• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus tuf black screen after bios splash screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
Hi everyone.
I've recently updated mb bios. No other changes.
Now I have a problem. There's a black screen after "press f2 or del" splash screen. It happens only if pc was shut down. I can't enter bios, and windows doesn't boot up. So I can only restart. After that everything is alright. Also there are no problems if I restart it from windows.

pc
asus tuf x299 mark 1
i7 7800x
RTX 3090 GamingPro OC
g skill 32 GB 16+16
seasonic prime platinum 850
samsung Evo plus 1gb + 2gb

On my asus tuf x570 I had to work with the memory timings after a bios update to get mine to work properly

Reminds me of an issue that seemed to suddenly occur with my Asus A7V8X-X (Via KT400) (socket 462) motherboard, where if I pop in a Thoroughbred with an unlocked CPU multi and set the CPU multi to anywhere other than the default, even when dropping the CPU multi, IIRC, rebooting would fail with a similar symptom, even when stable in the OS, except none of the BIOS screens would appear and I would have to power down and then back up! But in my case, it would shut down normally.

Weird how jedec speeds don't work, but xmp does....

Feel like we're missing part of the story, lol

on my Tuf x570 I did have my timings streamlined past jedec specs. Never had any issues until I updated the bios, then got boot stalls. Had to clear cmos and then redo all the timings- works fine now

Weird how jedec speeds don't work, but xmp does....

Feel like we're missing part of the story, lol

yep, there's more

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It kinda started again. So it wasn't because of xmp after all.
Right now it's more of a delay. It never stops at a black screen and after few seconds bios and then windows boots up.
I've connected a pc speaker and there are 5 beeps. 1 short (like the normal one) and immediately after it 4 short ones.
I've also flashed bios again (it started after I've updated the bios and I thought maybe I did it wrong), cleared cmos and replaced the battery.
And finally I found out that It beeps like that only with rtx3090. With my old 980ti it's a single normal beep and no delay at the start.
3090 works great tho. I mean there are no problems. Could my tuf x299 mb be too old or somehow incompatible?

and here's how it sounds just in case
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XRpFBGI7SZNnzy46CSiZ4ZBTUjhA5ipD/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
soundhunter said:
I see.
Do you know what that beep code is for? I can't find the exact same one.

You'd have to look up the list. As you described it....

5 beeps. 1 short (like the normal one) and immediately after it 4 short ones.

...I'm not sure. You described 5 short, but not sure that is what you were getting at.

Last edited:
The four beeps indicate memory failure. Sounds like you need to play with the timings and voltage a bit.

Thanks! So those are 4 beeps after all?
I see. Could you elaborate? You mean to find correct voltage?
And why does it appear only with this gpu?

You'd have to look up the list. As you described it....

...I'm not sure. You described 5 short, but not sure that is what you were getting at.

I'm not sure if it's 4 and a normal one or a 5 one

I'm not sure if it's 4 and a normal one or a 5 one
Me either... we can't hear it. Your link doesn't give us permission/isn't public.

Slow down.. take a second to gather all your thoughts and replies (use the edit function to add if there are no other posts below). I see a bunch of auto merging of posts. :p :D

Me either... we can't hear it. Your link doesn't give us permission/isn't public.

Slow down.. take a second to gather all your thoughts and replies (use the edit function to add if there are no other posts below). I see a bunch of auto merging of posts. :p :D
I forgot to make it public >< The link should work now.

got it!

And finally I found out that It beeps like that only with rtx3090. With my old 980ti it's a single normal beep and no delay at the start.
3090 works great tho. I mean there are no problems. Could my tuf x299 mb be too old or somehow incompatible?

Not quite as likely as with socket 1366, where I suspect that a 980 is possibly the latest gen Nvidia card you can put in, if it's related to BIOS gen, as 1366 is usually non-UEFI.

A Radeon RX580 in my Asus socket 1366 motherboard, causes the BIOS settings to get lost. So it looks like possibly a Radeon R9 290X is the latest you can install for an AMD card. (maybe the R9 280X)

And that's older than your board, so unless you lose CMOS settings after unplugging, then I don't know if there's actually a compatibility problem.

Last edited:
But it works. I mean windows boots up and everything is alright. The only problem is that little delay and those beeps.
I was thinking - if those are 4 beeps then it actually could be ram. Because of the new gpu and bios update.
I just don't know what should I change (voltage, frequency e.t.c.) to make it work normally. And should I worry that something could be damaged?

But it works. I mean windows boots up and everything is alright. The only problem is that little delay and those beeps.
I was thinking - if those are 4 beeps then it actually could be ram. Because of the new gpu and bios update.
I just don't know what should I change (voltage, frequency e.t.c.) to make it work normally. And should I worry that something could be damaged?

Does all of your BIOS configuration settings get lost after unplugging it from the wall? (also makes you re-enter date and time)

Go to Forums -> Memory and peruse the offerings for setting RAM timings and such. There is a wealth of info there which will keep you busy and will offer some great guidance.

Does all of your BIOS configuration settings get lost after unplugging it from the wall? (also makes you re-enter date and time)
No, nothing like that.

Go to Forums -> Memory and peruse the offerings for setting RAM timings and such. There is a wealth of info there which will keep you busy and will offer some great guidance.
Thanks! I'm sure there will be what I'm looking for. If it's about ram.

Can anyone listen those beeps and tell me what is the code for? I still can't find the same ones. Can't even tell if there are 4 or 5 (first one sounds like a normal one. Should I include it?)

First beep is power on beep. The four after that are memory failure.

But with memory failure you can't boot up windows, right? In my case everything works fine(after signal).
Also, if it's ram then why there's no error with the old gpu?

Back