost word for word the exact same procedure everytime, I have this copied and saved to paste here and save all the wasted typing.

Now you have a cpu that you are unlocking. So you need to lock it back so the CORE TEMPS are readable and everything else back to stock/default and then follow along with the fishing lesson. Starting with the cores locked back will allow a baseline temp that can be extrapolated from the CPU TEMP to give us a CORE TEMP reading when unlocked again. Good luck.

Not just a single fish but Fishing Lessons by "trents".
With those CPUs you would need to be concerned with these things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the overcclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

If you have a CPU with an upward unlocked multiplier so now just start increasing your CPU multiplier by .5x.

After each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core temps. Max stable core temp is typically 55-58c, somewhere in there.

When you first fail the 20 minute Prime blend test, increase your CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. If you still fail, add another .025 vcore. Then retest, repeating the pattern outlined. Stop adding vcore when your reach 1.5 or core temps exceed the parameters mentioned above.

Failing the Prime test can mean blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers dropping out. Post back after you have added two increments of vcore or hit the mid 50's core temp wall. When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report.

I hope you are not trying to run your ram at 1600 mhz with that CPU. You don't really say what your actual ram speed is set to in bios, just that its rated for 1600 mhz. That family of CPUs had a fairly week ICM and were much more stable with the ram at 1333. I think you're CPUNB voltage at 1.4 is too high. Try the ram at 1333 and the CPUNB frequency at 2400-2600 with the CPUNB voltage at 1.25-1.3. Also, try bumping the ram voltage to up by .025, even with it at 1333. By the way, performance improvement of ram at 1600 vs. 1333 is practically nonexistant.

I hope you are not trying to run your ram at 1600 mhz with that CPU. You don't really say what your actual ram speed is set to in bios, just that its rated for 1600 mhz. That family of CPUs had a fairly week ICM and were much more stable with the ram at 1333. I think you're CPUNB voltage at 1.4 is too high. Try the ram at 1333 and the CPUNB frequency at 2400-2600 with the CPUNB voltage at 1.25-1.3. Also, try bumping the ram voltage to up by .025, even with it at 1333. By the way, performance improvement of ram at 1600 vs. 1333 is practically nonexistant.

Yes, and i learnt that the hard way, setting my RAM to 1600Mhz in the BIOS with the volts it needed caused my system to crash out, i had to clear CMOS to get it to boot again, after that the CPU was a little unstable for a short while.

Its fixed itself after a few boots with everything at stock, i will not be trying that again....

Yet, now that i have said that i'm going to halfway contradict myself :p

After a lot of playing around i managed to get it to run completely stable at 1525Mhz, this with 8-8-8-20 timings @ 1.56 Volts http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2403293 after a lot of fiddling with it i have found that to be the absolute max stable.

So close to 1600Mhz with low Volts and overclocked timings, i even managed to get my Vcore down a tad, Not bad eh? :D

Okay, so I went in BIOS and reset everything back to default and haven't touched my RAM. This is everything from 3.2 GHz Stock ~ 4.0GHz with the other two cores locked.

PS: Yes, I was running 1600MHz DRAM Frequency but I haven't had any problems or anything. (It defaults to 1333MHz in BIOS and I just raised the Freq. to 1600MHz and changed voltage to 1.5000 on DRAM)

Attachments

• 3.2GHz.PNG
    3.2GHz.PNG
    155.8 KB · Views: 7,507
  • 3.3GHz.PNG
    3.3GHz.PNG
    216.8 KB · Views: 7,495
  • 3.4GHz.PNG
    3.4GHz.PNG
    216.7 KB · Views: 7,471
  • 3.5GHz.PNG
    3.5GHz.PNG
    212.7 KB · Views: 7,490
  • 3.6GHz.PNG
    3.6GHz.PNG
    216.9 KB · Views: 7,471
  • 3.7GHz.PNG
    3.7GHz.PNG
    219.8 KB · Views: 7,431
  • 4.0GHz.PNG
    4.0GHz.PNG
    157.2 KB · Views: 7,078
  • 3.9GHz.PNG
    3.9GHz.PNG
    213.2 KB · Views: 7,128
  • 3.8GHz.PNG
    3.8GHz.PNG
    217 KB · Views: 7,197
  • Voltages.txt
    169 bytes · Views: 160
Last edited:
Out of my own curiosity i just had a look, 1333Mhz is the max for Phenom II http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...ges/phenom-ii-key-architectural-features.aspx

I have torture tested mine with the RAM at this speed and its absolutely fine, my computer also runs beautiful, i don't see any problems.
But anything over 1333Mhz i guess would be an overclock, and so at your own risk.

