• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bluescreen when I chang multipier???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DKC

Hey all, I'm running an XP 1700 with an Asus A7N266-E

I unlocked the processor, but whenever I change the muiltiplier to a higher setting, the comp just boots up to a blue screen saying memory dumping. Anyone know why???

Seems you have reached the CPU's limit. What VCORE are you running? Cooling? We need info! What multi are you trying to set it to?

Well, the VCORE is at 1.8 athough i heard 1.75 is better
i dont' know. I have a stock heatsink, and my proc is like 31 celcius idle at normal multi and fSB. I'm trying to go to any multi above 11 but she just won't go

DKC said:
Well, the VCORE is at 1.8 athough i heard 1.75 is better
i dont' know. I have a stock heatsink, and my proc is like 31 celcius idle at normal multi and fSB. I'm trying to go to any multi above 11 but she just won't go

You're temps look good, and thats a must when you OC. You're problem might be that you're Vcore isn't set high enough. Try increasing it, but be careful and WATCH THOSE TEMPS!
Another thing... OC'ing by increasing the FSB will increase you're performance over OC'ing by upping the multiplier. If I were you I'd try to lower my multiplier and see how high you can get the FSB! :)

so wuld a high vcore make it more stable, cuz an AMD technician told me to use 1.75

Yes a higher VCORE will make your oc more stable but at a price, HEAT. Get yourself a GOOD HSF is you are going to push your CPU. Stock will not due. With a good HSF you can run 1.85-1.95 all day long.

I'm sorry to be the one to do this, but if you have a stock HSF on an XP1700+ at 1.8V, your temp is not 31C. that may be your case temp, but not your cpu. whatever program youre using is either not configured right, or youre reading the wrong temperature.

So say your case temp was 31C, and you were using a stock cooler. With a proposed C/W of .5 and about 60 watts.....

60 * .5 = 30..... 30 + 31 = 61C

Granted it might not be quite 61C, its definitely not 31C. Bottom line, you need some more cooling on that little furnace before you stress it too much.

Strange, I've had people tell me that's normal and people tell me it's not. I dont' know much about temps, maybe my sensor is off.
I also have case fans, but i don't know how much they do,

31 is the best i've ever reached, normally i think iit's around 33, when i stress it, it gets to 38, 39

I dont' get it though cuz i can put my hand on the hsf block by the proc and there really isn't much heat. Sooo i dunno i guess i'll check my temp sensor, and if she's on the die, i guess i'll need a new mobo!

it may be but that doesn't explain my temps. I mean, I can choose any multiplier, and it shows that muiltiplier being used on startup, with the higher speed, then as soon as i tired to load windows it crashes :(

Who think I should get a new mobo that doesn't suck and undo my unlocking?

DKC said:
it may be but that doesn't explain my temps. I mean, I can choose any multiplier, and it shows that muiltiplier being used on startup, with the higher speed, then as soon as i tired to load windows it crashes :(

Who think I should get a new mobo that doesn't suck and undo my unlocking?

Before you try a different mobo and undoing your unlock why don't you get a better HSF combo like the Thermalright AX7 or a swiftech MC462A and some Arctic Silver and give that a try if your going to be overclocking your going to have to have a better heat sink anyway regardless of which mobo you choose and if the heatsink does the trick you may find you want to stick with your current mobo and you'll be money ahead IMHO.
Randy

but i'm saying maybe I should get a new motherboard, because the thermal sensor on it is probably broke

It's not that it's broke, only that those thermistors are not at all accurate. To get a better reading, you would need a sensor, such as a digi doc or compunurse, touching the core of the cpu. the fact that the HSF is not hot could either mean that the fan is so powerful it cools it off really fast:rolleyes: or that it isnt doing its job and not taking the heat off of the processor properly. With a stock AMD cooler, I would lean towards the latter.

If you can lower your multiplier to all the whole numbers and the halves(ie 10.5, 11.5, etc.. ) but cannot raise it, than your unlock was successful, but the chip is just too hot to overclock.

The Asus A7N266-E is by no means a bad board. On my A7M266, my thermal sensor does not read correctly but it is a good board. Many Asus boards have thermal sensors that do not read correctly, it is a common problem (at least in what I've heard). Also, what program are you using to see those temps? Some programs are more accurate than others. I think your mobo is probably fine though. Are you using thermal grease (well, a decent one like Arctic Silver, not that stuff that comes with the AMD HSF)? If not, that could explain why your temperature is so low, the contact between the CPU and HSF is not good.

Ok let's see, umm all my multipliers work so the unlock was fine.

I use Radio Shack Thermal Paste and I put a good layer on, the heatsink fits well, I see no problems with that.

I use MBM5 to monitor as well as Asus Probe but with Probe, the temp stay 40 ALL THE time even If i do 100% load for 5 mins. So it obviously doesnt work. Can anyone recommend a good program ?

would the BIOS be perfectly accurate?

any program you get is just going to read the same thermistor located under the cpu in the socket. The problem is with this thermistor, not the program that reads it. It just isnt accurate.

You need some kind of temperature probe to attach directly to your cpu core like this if you want an accurate reading. You could use just a compunurse, and Enermax display that has 2 compunurses (this is what I use), or maybe even a digidoc if you have $50 laying around.

Get some artic silver and get rid of that radio shack stuff. Artic Silver is a much better compound. The silver it contains transfers heat better and should drop you a few degrees c. Here's a link to there site: http://articsilver.com/as3.htm if you're unfamiliar with them. I used to use GE and radio shack heatsink compound before AS and would never go back! When you apply your thermal compound make sure you don't put it on to thick. If it is on heavy it will inhibit heat transfer, a very thin layer is all you need, this could also be some of the reason that the hs seams cool too.Get a good hsf and ditch the stock one. Take a look at the hs charts on the front page. I don't think there is any reason to get rid of the current mobo.
I would say that the 40c reading is closer to what your actual temp is w/stock hsf although this still seems low.
What is your room temp and case temp?
No the bios will be no more accurate if the thermistor is the problem which as stated earlier is a known problem on the asus boards.

Just to throw my two cents in. I'm running a Celeron 633@950 that wouldn't even post OC'd until I slapped a good HS (Alpha Pep66) with Artic Silver II. Now I can run it OC'd stable at the default voltage.

It's also probably your cheapest step to help things out as well.

Back