• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the right Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackle00

Registered
Thats the list atm but questions on Mobo.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8LNC

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($134.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $738.69
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Thats the parts im planing on getting still debating on the HD Radeon 7850 but as for the motherboard I was wondering about what would best suit my build? Atm ive checked out:

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard <- first choice when i looked around

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 <- worth the upgrade?

MSI Z77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS <- this was suggested to me

I was wonder like the pros/cons of each mobo maybe and how one is better than the other or how the BIOS screen help etc. Anything and everything will help :).

Give me some suggestions I plan to game frequently and OC the CPU as well but maybe an option for SLI or Xfire but thats in future. Thanks again

Honestly, with this generation of CPU's, the motherboard selection isnt tremendously important as overclocking is handled by the muliplier of the CPU, so there isnt a need for high bclk's (in fact they are extremely limited). That out of the way, I would settle on something in your price range, that has the features and warranty you want, and looks good in your build.

And board you listed above will be fine.

Honestly, with this generation of CPU's, the motherboard selection isnt tremendously important as overclocking is handled by the muliplier of the CPU, so there isnt a need for high bclk's (in fact they are extremely limited). That out of the way, I would settle on something in your price range, that has the features and warranty you want, and looks good in your build.

And board you listed above will be fine.

Thanks for the input and so I was thinking of going with either the ASRock or the MSi Z77. MSi one is actually cheaper than the Z68 so maybe ill go with that. How are their service and warranty if anyone might know? I know ive heard good things from MSi but hows the mobos etc.

MSI has some quality stuff, at least on past generations. We havent had a chance to review anything (yet) from their Z77 offerings.

You can see their warranty at the site. I believe MSI is either 3 or 5 years.

The two ASRock boards you linked are two of the most popular boards. Either one of those would be fine, the Z77 is essentially the updated version, which I would go for. Lots of combo deals with it too, so you can get the price even lower.

Thanks but hows the reliability of the boards Ive read some reviews and such seems like thers alot of faulty boards. Also, seems like it wont last long from the what the reviews were saying.

How about these two mobos? What would you guys say about them? I compared em and found some differences but Im a beginner at this building thing. Its my first rig and planning on using it for a good 3-4 years before I do another upgrade etc. So looking for good reliable parts that can also perform and also can be somewhat future proof which is why i was leaning towards a Z77 as oppose to a Z68. Im not a hardcore gamer and my rig is mainly for maybe D3, GuildWars 2, BF3 etc. So far thanks to your suggestions.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

Anything ASRock, Gigabyte, ASUS is fine. Since more people who have faulty boards complain and less people who have good boards complement, there always seems to be an inflated number of faulty boards.

This looks like a good board GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have a low cost Gigabyte board almost a year and it's doing fine 24/7 at 5.0GHz.

Back