• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm back on the Ryzen train again. Microcenter had the 1700X on sale for $370 with $50 off the mobo, so I added the ASRock B350 Pro 4 for $40. ASRock came out with a new BIOS that has a working core voltage setting and a working XMP profile for my DDR4-3000 to run at 2933. As has been typical with my previous 1700s and 1700X, overclocking is minimal. For true 100% stability, all of them would end up between 3800 and 3900. All could make benchmarking runs at 3900, and two could go to 4 GHz but not truly stable. But at the low price I'm at, I can deal with that with the plus that now the RAM is at 2933 @ CL15. If I had spent $250 or more on the motherboard, I'd be a little cranky.

BTW, the ASRock B350 Pro 4 and more expensive B350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 have identical circuit layouts and use the same BIOS. I like the Pro 4 since it has no stupid lights and, of course, it is cheaper.

Could you (or someone else with an Asrock B350 or X370 board besides the Fatal1ty Professional) tell me whether the CPU temperature reported on your board is the actual chip temperature, or if it's a motherboard sensor? The easiest way to see is to open Ryzen Master and the Asrock monitoring utility and then start Prime95 and see if what the board is reporting for CPU matches what Ryzen Master is reporting.

I'm trying to figure out if the Fatal1ty Pro reporting from a motherboard sensor is a bug that might be fixed, or if this is just how Asrock does things? Strange as it may seem, not being able to set my fan rotation directly off the CPU core temperature sensor is basically a deal breaker for me. My case has super high RPM fans to provide max performance when needed, so I need to be able to choke them back under idle/low load conditions and know they'll still spin up when needed. A motherboard based CPU sensor responds too slowly to be useful in that regard.

With the very low OC headroom on these chips would you say that its effectively not worth the effort to go with a liquid cooled setup?

Every PC I have built in many years for myself or technically capable folks have been water cooled. I want to build a new Ryzen rig probably go for an R5 1600X, but Im thinking why spend the extra cash on liquid cooling if its not going to give much extra headroom?

Also has anyone worked with any of the MSI boards?? Im looking at newegg trying to price out a motherboard and the ones catching my attention are mostly MSI, but I really dont want to fight with the damn thing too much.

In my case I didn't find any difference between the NH-D15 and ambient water cooling. The CPU wasn't that hot to begin with and it hits the voltage limit before the cooling limit. That was my experience with 3 CPUs

Could you (or someone else with an Asrock B350 or X370 board besides the Fatal1ty Professional) tell me whether the CPU temperature reported on your board is the actual chip temperature, or if it's a motherboard sensor? The easiest way to see is to open Ryzen Master and the Asrock monitoring utility and then start Prime95 and see if what the board is reporting for CPU matches what Ryzen Master is reporting.
I can't find any "Asrock monitoring utility" at the ASRock website. Here's what is listed:

ASRock downloads.jpg

Another thing I don't understand. How could CPUID update HWMonitor for Ryzen and not adjust for the +20C offset on the 1700X and 1800X? WTF is wrong with them?

Another thing I don't understand. How could CPUID update HWMonitor for Ryzen and not adjust for the +20C offset on the 1700X and 1800X? WTF is wrong with them?
Have you bothered to submit feedback to them?

There is the possibility that they don't want to add to the confusion... One took that reports real temperatures vs just reporting what the sensor tells them. Just a thought.

I can't find any "Asrock monitoring utility" at the ASRock website. Here's what is listed:

It's actually part of the F-Stream Tuning Utility on my board. It's odd there's not a non-branded version for your board. No big deal though, HWInfo and Speedfan both should be able to read the board sensors too, I think. Thanks for the help, by the way. :)

Also, I think it's sort of funny how the motherboard box on the Fatal1ty boards says "made in collaboration with Fata1ity", when the boards are apparently identical to cheaper non-branded ones. I guess he was instrumental in picking out... the color scheme? I should probably stop harping on this, but I really don't understand this "brand", and why it would actually appeal to anyone.

Have you bothered to submit feedback to them?

There is the possibility that they don't want to add to the confusion... One took that reports real temperatures vs just reporting what the sensor tells them. Just a thought.
Yes, I gave them feedback just like I did to ASRock for their BIOS issues and FireWire for AIDA64.

Please explain how could it be confusing for anyone if they show the proper temperature? Its confusing now, right? They know what CPU it is so ........

Leave it as read for the 1700

Subtract 20C for 1700X and 1800X

Its not that hard to do.

Yes, I gave them feedback just like I did to ASRock for their BIOS issues and FireWire for AIDA64.

Please explain how could it be confusing for anyone if they show the proper temperature? Its confusing now, right? They know what CPU it is so ........

Leave it as read for the 1700

Subtract 20C for 1700X and 1800X

Its not that hard to do.

Example 1: person expects a 20 deg offset as AMD stated. Software reports 60C. Is it assumed that is correct or is that with the offset? It adds more problems to the mix if you ask me.

Additionally, if AMD decides to change the offset with a microcode update, then HWmonitor is now wrong. IMO it's better to just report the data given and let the person figure it out. The software is merely relaying the temperature as it reads it.

Example 1: person expects a 20 deg offset as AMD stated. Software reports 60C. Is it assumed that is correct or is that with the offset? It adds more problems to the mix if you ask me.

Additionally, if AMD decides to change the offset with a microcode update, then HWmonitor is now wrong. IMO it's better to just report the data given and let the person figure it out. The software is merely relaying the temperature as it reads it.

This. A false high is safer than a false low.

The temp offset from AMD was silly. I can't believe they did that honestly.
I concur, but they did. If I had to maintain a program that monitored CPU temp, I wouldn't code the offset. I think it would just create a pending issue (did and adjust the offset with a microcode update? Did they remove it?) That may or may not need to be resolved vs just reporting what info I can poll.

Your thinking is typical of how things get effed up today. Being wrong is never a good thing, doing it intentionally is just plain ignorant. If AMD fixes it, CPUID can fix HWMonitor in a few minutes of coding - just undo what they do now to make it read correctly.

Your thinking is typical of how things get effed up today. Being wrong is never a good thing, doing it intentionally is just plain ignorant. If AMD fixes it, CPUID can fix HWMonitor in a few minutes of coding - just undo what they do now to make it read correctly.
Let's look at this ignorance:

-Software that is designed to report current values from various sensors.
-Software then reports values received from sensors.

What is wrong with that? Functioning as intended. Tell AMD to fix their sensor. Not the fault of sensor reading software. Why make a broken system even more broken by adding more fuss to the mess? Or better idea, I can write a program that compounds the issue to recursively add complexity to the situation until it reads 0K degrees. Let's do that.

AFAIK, software just reads a sensor. It's not the 3Rd party monitoring software that integrated a 20C offset ..

In my case I didn't find any difference between the NH-D15 and ambient water cooling. The CPU wasn't that hot to begin with and it hits the voltage limit before the cooling limit. That was my experience with 3 CPUs

Am I the only one who thinks this is huge? This opens the door for a lot more people to throw their chip against the wall until it squeals without the investment in Big Water.

I don't think the software utility's programmers care. AMD does not care about the temperature or the minuscule percentage of us.

With the updated HWmonitor it shows Motherboard Vcore only all the rest of the voltages are off and say VIN 1-8. They just don't give a crap anymore.

Back