• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton 2500+ won't oc at 200x11 (freezes/reboots)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigcletus

I am told that the cpu i have which is a barton 2500+ will oc to 3200+ speeds with ease. Well, mine sure doesn't :confused: . I increased the FSB from 166 (stock) to 200 and it seemed to boot up fine. Ran winxp for about 2 minutes, and then it rebooted its self. Then it would freeze if I tried to load windows. My cpu temps where not even to normal operating temps so it could not have overheated. Since then, I went back to the stock FSB which runs at 1.8 Ghz :cry:

I think the problem is my ram or voltage. My Vcore is stock at 1.6V. I am using pc2700 512mb ram. It used to be detected as DDR 266 but once I switched the BIOS from manual DDR Clock to SPD, it was detected as DDR 333??? Haven't tired overclocking it to 200 since I changed it from manual to SPD. I am thinking about getting a gig of PC3200 ram. Would that work better for OC'ing? Or should I increase my voltage? Thanks for any help.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!

Since it is pc2700, that more than likely is the problem...... using pc3200 will normally get you to 3200+ speeds right out the box without any tweaking. you should consider giving us some specs to see if maybe something else could be going on with your system.

Try to change the multi 13.5. If you can't change the multi, get consider getting new ram, as it is probably your bottle neck. However, my crucial 2700 ran [email protected] 6-2-2-2 on my 2500 barton. Good luck

He won't be able to change his multi if his barton is super-locked (likely if purchased recently).

I would really recommend doing it the old fashioned way and bump up incrementally... But that seems to be a dying trend with everyone trying to score the slamdunk. Anyway...

Try memtest86 at 200fsb, 1:1 mem ratio with LOOSE timings to make sure your ram can handle it.

www.memtest86.com

Any OC'ing efforts should be tested with Prime95. Also, your rebooting in windows is caused by default error protection built into windows. You can turn that off by going Control Panel/ System/ Advanced/ Startup and Recovery/ and untick "Automatically Restart" under system failure. This will stop your rebooting so you can assess your problems a little better.

Just a note, every chip, every motherboard, along with every other component in your system has to work together to achieve a successful overclock. There are no gurantees. Good louck.

ye most prolly ur ram, as above, try loosening ur ram timings, one at a time by 1 or somin and bump your fsb up by 5-10mhz incriments, run mem test and prime to check stability of ur mem for 5 mins between each one, then when ur happy and prime finishes each check with no errors run it for 24 hours +

Welcome to the forums!

I am by no means an expert, so think twice about what I recomend! I would drop the FSB a little and increase the voltage to the CPU, if you have decent cooling. Just increase the voltage in small increments, and watch your temps! Also, have you bumped up your RAM voltage?

Again, I am no expert at o/c. You might can find more info about CPU and RAM voltages on this site.

Good luck!

E

Thanks for all of the great advice and the welcoming :) I bought this setup about 6+ months ago so I am able to adjust my multi on the board. Everything is adjusted on the board by jumpers, not in the bios. I don't think I can adjust by one mhz at a time either...

The ram timings are also a little hard for me to understand. My bios lets me adjust them, but it is not as intuitive as some other bios I have seen. Maybe newer bios flash would have a better layout. I think I need to do some more reading up on what the ram timing numbers mean as I don't know what "loosen" the timings refers to. Anyone have any good links on understanding the ram timings?

I would like to increase my Vcore to 1.7, as I have seen others with my setup have good luck with that voltage. Right now I am at the stock 1.6. Is there a risk of frying things with a higher voltage? Is the Vcore the cpu voltage or the ram's voltage? Thanks!

Back