• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU build, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

i don't want to spend more than $400 on this computer. my current setup is:

APU: A8-6500 3.5GHz
Mobo: ASUS F2A55-M/M11BB/DP_MB
RAM: 1X8GB RAM
HDD: Toshiba 1TB HDD
PSU: 350W PSU generic
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower

this build isn't too bad, but i can't record minecraft or emulators because it's too intense and the display driver crashes everytime. if possible i want to stick with an APU for now, but i plan on overclocking RAM and maybe the APU at some point if possible. if anyone could suggest some APU upgrades, good PSU, case, etc it would really help

Sounds like most of your issues could be solved with a discrete video card. $400 won't get you much better than what you have if you want to build something new.

can i run a discrete card instead of the APU? i know a select few cards can crossfire with APUs, would this help? i'm also going to be editing videos and other video production things to make game walkthroughs on youtube. so would an A10-7850k help at all CPU wise?

Asus H81 MoBo+G3258 overclocked with Hyper 212+used 7970/280x or 750Ti new+quality 500W PSU. that's $350 max

OP reuses hi RAM and he's got a setup that smokes any APU setup.

Yes, you can run any discrete video card you want. I don't think your current motherboard supports a A10-7850K

Yes, you can run any discrete video card you want. I don't think your current motherboard supports a A10-7850K

well yes i know this i would need to get a new mobo. and to manu, i have a 500W PSU sitting in the family PC ;) but how could a dual core pentium beat a quad core? i know APUs aren't the best but that doesn't sound quite right

that 3258 is a great cpu for the price and very overclocking friendly. I think that you would like manu2b's build better than an amd apu build.

is a GTX 650 2GB any good for a GPU? or should i stick with the 750 TI?

^This, or grab a used 280X.

You can find some in very good shape with still a year warranty or more (as soon as it is S/N based) for less than $150, and it's twice as fast as a 750ti.

My new build i finally managed to decide on

Current setup:

CPU/GPU: A8-6500 3.5GHz APU + Radeon HD 8570D

RAM:1x8GB ADATA 1600MHz RAM

HDD: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD

Motherboard: ASUS F2A55-M/CSM FM2 board

Case: Rosweill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

PSU: Generic 350W PSU

What's been changed:

CPU: Athlon X4 760K FM2 3.8GHz CPU

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Superclocked Video Card

PSU: EVGA 500 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 500W Power Supply

i finally managed to make a build that won't break the bank. If anyone has any comments or feedback please feel free to share, i'm open to suggestions!!

What is this used for? If it is for gaming you will want to step up a couple notches on the GPU (750Ti is the least I would go - as was mentioned in your other thread).

I also would have went 2x4GB of ram instead of 1x8 as you are leaving performance on the table by only running in single channel...

I also merged the duplicate threads...

Asus H81 MoBo+G3258 overclocked with Hyper 212+used 7970/280x or 750Ti new+quality 500W PSU. that's $350 max

OP reuses hi RAM and he's got a setup that smokes any APU setup.

Agreed. Actually, the 212 isn't even necessary as the 3258 gets into very high clocks on the stock cooler. That's why its such a great CPU. Pair it with the best GPU that fits the budget and you have a build that will beat any APU by leaps and bounds. If he gets the 750Ti, he could keep the no-name low wattage PSU. It's not wise by any means to run a cheap no name PSU, but if the budget simply can't allow it (though I think it will in this case) and the load is low enough, and the parts are cheap enough that they could semi-easily be replaced, I think you can sort of get away with it. I don't recommend it though. If you can afford even a cheap 80+ bronze PSU from a name brand in the $40 range. (even lower- about 350-430W for the 750Ti, and this cheaper) I would go for it. More stable power with less ripple is healthier for your components, as well as the PSU being less likely to fail and/or take some of your other components down the drain with it.

What is this used for? If it is for gaming you will want to step up a couple notches on the GPU (750Ti is the least I would go - as was mentioned in your other thread).

I also would have went 2x4GB of ram instead of 1x8 as you are leaving performance on the table by only running in single channel...

I also merged the duplicate threads...

it will be used for playing minecraft and recording it with a screen recorder. i may play assassin's creed at a later date. i DEFINITELY want to overclock. the reason i chose the Athlon is i simply cannot afford to change to an intel board at this point in time. i'll also be editing the minecraft videos and creating musical cover videos. will this system be capable of at least semi-decent special effects editing? will it be capable of, say, Adobe After FX?

it will be used for playing minecraft and recording it with a screen recorder. i may play assassin's creed at a later date. i DEFINITELY want to overclock. the reason i chose the Athlon is i simply cannot afford to change to an intel board at this point in time. i'll also be editing the minecraft videos and creating musical cover videos. will this system be capable of at least semi-decent special effects editing? will it be capable of, say, Adobe After FX?

Adobe's creative suite of programs run abysmally on AMD cpus, particularly the bottom end ones like Athlon X4s. You're in for a painful experience, I'm afraid :(. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

As TheOCNoob stated, After Effect (and any CS6 app) will run very poorly on this configuration.

Best would be to wait a bit and save enough to go with an Intel platform.

You might be very disapointed with the config you chose and regret your purchase.

Think twice before hitting "Buy".

Seriously, you can afford an Intel Pentium G3258 build just as easily as you can afford an Athlon X4 build. Why don't you go with the Pentium? It's going to be better for you. Pair it with a 750Ti, overclock the pentium, and you have a respectable (if not blazing fast) gaming machine. Will it run Metro last light or Crysis 3 respectably? Hell no. But it'll run lots of other games very well. Especially games that are a couple of years old, and some newish less demanding games like Tomb Raider on "lower" settings (still looks very good. Great game) etc.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/mJG2FT

$460 without Windows.

well i already have a case, a 500W PSU, RAM, etc. the problem is i'm picking out of my parents' pocket for this, and they keep changing what they're willing to spend. if i have to buy it piece by piece which part should i buy first?

Back