• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I at least have an argument for it with procs , and my monitor is ready for replacement , and a SSD would be nice , and I'd like to try some DDR 4 , and...See? It sneaks up on me! LMAO

New Intel is not without problems either. Zen is marketable now. AMD needs to hurry.

Intel has identified an issue that potentially affects the 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products. This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/201...lex-workloads/

https://communities.intel.com/mobile...tents%2F524553

New Intel is not without problems either. Zen is marketable now. AMD needs to hurry.

This.

I want them to come on strong. I want them to take back the market and start another performance race.

Intel has a problem with a stress test that uses avx2... it's not going to effect 99.99% of home users. Nothing is perfect. ;)

Intel has a problem with a stress test that uses avx2... it's not going to effect 99.99% of home users. Nothing is perfect. ;)
It's not the artificial stress test that's the problem. It's what's not being said that could be a problem.
What programs actually use AVX2? Mostly compilers and assemblers in which errors could cost companies infinite amounts of money and time.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a 5930K , anyway. I want at least 6 cores , HT , and 40 PCIe lanes. That means Haswell-E. AMD doesn't have anything that will touch it. If Zen is out , and comparable , when I'm buying I will look at them. There's also the new socket (chipset?) potential for bugs. I can slap a Haswell in a decent board and be good for several years without drama. I don't want to win the bang-for-buck contest and lose the bang contest. I want bang this time. LOL

I'm looking at a 5930K , anyway. I want at least 6 cores , HT , and 40 PCIe lanes. That means Haswell-E. AMD doesn't have anything that will touch it. If Zen is out , and comparable , when I'm buying I will look at them. There's also the new socket (chipset?) potential for bugs. I can slap a Haswell in a decent board and be good for several years without drama. I don't want to win the bang-for-buck contest and lose the bang contest. I want bang this time. LOL

You know, most cities have a red light district, but you may get more than you pay for!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Unfortunately, I am perpetually on the other end of the spectrum... I do not have the luxury of dream budgets, therefore I make the best of what I have/can get within my set budget range...

My budget took a hit recently. I can't go as big as I wanted , but I'd still like to go for a rig that leans more towards outright performance. It's now going to take some additional saving and take longer to do , but what the hell. I'd just waste the money on food and electricity otherwise. LOL

Rumors end up hurting them more than anything IMO. Getting people riled up about a new product that then takes a year longer than expected to launch and doesn't perform to the expectations that they set.
Sounds a lot like new Oculus CV that everyone expected to be in the $300-400 range and at launch once being able to access the site get hit with a $600 price tag.

I'm still pissed off

Intel only discloses issues when they know that have one. I'm not sure on the ratio, but it seems that companies like HP, Dell, and all are aware of these problems before the consumer world. The electronic engineers work hand in hand with Intel to figure out the problems usually before they get pushed to market, but a couple slip by. All in all this will not affect Intel and AMD at all.

And 40% higher IPC will make ZEN roughly on par with Devil's Canyon, so still behind on the race :(

And 40% higher IPC will make ZEN roughly on par with Devil's Canyon, so still behind on the race :(

Who cares! It beats FX chips and thats all that matters to me. TBH i think everyone is comparing ZEN to Intel too much.

Back