• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Z170 Premium + icore7 6700K Problem PC switches off & on HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeyman_80

ASUS Z170 Premium + icore7 6700K Problem PC switches off & on HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Hi everybody, I am new to the site and I am seeking your help in any way possible.

I build a PC with the following:
ASUS Z170 Premium
Inter icore 7 6700K 4.0GHz
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
CORSAIR HX 750i PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
Solid state hard drive 500Gb

I have installed Windows 10 (and I also try with Ubuntu 17) and the following is happening:

The PC is not stable for more then 3 - 7 minutes. It switches off and on. This happens no matter what I do. Sometimes I can work for up to 15 minutes. Sometimes it switches off after a minute.

The usual suspect is the the PSU does nt have enough power. However, the PSU is quite a good one, and I have taken the video card out of the system and try it (without the video card 750W should be enough) and the same thing is happening.

I have also try the PSU in another PC and it works fine.

My thoughts are the following:
1- Havent conected the fan to the CPU properly and is overheating.
2- The CPU is faulty
3- The motherboard is somehow faulty
4- The RAM is somehow not syncronized and isnt working together?

before I take it to a shop and they rip me off, do you guys have any idea of what could I try?

Thank you!!!

Checking on #1 is easy... do that.

Doubt its a bad cpu...

Possible the mobo is bad...

Not sure how #4 is possible, but try each stick alone. Make sure you put them in the slot intended for one stick.

I think you are right EarthDog in terms of the mobo may be faulty. How difficult is to update the BIOS of the mobo? I never done such thing...

Easy. Typically it is downloading the file from mobo website and put it on a usb stick, go into to bios and flash. Instructions are online in the manual or paper one in your box.

Id check temps first... what are load temps with a stress test? What cpu cooler do you have?

I have a fan CPU cooler. 120mm which i set at around 1200rpm. The temp are around 35ºC (100ºF) normal function, i have not done a stress test (I will investigate how to do it).

- - - Updated - - -

Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 Multi-Socket CPU cooler

My first thought is the Cpu heatsink isn't mounted correctly and the board is thermal tripping. If your temps are 35c then that's likely not the case, I'd check the mount anyway.

If he's putzing around the desktop and doing basic things at 35C he is likely ok, I agree. I would still test load temps before taking the time for a remount. :)

I also wonder that with 32 gb of 3200 mhz RAM if you need to give a voltage bump to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and the RAM.

Back