• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOOT takes FOREVER........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pseudus

Registered
Hi, I have a KT7A-RAID, with a TB-800, my machine takes like 6 to 8 minutes to boot into WIN2K. Is there anything I can do to speed this up. I read in "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 Motherboard FAQ" about some settings to try, but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

what part of it is taking so long? mine gets through all the BIOS stuf in ~20-25 seconds and then the config.sys, autoexec.bat, windows stuff probably takes ~40-50 seconds (I've never really timed it). However I am running Win98, so if its BIOS stuff I may be able to help you, if its Win2k, I have no idea.

Mine used to take forever too. Not as long as yours, but about 4 minutes to get into 98. I was going nuts, I would start it and then go do something else and when I came back it still wasn't up. I tried to fix this by formatting the hard drive and then reinstalling everything, one at a time and seeing which one really added to it. I found that adding drivers added quite a good amount of time and so do all those programs that run in the background. Try getting regcleaner and going through you reg file and cleaning it out. I had a ton of stuff in mine and after cleaning it out it ran fine and fast. Also if you can get rid of those extra wallpaper programs, screensavers, etc. They just slow the whole process down. Of course there are programs like MBM that you don't want to get rid but these also add a significant amount of time ot start up. It is really up to you to find the level that you are comfortable with

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

yog

8 or 9 minutes>?
YOW

sounds to me there is something flacky going on
whats your I/o voltage?>
if its set @ 3.3 or 3.4 try 3.6volts

if its above 3.6 volts then back it down
i had delayed boots when mine was too high or too low
and when had too much it slowed again

so try that

i will be posting a KT7A-RAID FAQ myself soon and maybe that will help tooo

Do you have a NIC installed? Network cards and the software spend a shitload of time searching for installed network components.

stool (Feb 15, 2001 10:55 p.m.):
Do you have a NIC installed? Network cards and the software spend a shitload of time searching for installed network components.

Yep, mine takes about 4 min. to boot cuz of that damn network card! I have tried to take it out, and then it boots on 1 min. But I really need my Network card, so that's just to bad for me :-(

Back