• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen 2600 Benchmark Spotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think all we can really expect from a refresh is a 10% increase in clock speed. Anything more than that would be a surprise, a welcome surprise though.

What AMD really need to sort out with this launch is the ram issues. My R5 1600 is really hampered in that respect. My ram is only running at 2666 and I cannot get any more out of it. As well all know the ryzen chips love fast ram and if they can guarantee speeds of 3200 or more then a big performance gain may also come from that area.

So I am kind of guessing that the Ryzen 2xxx will be similar to what the Refresh was to Haswell. More of a tweak and refinement than anything else. Or maybe more like Kaby Lake was to Sky Lake.
Im not expecting more than a couple percent ipc increase if that. Same with clockspeed increases...Id be surprised if it was 10% honestly.

Iirc, that link shows a 200 mhz base clock increase which is part of those results. So ipc cant really be extrapolated accurately from there.

What AMD really need to sort out with this launch is the ram issues. My R5 1600 is really hampered in that respect. My ram is only running at 2666 and I cannot get any more out of it. As well all know the ryzen chips love fast ram and if they can guarantee speeds of 3200 or more then a big performance gain may also come from that area.

This is one of the things I had on my mind when I mentioned that we are beta testers. Ryzen was released too soon ( even though it was already delayed ) and for about a year we see constant patches to a product which was promissed to run with memory at 3200+ since first day. It looks like most motherboards handle 3200 memory as long as it's Samsung single rank. However this memory isn't cheap and most other IC will run at 2666-3200, depends on luck. I still don't know what AMD was thinking when just after premiere they said that they recommend fast memory like 3600 when it's nearly impossible to stabilize it on most motherboards about a year after premiere.
It's not that users really need high frequency RAM as they can live with 2666 too, but there was a lot of noise that Ryzen likes higher memory frequency and users just expect it to work as advertised.
Hard to say if we are going to see any better situation after Ryzen 2k premiere.

This is one of the things I had on my mind when I mentioned that we are beta testers. Ryzen was released too soon ( even though it was already delayed ) and for about a year we see constant patches to a product which was promissed to run with memory at 3200+ since first day. It looks like most motherboards handle 3200 memory as long as it's Samsung single rank. However this memory isn't cheap and most other IC will run at 2666-3200, depends on luck. I still don't know what AMD was thinking when just after premiere they said that they recommend fast memory like 3600 when it's nearly impossible to stabilize it on most motherboards about a year after premiere.
It's not that users really need high frequency RAM as they can live with 2666 too, but there was a lot of noise that Ryzen likes higher memory frequency and users just expect it to work as advertised.
Hard to say if we are going to see any better situation after Ryzen 2k premiere.

The thing that makes me think they have improved the situation slightly is that it seems most reviewers of the apu’s have been able to use the ram at 3200. Whether that is because it was Samsung I couldn’t say though. But yeh they need to sort the situation out as things like compatibility issues seriously harm sales. And we have benefited from this competition from AMD as intel had to step up its game too.

The thing that makes me think they have improved the situation slightly is that it seems most reviewers of the apu’s have been able to use the ram at 3200. Whether that is because it was Samsung I couldn’t say though. But yeh they need to sort the situation out as things like compatibility issues seriously harm sales. And we have benefited from this competition from AMD as intel had to step up its game too.

It was Samsung that AMD included in the APU review kit. G.Skill FlareX. Even at the launch last year of the Ryzen I was able to run 4x8GB of ram at 3200 CL14 with very liitle effort. Ryzen just wasn't working well(at all) with some types of ram. Part of the problem there was for a budget system who goes out and spends the extra 25% for Samsung based ram? I think that just compounded the issue since many early adopters went the budget route and ended up with ram compatibility issues. Right or wrong though AMD did warn people to expect lower ram speeds as official support was quite low.

I think all we can really expect from a refresh is a 10% increase in clock speed. Anything more than that would be a surprise, a welcome surprise though.

Well, how hampered are we talking? I read an article that says about 5-10% improvement from faster ram. Now when using Intel, most people mention it's not worth the bother for that 5% to go faster ram...

There are few benchmarks that see as much as 20%, but Intel is also seeing that stuff when compressing folders, which isn't typical user workload..

It gets better with frequency but even 10% is good result looking that this is "only" RAM. Some applications will show more. I guess it will help APU some more but who will buy expensive memory for APU ? 10% is the difference between the 2200G and 2400G APU in games.

Btw, I'm able to set stable 3466 RAM on APU 2200G/ASRock X370 ITX, 3600 is booting and can pass some benchmarks but isn't stable ( maybe I missed something and I still have to check some other kits ) ... this is on Samsung RAM and right now I don't have any other IC for tests except SODIMM but that doesn't count.

I can do it to. Plenty of people talking about the Ryzen watch out Intel the Ryzen is closing in on you lol.
it's the Athlon XP days all over again!
Just a side note, It seems that Intel fanboys just can't keep there hands off AMD threads. Seems that AMD is getting under your fanboy skin!
AMD is putting out a CHIP the Ryzen and YOU Intel fanboys FEAR this! For over 6 years now all Intel has managed to do is sideways lateral moves tinny improvements Core i9 is the new flagship and Intel knows they are running out of room.
The facts are clear AMD is doing much better and the Ryzen CHIP is the new Athlon XP!
I can assure you I am well pleased with my Ryzen3 it is a fantastic CPU fast and reliable! It sure is funny when I come on talking good about the AMD line you Intel fanboys come on to tell me I know nothing! LOL WHATEVER! You keep thinking YOU ARE ALL KNOWING! BECAUSE YOU ARE!

Last edited:
Let's stick to the topic, shall we?

