• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

Does anyone have a good way to hit just one core to show the max speed in CPUz? The speedstep keeps dropping it down, and turning it off in the BIOS did nothing. I'm trying to get my Core i7 820QM to hit over 3ghz on the one core but can't seem to get it. It is a Dell, so there isn't much to play with in the BIOS. I've tried Prime95, and Intel Burn Test. They don't stay at a constant level, and don't seem to be pushing just 1 thread all the way...

You didnt disable all of them if its still droppin down. C1E, Speedstep, and power saving states should all be disabled. I have an i7 860 and it doesnt stray from 4.2Ghz...

I think it's a Studio 1747 but Ill have to check when I get home. I'm at the Dr's office with a sick kid.

If nothing else, you can run Super Pi or something else while you take the validation to keep the multi up. That's what I do when benching laptops for hardware points :D

Thanks guys....That did it...Got second place....Not sure if I'll be able to take first with this Dell the way it is. But second isn't bad..hit 3.059ghz

Second is good stuff, >1 point.

That's my basic air goal, one full point or better.

You can also try setting the power settings in windows. My motherboard requires speed step to be on to enable turbo for the 21 multi and I set the windows power setting to performance and it overrides speed step and keeps the multi at 21.

Back