• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Opty CPUs are for the 15G servers that all the top dogs will be releasing 2017/2018.

Okay..... Time for more speculation :)
Intel has stayed with the basic (desktop) 4 Core design since the first i7. To increase performance and price they add SMT (HT) so you get 4 Physical Cores and 8 Threads.
AMD has increased it's Core count (desktop) since the original Phenom. It looks like AMD is going to stay with it's basic (desktop) 8 Core design but add SMT (HT) to it. This would be an 8 Physical Core 16 Thread CPU.

AMD has already stated that it's NEW AM4 motherboard will support it's NEW 14nm CPU and an older 28nm APU. This will make the Die size of the ZEN large compared to it 14nm manufacturing.

From information on the net, AMD has already tapped out it's CPU & GPU. The foundries responsible for making these chips are: TSMC, GF, and Samsung as a backup supplier.

I see TSMC responsible (also because they handle NVidia) for making the 16nm High End R400 GPU's and CPU's.
I see GF's responsibility with the help of Samsung, for making the 14nm Low Power R400 GPU's and APU's.

Sub $400 and at the top of my list. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402 I'm not far off 140 watts with the AMD hex I have now (125) and the performance difference is a lot more than the 11% power draw. AMD is going to have a lot to overcome by the time Zen hits the shelves. The performance isn't their only hurdle. They have a "hearts and minds" problem.

If AMD puts out an outstanding product at a competitive price and it gets good reviews and word of mouth it will sell like crazy.

Sure, if you're willing to budget $400+ on the CPU alone and don't mind a 140W TDP.
the price is quite similar to the 6700k...but the point was they are avaialable (in response to madmutt).

It's funny you mention tdp of the intel, yet the amd octo have the same tdp. ;)

the price is quite similar to the 6700k...but the point was they are avaialable (in response to madmutt).

It's funny you mention tdp of the intel, yet the amd octo have the same tdp. ;)

No they don't. 8350 and 8370 are both 125W, and there's an 8370E model that is only 95W. Also, that 5820 has an absolutely pitiful L2 cache.

Last edited:
No they don't. 8350 and 8370 are both 125W, and there's an 8370E model that is only 95W. Also, that 5820 has an absolutely pitiful L2 cache.

Okay? And as soon as you overclock said octo you're blasting past 125W in an instant.
There are also 220W models available, note.

Oops.. 125w. I don't mind the 140W tdp, lol! I can take that chip 1ghz up and still use less power than the amd would to catch it's performance... pitiful l2 cache or not. :)

Oh this turned into AMD vs Intel again....

Maybe not so Zen?

This would be that hearts and minds thing......LOL I like AMD , I have several of their chips. My only Intel chip is in storage. And I appreciate that AMD isn't competing for the high end , but I suspect that wasn't so much a voluntary decision on Team Red's part. I was more referring to the market helping them along in that respect. I can't imagine they have a corporate doctrine that states "We like second place".

I can't imagine they have a corporate doctrine that states "We like second place".
I'm sure they don't.
They just concentrate on a different market segment.
"Second place" would be the public's perception.

This thread is for AMD ZEN updoming related talk. At least that's why I read it personally.

Offset from comparison to Intel, It will be nice AMD releases a new platform. New boards DDR4, tons of threads to work with. Big increase in single core performance.

But where is the pricing set at.

How about release date?

So 2017 is a good outlook. My Llano rig serves purpose enough to hang on forums and the chip cost me 11$ shipped.

Then question pops about software vs hardware. Forever a game of catch up as we wait for software to utilize lots of threads.

Will ZEN be beneficial with 32 threads on a desktop platform? Can we expect people to buy into this?

Will ZEN clock speeds be a big factor in thread count? Will more threads yield a lower clock speed?

Are these redundant questions? Is the seek time on my SSD not quick enough yet?

LOL. Forums, and people are so predictable.

Not sure if I hate forums, or some of the people on them more.. such incessant whining no matter where you turn.

Back on topic men.. :)

LOL. Forums, and people are so predictable.

Not sure if I hate forums, or some of the people on them more.. such incessant whining no matter where you turn.

Back on topic men.. :)

What a stupid statement. Follow the rules and you don't have to whine about the forums and people you hate.

Back