• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 Vs SLK-800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spuppy21

Registered
Hi guys,
I am getting a new motherboard and using the money I get from selling my k7-master & V9 on ebay ...I am gonna buy a new heatsink. A better one than my Volcano 9. I like the V9's SmartFan II so I am gonna keep it for the new Heatsink. It's alittle noisy but I like the control it gives me. I just was wondering which heatsink is better?
Ax-7 or the SLK-800
Whats an average temp for each using a 80MM fan?
I got plenty of AS3 and plan on using it for the thermal interface.
If you have a smaller fan on either I would like to know your general temps.

I am gonna use an athlon xp 2100+ (13x) with my new system and plan to do a gentle overclock 144 or 150. With Vcore= 1.825-1.900

Thanks for all the advice.
Dan

as far as IM aware the ax7 is the daddy for low cfm fans, but the SLK-800 are very good but need a higher CFM fan for optimum cooling.

but i have niether- just what ive picked up from reading others posts :)

so i would wait for more advice ;)

I upgraded from the V9 to the AX-7 and am glad I did so. Temps for the sig. rig at 1.85v

@ 4000rpm = max 42/ ave 39 (24hrs prime95)
@ 5400rpm = max 39/ ave 36 (24hrs prime95)

For normal use (video editing, CAD etc) I have the fan at 3000-3500rpm and temps still stay in the 30's.

The SLK is the better cooler but appears not to suit Tt's SF2.

Edit - would/could you sell the V9 without the fan?

I have the SLK800 and the smartfan2 and it gives pretty good performance. However I havn't got good airflow through my case at the moment so my temps aren't amazing...

I get 38C on DIE with the smartfan on thermal control running at 3000rpm
I get 40C on DIE at full load (Prime95 + Folding) and the smartfan goes up to 3500rpm.

I think I need to relocate the temp sensor underneath the chip to get it to run more efficiently coz I can't even hear the damn thing at those rmp levels :)

A couple of 120mm Deltas should do the job methinks :D

try using the ax-7 with the tornado. some in here have said that the smart fan II and the slk-800 isn't a good combo but i guess that would depend on what the application is.

With the sidepanel off and the smartfan2 on full power I got my on DIE temps down to 29C idle and 31C Full load which wasn't too bad :D

I think a duct above the heatsink and some nice cool airflow through the case will do wonders for me :cool:

Actually now you mention it I have. But I am gonna wait until I get my Rheobus so I can control the noise properly lol. I can't work with a jet engine on my desk :p

trust me, the buses help!! i thought i was so tolerant of noise from these fans. i am finding more and more i am not. i have the pcmods bus and it is a lifesaver.....or rather, an earsaver!!

I have the AX-7 with an Antec Smart Fan which gives temps of around 33C idle/46C Folding on my 1.4 Tbird...certainly no stellar performer, but QUIET.
It all depends on your degree of overclock and your tolerance for loud fans...
Spent many years working on jet engines, don't want one in my case...:D

Back