• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM 212 Evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

root1

Installed my first CM 212 Evo and have a few questions for those more experienced installing these units:

1) Though my screws are tight, if I grab the heatsink, I can still gently twist the HS from side to side. Is this normal? I removed it and made sure the pin was seated in the base of the HS and I still had play after I had tightened all 4 screws.

2) Stock i5-3570K is running around 38-40 C idle, P95 Blend 65-68 C and hit 72 C once in a while. IBT (Std) 72-76 C.

My goal is to OC this to around 4.3 so could use some input...

Many thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:
Both seem pretty normal to me. I'd push the OC until you see P95 Blend in the high 80s.

I removed the HS, cleaned everything up and reapplied my AS5. It appears I may have had a bit too much paste. Stock I am now 28-30c idle. I OC'd to 4.3 and I am still 30-34c idle, 40-42c with Outlook and web open, P95 blend is averaging around 63-65c...and the Evo CPU fan hasn't kicked over 660 RPM.

Happy at this point. OC'd to 4.3 and I don't go over 65c. Again, even a little too much paste can do it!

So the "play" in the Evo HS is normal then?

Yep, I have recently used the EVO. It does that and easier than you think. It's more that the paste is a lubricant and no matter the pressure it allows back and forth.

Heck you could put a 1000 ton block on a perfectly flat surface with grease under it and theroretically you could twist it.

No worries.

It should have some play but not a lot

Cuz it should have the spot where the bracket and the pin on the hs base

But you should able to get 4.5 with it

Many thanks for everyone's help...I know AS5 takes a while to truly break in, but am happy to report that my idle temps on my 3570K just a day after have settled to 27-28c (I see 25-26c once in a while), P95 Blend hits 65c or so, and IBT on High runs 65-68c with the occasional 72c seen. And my DIstance to TJ Max is about 72 miles (72c)(LMFAO!)

I do have a second fan coming from CM and a Y-cable for a push-pull on my Evo..

SO I'll close real temp now and stop obsessing (but it's hard).

heck all my 212's had the wiggle on them. I've used all 3 of them. No issues though. Like others have said if the temps are good then its ok lol.

And your idle temps are not indicative of anything. It's your load temps that mean something.

Thanks for everyone's input. Here was my final build:

Intel DZ77BH-55K
Intel i5-3570k
Corsair 850W PSU
Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 32GB (4x8GB)
CM 212 Evo w/ 2 120mm push/pull
CM 120mm case fans x 4
GeForce GT 610 2GB GPU (A little low-end I know, but works)
Intel 520 SSD (OS)
WD 500GB x 2 (RAID 1) data

Overclocked to 4.3 at stock voltage, temps range from 26-65c occasionally hit 70C under max IBT load. My very first build (drove my wife nuts) but it works for me. Love it, love it, love it.

Last edited:
Back