• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ballistix, 512mb pc3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(cf)eclipse

Registered
just thought you guys should know.. i thought micron stopped production on the 5b G chips, as all the ballistix i have seen as of late, aside from the pc4000 512mb tracer rated for 2.5-4-4 (which is EOL too, afaik), has all been 5b D chips, either 4 8 or 16 chips to make the correct size (5b D is typically a 64mb chip ;))

however, i got a stick today from newegg.. check this out:

1_106.jpg

see that .16TG on the white sticker? it's a double sided 512mb stick... with the old school 5b G chips, interestingly enough.

on top of that, it's probably the best clocking ballistix stick i've personally gotten to use, it's 32m stable with minimal tweaking at 260mhz, 2.5-2-2-6 with 2.8v :santa: 3-3-3 seems to be topping out around 290mhz with the same voltage. if i get enough time tonight, i'll do some quick voltage scaling tests and see if it likes 3.1-3.3v like my older 5b G does :cool:

i'll get some screens up in a while :D

(side note, these sticks are going for $60 at the egg)

Ok, if I mix G with D are they gonna play nice and go dual for me? How'd you get that bench on PC3200? I can't get timings that tight...

my D stick only makes it to ~250-255mhz memtest stable at 2.5-2-2 with 2.9v, but it hates windows. i blame the memory controller on my opteron

also.. how did i get it? i think i might have gotten a lucky stick, who knows. CCU's stick is G too, so we're gonna swap, i'll see if luck can hold out :)
lastly, this stick isn't scaling as well with voltage as i would like.. but the benefit of that is that 250mhz is rock solid with 2.6v at the above settings, even through almost 5 hours of prime and an overnight windows memtest :p

Hey guys, just wondering, is that .16TG THE way to tell what chips it has? If so, what will the D chips say, .16td? Thanks in advance.

I tried earlier, I'm gonna rip um out again to see if I can't get off the HS. Couldn't get those danged clips off earlier. Gonna get a razor. I'll type the numbers becuz the pics turned out horrible.

Ya, those little bitty things? Yes, they have everything on both sides, but I thought all 512's had that...

I just oredered another stick off ebay. I hope it's G chips too. I've heard that they perform better, but they hit DDR500 in dual channel, I'll be happy.

also, the PN on the sticker, 47072 = double sided 5b G. the one with D is 58092

here's an update on my double sided G stick:

1_110.png

i think it's time to ramp the voltage :p

Know wonder my retail stick hit 300MHz. It's 5b G. It says .16TG plane as day.

Retail. You can tell the difference between this and the OEM becuase of the Traser symbol.
retail.jpg

I have no idea what my OEM stick is because of all the letters and numbers. I was able to do 285MHz at 2.5-3-3-8 and hit a wall.
OEM.jpg

Back