• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Custom WaterBlock (Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lets break down the cost of my newly made waterblock.

All funds listed in CDN$ ... subtract 30-35% for US$

Copper round bar = $4
3/8" copper refrigeration coil (25') = $15
1/2" copper female-male 90 elbow (9 pcs) = $7
1/2" copper Tees (4) = $2
Brass 1/2" female threaded fittings (2) = $2
Threaded brass end plugs (4) = $3
Polypropalene NPFT hose fittings (2) = $5
Polycarbonate Plexiglass (recycled) = Free
Wing nut, springs, washers and bolts (4 ea) = $5

Looks like for a retail of $43 CDN or about $30 US and tons of skilled labour *hehehe* you can have one too!
Actually I spend CONSIDERABLY MORE than what is listed. It wouldn't surprise me if I spent $500. However, now I have a PLETHORA of supplies to do more mods. Besides ... I am a Construction Contractor by day and recycling materials can really help on a job or at home.

LONG LIVE THE POWER TOOL!

Attachments

• business card edited numbers (Small) (WinCE).jpg
    business card edited numbers (Small) (WinCE).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,260
I can't do a FULL comparison just yet ... I need more data (when the fridge is running I will have enough data).
I just added two HDD coolers which will change my current temps by an unknown amount right now. There are nice little valves I installed to allow me to regulate water flow. (Water will ALWAYS take the path of LEAST resistance) Since I made a hybrid video card cooler I am able to divert all flow to the CPU if needed. Anyone who has a "Y" connector without a regulator (sorry to those who do) is simply HOPING that the water distibution is adequate.

I have been running a 'burn-in' all night and my CPU temp is 40C @ 2V (11x220)
The SATA drives have added atleast 8C to my overall temps.

I would do it ALL again ONLY SOONER if I had realized just how *quiet* and *cool* it can be in my office!

Wow! Very nice & unique man. Your one of the few that can truely say, "I made my very own custom water cooling solution."

Your WB solution is a bit big for my taste, just because it would probably get in the way if I used it. Honestly at first glance, the first thought that comes to mind is I'm a bit leary about how big the heatsinks are & also if they would leak or not. I'm not trying to cut down this thread in any way. Thats just some first impressions or first glance point of views.

I'm very interested to see how this performs!! Good job blue!!

I appreciate the honesty ... I too was leery about using water again after my first disaster.
I have a smaller design in mind now. But it may not get built until I move my hardware INTO a smaller fridge. One day.

PS .. Backup your data often :>

wow, very interesting/cool stuff....
I too, would also be interested in how your block performs. There seem to be a lot of bends in the design of your block. However, sometimes that doesn't matter as much as we think.
Lets see some performance numbers :)

Thanks Blueball for the tip on the RTV... I will keep you posted on development.. since machining is no obstacle for me I'm looking for as much contact with the best conductive materials onto the hottest parts of the HDD. It's amazing how much box heat is generated from the HDD's and I think a well designed solution would be a welcome addition for everyone.
Feel free to convey any thoughts/concerns.
thanks again, and keep up the GREAT work.

PS
you really made me LOL when you mentioned thermal compound might be "too extreme" :D I never thought you would use that term.....

Herbs97 ... The ID of the tubing to the HDD cooler / Mosfet / Video Card is 3/8" ... while the CPU and everything after my valved "Y" is 1/2" ID

Attachments

• Relic block 003 (Small).jpg
    Relic block 003 (Small).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,167
Last edited:
I still have to make a chipset cooler. Wonder what I'll think of for that? LOL

Not alot of room left .... it's gonna be small!

Attachments

• Relic block 004 (Small).jpg
    Relic block 004 (Small).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,167
Im also cheapo on money but i am only 15 dont have much skills in making a wb...but im gonna try and make a watercooling kit for jus need a pump some hose and a nice res, and a radiator.

you guys might want to watch it or youll be gone before you know it, read the rules.

JFettig said:
you guys might want to watch it or youll be gone before you know it, read the rules.

I think he may be referring to the dreaded (shhh!)...warez you mentioned! That is a verboten subject in these forums and by the rules will not be tolerated in any manner shape or form.

BlueBall said:
sry Daniel Dynasty ... I have no warez for sale YET.

Watch my posts ... :drool:

I am not here to sell/trade hardware or software. I didn't mean to imply it either. I'm here to inspire the young minds of tomorrow. Much like I was when I first saw the Tsunami case.

Back