• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 4 Beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cranked it up last night, fully expecting it to be unplayable on my rig. After I got the obligatory punkbuster issues worked out, I was able to play for a while at 1080p on medium settings. It was a little choppy, but much better than I expected! Can't wait until I upgrade to haswell in a couple months. :)

Agreed, it made a pretty big difference for me as well. Moving network smoothing to 40% also had an impact as well so thanks to all for that hint.

For the first time (since the update) I began to have some choppiness in game... I bumped up network smoothing to 80% and it seemed like it helped.

Should I try 40%? (I'm gonna in a few minutes, I'll report back)

Last edited:
at this point I think we're mostly suffering from server side issues. What I've seen is that some servers regardless of location run better then others which just tells me something on the server software isn't right yet.

Also not all driver features are supported in the game.. I have been getting a smoother experience with adaptive v-sync and 1 frame pre-buffer settings - which definitely points towards some current driver incompatibilities.

Was hoping to try the beta today to see how my GTX470's would hold up.

I just keep getting a PnkBstrA.exe initialization failed error.

Re-installed punkbuster twice, both services are running but nothing helps.

Gave up and uninstalled BF4 and Origin!

Will BF4 require Origin? If so I might just not even bother with it, I see lots of people having problems with it. Where as everyone I know (including myself) are very happy using Steam.

Was hoping to try the beta today to see how my GTX470's would hold up.
I just keep getting a PnkBstrA.exe initialization failed error.
Re-installed punkbuster twice, both services are running but nothing helps.
Gave up and uninstalled BF4 and Origin!
Will BF4 require Origin? If so I might just not even bother with it, I see lots of people having problems with it. Where as everyone I know (including myself) are very happy using Steam.

There is a known issue w/ Punkbuster; and I believe there is a fix, but you would need to do some google'ing to find it...

Also, keep in mind this is a beta, there are bugs. If you are having additional problems w/ Origin, maybe start a thread, surely someone would be able to help you.

BF4 beta vs BF3 / effect of cpu upgrade

Upgraded from AMD Phenom II x3 720 to FX-8350 and did a couple of quick benchmarks in BF3 multiplayer and the BF4 beta. Nice to finally see my graphics card given a workout now it's no longer CPU limited.

Got a cooler arriving soon so will do it again to see if overclocking provides any benefit despite now being graphics limited. If I've left anything important off the chart feel free to request it for next time.

Did it on Low and Ultra, keeping to the default settings. Used HWiNFO64, with Fraps feeding it the fps.

EDIT resolution 1920x1080.

BF4 vs BF3.gif

p.s. Thanks for the help Earthdog!

Last edited:
I have a lot of choppiness, and fps drops.

Anywhere from 60-80fps avergae, and then severe drop to 12, and below at times.

CPU is above 80%

Bad code i'd imagine, BF3 on ultra with zero issues.

Upgraded from AMD Phenom II x3 720 to FX-8350 and did a couple of quick benchmarks in BF3 multiplayer and the BF4 beta. Nice to finally see my graphics card given a workout now it's no longer CPU limited.

Got a cooler arriving soon so will do it again to see if overclocking provides any benefit despite now being graphics limited. If I've left anything important off the chart feel free to request it for next time.

Did it on Low and Ultra, keeping to the default settings. Used HWiNFO64, with Fraps feeding it the fps.

View attachment 133784

p.s. Thanks for the help Earthdog!

Very interesting, thanks!

Still in beta mostly we're just on an old client to help them test and balance server loads all will be corrected in time with better drivers and clients.

whichever runs best ;) for now I haven't found any favorites just because not every low ping server runs well but I stick to Texas, LA and Seattle servers generally. After launch I'll be on my clan server.

whichever runs best ;) for now I haven't found any favorites just because not every low ping server runs well but I stick to Texas, LA and Seattle servers generally. After launch I'll be on my clan server.
Those seem to be the same for me with Chicago being the worst.

Last night I will say the game ran way better so not sure what they changed it seemed to help. I also increased the pre rendered frames as it was suggested to 3 and it ran silky smooth all night long.

I thought performance and graphics seem better last night, but I didn't play much.
What are everyone's thoughts on the new game type? I thought obliteration was pretty good. It is going to highlight teamwork, I think.
Has anyone used the squad voice? I heard some heavy breathing now and then, but that is it. It would be fun to get a squad together and coordinate a few rounds.

The new game mode is pretty good. But at least on this map lacks a lot of strategy because they smashed the 3 objectives super close together and the enemy can see who has the bomb when they pick it up which I kind of get but I wish it was like you had to be line of site with them to see they had the bomb and use spotting to tell your team.

But I'm very picky few games ever compare to Conquest IMO with that being said it can still be fun I just think there are some improvements that could be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back