• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can u used acetone to clean electronix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gray_mouse

Registered
I'm in Russia, and I can't buy alcohol in a drug store like you can in USA. I can only buy vodka in a grocery store. :facepalm:

Question 1: Can acetone be used to clean contacts for memory, video card, etc?

Question 2: Can vodka be used for that?

I don't know how pure Vodka would be. You could evaporate the water content out until it was mosltly alcohol but I wouldn't.

You may be able to buy "Thermal Paste Cleaner"

Ask her what she uses. I'm pretty sure she's in Russia and does a lot of Heatsink reviews. So, she cleans it off with something.

I don't believe that it would be recommended to use either because both leave behind a film that you don't want to have on your stuffs. However I am sure that someone more experienced then me will let you know for sure

Acetone dissolves some kinds of plastics. I would worry that it wold damage PCB but you might try a small amount in an area of the circuit board that's not critical and see if what it does. What exactly do you need to clean? Perhaps we could recommend something else that you might have on hand.

Last edited:
Both should work.
Unflavored vodka with a nice high alcohol percentage (here in the US we're limited to 40%, more is better for cleaning) would probably be a better choice, as acetone does attack some circuit board materials.

Comp at my client's was sitting in high moisture area, basically everything has to be removed and cleaned from oxidation. It wasn't turning on, only turned on after I removed and reinserted BIOS chip. ASUS P5QL PRO board. So what I want to do is clean all critical contacts with alcohol, BIOS chip, memory, video.

It's gonna oxidate again if it sits there, but I need it to work at least 90 days so they happy.

I was going to use alcohol, but duh, drug stores don't sell alcohol anymore. Best I can get is acetone and vodka. What else I could use?

Both should work.
Unflavored vodka with a nice high alcohol percentage (here in the US we're limited to 40%, more is better for cleaning) would probably be a better choice, as acetone does attack some circuit board materials.
Everclear!

When I had access to only low % alcohol, it wasn't evaporating fast enough so I put a strong light on my desk and problem solved.
Acetone is great to remove TIM. It will be better than low percentage alcohol.

Back