Phenom II CPU's are 3 years old (this month) released Jun 2009, so they are pre PC3-12800.

I think what my CPU, or actually probably the Motherboard did not like was the 1.65 Volts i set as my modules need that to run at 1600Mhz. strange as that is given i can get then to run just under that with far less volts.

Thanks for that info too Frakk, I put the DRAM Frequency back to 1333MHz and changed my Timings to 6-6-6-18-24-1T 1.65V.

iSydicate, would you please repost images of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD? You crammed so much into that screen capture that it shrunk the pics so small I can't even read the values in the tabs I mentioned. I'm using a laptop and the screen is not large. Please capture individual images rather than group them into huge conglomerates like that. Snipping Tool in Windows accessories is great for framing and cropping images.

These?

Attachments

• Stock.PNG
    Stock.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 6,952
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 6,993
  • 3.7GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    3.7GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 6,887
  • 3.8GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    3.8GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 8,719
  • 4.0GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    4.0GHz CPU-Z.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 6,854
Yeah, those. Thanks.

So, is it stable now at 4.0 ghz with the ram at 1333 instead of 1600?

Increasing the CPUNB frequency to about 2600 mhz will have a positive impact on memory performance but will need some NB voltage increase to support, maybe 1.25v.

Yes, the dual core is fine at 4.0GHz w/ 1333MHz DDR3 but I'm trying to get 4.0GHz with the other two unlocked, have I reached my limit of 3.8GHz as X4?

The 'short' answer...

Yes, the dual core is fine at 4.0GHz w/ 1333MHz DDR3 but I'm trying to get 4.0GHz with the other two unlocked, have I reached my limit of 3.8GHz as X4?

The short answer may be in fact yes 3.8Ghz is your limit. That said there are things you seem to do just for the doing that are strange when we have been discussing getting the configuration to stock condition and make that even spec condition.

The capture below is what you say you did to the ram and surely if that has been done before then in an unlocked condition can make for a problem. Surprised it is n0t an issue with only two cores in use.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111512&stc=1&d=1339594580

Attachments

• a555OC.jpg
    a555OC.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7,845
Okay. I unlocked it to X4 and here's what I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 B55
Multiplier: 19.0
Bus Speed: 200
CPU-NB Frequency: 2600
HT Link: 2000
CPU Voltage: 1.5250
CPU-NB Voltage: 1.3000
*DRAM Frequency: 800Mhz (1600 Effective) (Dual Channel DDR3)
*DRAM Voltage: 1.5000

*: My DDR3 RAM is rated for 1600MHz, so is there supposed to be a compatibility issue with 1600MHz DDR3 with this chip? It seems to run faster (applications, loading times on games etc..) I know the IMC is supposed to be 1333MHz and that "1333MHz vs 1600MHz" speed difference is "non-existant" but am I really "harming" anything if it's stable, temps are fine and I "notice" the difference? I also know which frequencies could be tightened to what i.e 1333MHz (CL6 6-6-6-18-24-1T) vs 1600MHz (CL7 7-7-7-21-28-1T) They both have a DRAM Voltage of 1.5~1.65. So what's the deal, should I downclock my RAM from 1600MHz to 1333MHz or leave it as 1600MHz as an X4 B55?

If it's stable at 1600 then run it that way. And it is the timings that can be tightened, not the "frequency". I'm trying to think if I can remember hearing of anyone being able to overclock a X4 B55 to 4.0 ghz on the forum and I can't. Seems like 3.8 is what folks max out at.

3.8 is not the limit.

I’ve been over 4.0 on stock air with this CPU. I’ve done it with 2 cores and 4 cores. I currently hold the record for stock cooling with this chip.

Hey Witchy!

Nice ta see ya.....
Uh wait a sec, this isn't the Witchdoctor necro'ing a thread. :sly:

As for proof of said record, I'm sure we'd all like to see it....

Back