Trickson, if you would like to continue to talk the merits of your Ryzen 3, go start another thread. Its more than clear this will not stop unless someone stops it. ;)

EDIT: And with that edit after I just posted this, you are out of this thread since you can't figure out how to listen and stay on topic.

Last edited:
"AMD can take significant part of the market if they stop with all the BS and focus on releasing good products which will convince users that with high performance also comes high quality."

"It doesn't mean that AMD is bad. Ryzens are actually huge success, just market is not prepared to move so fast. We can back to this topic in 2-3 years and then I guess we will have much more to say ... if AMD will keep the good work."

Wookmack, which is it? You seem to be playing both sides of the fence here . . . or back pedaling.

"AMD can take significant part of the market if they stop with all the BS and focus on releasing good products which will convince users that with high performance also comes high quality."

"It doesn't mean that AMD is bad. Ryzens are actually huge success, just market is not prepared to move so fast. We can back to this topic in 2-3 years and then I guess we will have much more to say ... if AMD will keep the good work."

Wookmack, which is it? You seem to be playing both sides of the fence here . . . or back pedaling.

That wasn't my take Trents. IF AMD can
1. Keep to their launch
2. with a prodauct that is actually ready and well prepared for public consumption. Trust me there was a lot of ranting in the first few months of Ryzen
3. continue with their trend of good performance with reliability
Only then will they be accepted back into the money market which isn't PC's and gain some serious inroads against Intel and affect their profits.

"which isn't PC's"

What do you mean by that, Shawn? My understanding is that AMD is doing quite well in the console arena and has for some time.

But I do agree that AMD needs to demonstrate some consistency over time in the desktop market in order to regain significant market share. I just strongly disagree with the assertion that Ryzen was less than a success or not a quality product.

Woomack works with server style machines most of the time and I was assuming that's what he was getting at. That's where the money is IMO and business isn't ready to swap over to something so new which when launched was rife with issues. Stability is key to them and they don't trust AMD to deliver yet.

Actually saying about sales I meant Ryzen sales. Check any large online store ( if they are showing sales in numbers ) and you will see that in the same price point, Intel is selling much more processors.
Maybe you don't understand what I want to say ( besides my not best English ) but I know that my posts are sometimes odd.

1. AMD is doing great with Ryzen = much better than previous generation and I actually like it ( have 3 of them, I wouldn't buy them if I didn't want to have them )
2. AMD is failing every single premiere what makes end-users think that their products are not ready for release = issues with motherboards, BIOS, graphics cards issues ( whole RX400 reference cards )
3. AMD is better than Intel if we compare performance/price of Ryzen and competitive Intel processors
4. Threadripper is great success if we look at performance/price ... still is total fail if we look at sales ( I'm not saying it's bad CPU series )
5. I didn't mention server chips but finally there are servers in mass production based on AMD chips while they haven't existed for last ~10 years.
6. AMD existence on server market doesn't mean that companies trust AMD and simply barely anyone is buying their servers.
7. AMD processor sales went up by 30% ( not sure the real number right now so just example ) ... comparing to their previous numbers which were really low, but it doesn't mean they took 30% of the market.
8. Post #30, first statement isn't opposite of the other one, one statement says that AMD can take big part of the market if they focus on their work and stop making obvious mistakes ...and the other one says they will achieve that in 2-3 years if they won't fail multiple premieres like they did so far.

Unfortunately, I see PC chip sales continuing to decline until it's an almost nonexistent niche. Not this year or the next, but probably in the lifetime of most members here. Everything is going to the "cloud" (which is just offsite servers) and that is where the real money will be. Dolk seems to have nailed the future of "personal" computing-it's a dead end. Graphics will be processed before being sent to your terminal, on site storage won't be an option unless you can use flash storage or something similar, and your "CPU" will be some ARM chip for routing signals to your display. That puts the real money right where Woomack, Johan45 and ED said-server farms/data centers. We've been lucky. Capitalism and a few "Me" generations gave us what will be remembered as the Golden Age. We have rigs that would crush the equipment that put man on the moon, but the expansion of computing will require more room than even an Azza Fusion 4000 has.

The potential vulnerability of such a society is a topic for another time and place.

Unfortunately, I see PC chip sales continuing to decline until it's an almost nonexistent niche. Not this year or the next, but probably in the lifetime of most members here. Everything is going to the "cloud" (which is just offsite servers) and that is where the real money will be. Dolk seems to have nailed the future of "personal" computing-it's a dead end. Graphics will be processed before being sent to your terminal, on site storage won't be an option unless you can use flash storage or something similar, and your "CPU" will be some ARM chip for routing signals to your display. That puts the real money right where Woomack, Johan45 and ED said-server farms/data centers. We've been lucky. Capitalism and a few "Me" generations gave us what will be remembered as the Golden Age. We have rigs that would crush the equipment that put man on the moon, but the expansion of computing will require more room than even an Azza Fusion 4000 has.

The potential vulnerability of such a society is a topic for another time and place.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Oh gee, thank you for setting in the doomsday atmosphere:rofl: it's not all that bad. At least we won't have to mess with ram anymore.

On a serious note though: you'll have to pay for cloud and it "feels" more expensive than say, buying a laptop and it's yours right on your lap.

you'll have to pay for cloud and it "feels" more expensive than say, buying a laptop and it's yours right on your lap.

I can't bring myself to pay for things I can't touch.

At least we won't have to mess with ram anymore.

But...but...I like doing that. I've been hot rodding things since I shaved the head on my Dad's lawnmower at 14, with 1500 grit sandpaper and a piece of glass. (Yes, it worked).

Oh gee, thank you for setting in the doomsday atmosphere

Not me, it's our need for speed as a species, striving to "improve", "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!". Although, I think some of those torpedoes will find their mark on the way to that computing utopia.

Back