• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New obscure silver box thingy...

20121130_150414.jpg
One fancy power supply made with audio servers in mind.

20121130_150429.jpg
yet to order the deserved parts to partner with this but on a lower powered test rig it lets the signal take on rock solid imaging and dynamics. in short it provides big league scale, grip and confidence. seems to explain what vinyl and other digital sources cant quite resolve. I think I may well have exhausted my amps capability to resolve all it has to offer. always an excuse :D

20121130_150446.jpg
and once again with dramatic lighting and extreme angle.

One pretty and crazy expensive computer PSU indeed :bday:
I can rap this whole project up in the next hmmm £1000 :rofl: maybe...

Its erm 12v power for the pico psu.
20121202_000807.jpg
so:-
no1 12v power (clean, high bandwidth and plenty of reserve)
no2 12v pico (worlds smallest computer psu apparently... )
no3 motherboard filters (remove the noise from the pico)
no4 "tempory" file renderer <--- new term I am backing to stick :D
tempory in the sense its not fast enough cpu etc... needs more power.... mmMoAR! :comp:

no 4.5 (yes I forgot a box) 9V battery for driving the USB3 Audio card.

no5 usb converter (converts digital to digital.... :screwy: in short it just controls the stream of data to it with its own clock... it knows if the bits are right but cant re-request them :rofl: well done and a swing and a miss for asynchronous usb myth everywhere :thup:)
no6 the DAC finally something analogue pops out :ty:

20121202_000744.jpg
shelf filling habbit is coming on nice... :shrug:

20121202_000817.jpg
another fine experiment... the roll of insulating tape only serves to let me see into the ssd drive case for the activity light from my seated position :clap:

so mayhap that clears things up...
took me a long time to understand why I needed all that stuff.
retailer is excited and amused at the lengths I go to :rofl:
last time I say something can be finally done :screwy:

Nice work! You have a product!

apart from the pico wont start with the filter in place...
the other filter is too big for the cases in mind.
then I found a £100 linear bench psu on the ethernet modem made a difference... and the source machine :rofl:

right now though I have some class leading tooth ache.
proper please let me pass out or kill me thanks tooth ache.
head like a droped water melon.

so hospital and the thoughts of having teeth smashed out wins over hifi.

its an incredable sound but more enjoyable if your not in absolute agony :rain:
did I mention it really really hurts? :rofl:

science.... the tooth is out there :salute:

Thought i would share my setups.

Yamaha NS-BP400 and harman/kardon HK6550

DSCN2953.JPG

DSCN2956.JPG

DSCN2957.JPG

The TV setup.

JBL ATX30
Technics SA-DX1050 running 5.1 via optical from the pc
Sony (cant remember model) running only a 7" Sony active sub. Because one of the outpus broke.
DSCN2967.JPG

DSCN2968.JPG

Final build. :clap:

20121222_134103.jpg
seems the world didnt end and I found a way to cram things into this slimline case :shock: more amazed it squeezed in the case and fired up than the fact were still here :rofl:

gamers would cry at the specs in this case ;)

20121220_171644.jpg

all it does is uncruch music files... very... very... well :screwy:
8-32Gb ram and 8 cores :D
latency... meh, 25 billionths of a second or so...
awesome source v1.0 :ty:

no longer a myth! :rofl:

Last edited:
nn1000.jpg

Trying to keep it simple.

M-Audio Fast Track Pro, balanced cables to M-Audio BX5a D2.

Previous speakers, Behringer B3031A. I miss them a lot, but have no space currently.
mg5393.jpg

Thanks! My take on sound is very objective and scientific though, endorsing blind testing, proof and measurements to back up made subjective claims and eliminate confirmation/sighted bias and buyer's regret, so it's unlikely my sound set-ups will ever look "pretty" with overly thick brand cables and glowing amplifiers with percentile THD figures :p

Then again, I'd really want to disregard rational thinking for a second and get Magnepan MMGs, haha.

nothin fancy here but it sounds great! boston acoustic voyager 5's hooked up to 500 watt pro logic reciever

470178_10151161526646644_1090176763_o.jpg

Just finished some wood cups, experimenting with my drill press, for my Grado SR-60 headphones. Nothing perfect or special, just a simple cup made with forstner bits and hole saws. I much prefer the wood lathe over the drill press!

Attachments

• IMAG0829_BURST002-1.jpg
    IMAG0829_BURST002-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0830-1.jpg
    IMAG0830-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
...M-Audio BX5a D2.

How long have you had those? I've got some BX8 D2s and the amp in one is starting to flake out a bit.

I'll shoot pics up of both HT and PC setups shortly.

EDIT...it`s an older setup but generally the same. This along with the SBX10 for the PC setup (and some B&W MM-1s for the rear). The sub will take two inputs so normal PC stuff will run off the onboard audio, where more studio related stuff comes off an E-MU 1616m.

DeskSetup2.jpg

Last edited:
How long have you had those? I've got some BX8 D2s and the amp in one is starting to flake out a bit.
I've had them for three months now. I have to say I liked the Behringer B3031A more.

I haven't yet experimented with placement so it could be partially room acoustics, but the BX5A D2 seem to have a very boomy and uncontrolled response on the upper low frequencies, around 200-100Hz. The B3031A did not have the same issue in the exactly same speaker position (then again they're front-firing). It's uncomfortable to listen to, but I'm running a VST wrapper and a parametric equalizer to fix the nasty +10dB spike at 133Hz to make it a lot better.

Also, my other speaker has a lot bigger turn off/on transient than the other one. It pops/clicks quite loudly, whereas the other is silent. This seems to be a common problem in the D2. I'm looking forward to selling these and getting a pair of Genelec 6040A or Magnepan MMG.

I'm very impressed with the rich variety of audio systems in this rather extensive thread. The time was when my hearing was good enough to appreciate all the rich timbres of these systems. Sadly, age and exposure to loud sounds have diminished my ability to hear all those subtle distinctions. I'm 64 now.

I understand that generally people from ages 12 to 30 have the best hearing in the world. But it often diminishes - depending on lots of different factors. Enjoy it while you can hear it.

Again, I applaud the ingenuity and variety I've seen in this thread.

BachOn

I took great care of my hearing and protected it. Didn't matter... I had a mini stroke in my left ear and now it sounds like a cheap tin speaker :(

Age seldom slowly diminishes you. It take bites out of you and just when you get used to less, it's time for it to take another large bite. :shrug:

Back