• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MS OS? Worth a poll?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Best Microsoft Desktop OS

• Windows 3.1

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Windows 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98 SE

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Windows Vista SP1+

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 68 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmdixon85

Ok, so I've never seen a poll for the best MS operating system yet. Not sure sure if I should PM a mod about this or not but here would be the list:

Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista (<- Preferably SP1)
Windows 7

I'm stuck between 4 choices myself:

Win95: Was amazing when it came out (Microsofts biggest success yet?)

Win2000: I used this OS for a long time, so reliable!

WinXP: Was Win2000 with a facelift for me. Can still be used today unless you want DX 10 or over. (Legitimately)

Win7: I would be so tempted to vote for Win7, but maybe just to late MS?

Your opinions on your choice and if this is worth a poll please.

If a mod thinks this is a useless post or it's been done before then please delete.

Thanks I.M.O.G. I just had to vote for Win2000 in the end. Moving to 2000 from Win9x was like moving from a push bike to a Shelby GT500, lol. Memory management was a big plus and system crashes were reduced very much. :) More stable than Vista if you ask me.

Last edited:
Vista SP1+ for me.

Reasons : It worked and looked better than XP imo.

I didn't choose 7 because I have not used it greatly and when I did, I hated the new taskbar. I'm sure i'd get used to it, but why pay £100+ for something I can get for free ? :D

I also did not like the new taskbar in Win7 when I tested the Beta's. Soon got used to it tho. Vista SP1 was a great OS, just wish it was first released like that! And Win7 came too late for my vote, just to little to late over Vista.

I would love to hear from the person who voted for WinME :)

My vote goes to Windows 7. Windows 2000 and Windows 95 were both groundbreaking and two of my favorites, but they both ventured into new areas that weren't well established in the consumer field. I remember waiting a year after Win2000 was released before printer drivers were available for my Lexmark printer, almost two years before drivers and application software was available for my Avermedia tuner card. I haven't ran into any of those kinds of incompatibilities or lack of drivers with Windows 7. From the RC through retail it has been rock solid on every computer I've installed it on, I love Windows 7. It's the best version yet.

My vote goes to Windows2000. I have a copy of windows 2000 professional edition that I ran up until I built my AMD system in october-08. I would still use it now if it would support more than 2 processor cores. I never had a problem with it whatsoever. My AMD system was unstable as hell with Vista SP1 so I always blamed my stability issues on it because I tried 2000 on the same system and it ran perfectly. However I dont blame Vista anymore because ive got it installed on my current Intel system and its rock solid except for failed OC attemptswhich means I had CPU or MOBO issues with the AMD because it would BSOD at default settings. So my second vote would be Vista, and never had a chance to play with 7, ill most likely use this until 8-9-10 whatever is next comes out as it suits me just fine now.

My vote goes to Windows 7. Windows 2000 and Windows 95 were both groundbreaking and two of my favorites, but they both ventured into new areas that weren't well established in the consumer field. I remember waiting a year after Win2000 was released before printer drivers were available for my Lexmark printer, almost two years before drivers and application software was available for my Avermedia tuner card. I haven't ran into any of those kinds of incompatibilities or lack of drivers with Windows 7. From the RC through retail it has been rock solid on every computer I've installed it on, I love Windows 7. It's the best version yet.

Win7 reaps all the benefits of what Vista paid the price for. :)

It's good, but although it's marketed as something very separate, it's primarily a marketing difference.

That doesn't change the fact that its good tho - it's just good not to forget that the reason it works so well out of the gate is because Microsoft got prepared for Win7 thru the pain Vista endured.

I voted Vista to be a contrarian :^P

I do like it better, but I'd consider 7 and Vista to be the same. I think MS has done a great job with their O/Ss, and has shown improvement with every release. Even ME was a decent O/S, but they screwed up by making it DOS based. It was fine for what it was, but they should have used a modified 2kpro instead.

^ You just reminded me of when XP came out. Heard a lot of people saying it was a cross between 2000 & ME, at the time, lol :)

Voted Windows 7. Liked 200 and XP. Liked Vista as well. Just think Windows 7 really took what was found to be wrong in those others and they improved upon it. Some people may not like it visually over others or have problems of their own. For me though, Windows 7 has worked flawlessly and is much faster than the others imo.

I thought the best OS Microsoft ever did was DOS.
It was small and light, did what you expected and was worth the money and the licence terms did not suck

Its also worth clarifying what best means when doing such a poll.. For example Windows7 is not the best microsoft OS for a server, for playing games possibly

This is without pointing out that Windows 3x and 9x are not actually fully fleged operating systems they are gui's enviroments which run on top of the DOS operating system and are dependent upon it.

Last edited:
Well, the point of this poll confuses me. I liked windows 95, but I don't use it today... so since XP is the most practical option for me today, I voted for that. No NT options? I was fond of plain old dos, windows 3.1 was nice because you could switch between it and dos, NT was nice and NT 4.0 was a nice makeover. Windows 2000 is like NT 4.0, but a sleeker newer cut. XP is like 2000 with a new look and newer components. Windows vista and 7 are a little too different for me right now, but I have to say 7 has impressed me.

Always worth a poll.
Kinda sad to say it, but I just installed Win7 after being windows free for almost 2 years.
(for 2 reasons; Netflix and the Mechwarrior Living Legends Crysis mod)

I will have to say vista sp1, I have 7 to test here at work, but i havent installed it yet.

Back