• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my core I7 920 overclock temps ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hey guys. been a while since i posted :( but after building a computer for my bud i noticed his temps were pretty damn cool.

build a I5 760 build (using a Prolimatech Megahalem with one Scythe S-FLEX 1600RPM in push) and his idle temps were about 25C and his Prime 95 FULL FFT test was hitting only 42C max (note this is stock settings with speedstep and C-state off. (stock voltages and always at 2.8ghz) i find this to be pretty damn cool and i was like HMM i should test my Core i7 920 out.

i got this (note i have the same Prolimatech Megahalem set up as my buds computer)

Idle temps
idletempcropped.jpg

and load temps
primeloadtempcropped.jpg

being that i only ran prime 95 for 6 minutes, i would think that the temps would go up a little if let ran for 30 plus minutes. I understand being that my 920 is overclocked and has a upped core voltage of 1.275 but thought it was a little high compared to how low his I5 was getting.

should i be worried about my current temps for my overclock? I build my buds computer with a Antec 900 two case. i have the first version of the 900 case and it sucks compared to the 900 two. with his tower, i was able to manage the wires very well and it gets very good airflow which mine suffers from being that theres no cut outs on the motherboard tray for me to manage wires well. I'm thinking about getting the antec 900 two case to help with cooling.

so lmk guys :)

(also want to add) i got him a evga 470gtx (superclocked) and this thing runs at 65C with the fan speed at 65% (not loud out all) while playing Bad Company 2 with everything high at 1920x1080) makes me hate my current 480 temps (which arn't that bad but have to have my fan speed at 73% or so to not go over 74C :( )

Load temps are plenty fine. You can safely go up to about 85c on the i7/i5 chips (I took my old 920 up to 100 at one or two times, and it didnt even throttle). Nice voltage for a 3.8ghz clock, bump that baby up. 4.2ghz seems plenty doable.

i7 is going to be hotter than i5 as it utilizes HyperThreading (adds about 10c at full load, give or take a degree or two). Also, stock voltage/clocks on that i5 make that temperature possible. Turn yours stock and itll probably drop to around 52-55c full load.

Back