• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer suddenly shutting down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok dream try 2 things. first does ur system complete 3dmark 2k1 se tests? if not then its a vid card issue. next is loop the 3dmark tests 5 - 10 times. if it crashes its ur vid card. if it passes that then its time to run the sisoft sandra 2k2 burn in test. let it run 25 times. if it dosent crash go to 50. if it survives all that then i dont know. keep an eye on the temps during the sandra test.

Well I have ran 3dmark through without a problem I will try it several times. Where can I d/l this Sandra program? and what is it?

Sandra

Download Sandra Here
http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/
I got mine from downloads.com but I cant seem to find the standard version there anymore :(

Anyway, it just gives you hardware information, from irq, memory, windows, processor, video, network, yadda yadda yadda, and it shows how it compares to other systems, from like 75mhz pentiums to p4 and athlon 1800+ maybe higher.

It also has a burnin program.

Whatever it is for, it says my Athlon 1800+ @ 1670 has like max bars on the cpu multimedia benchmark and barely behind the p4 in one of the cpu arithmetric whatever benchmarks. What do they mean? I have no earthly clue as of right now, but just to see my system runnign faster then a p4 unless its malfunctioning makes me happy :0 :0 :0 :0

I would attach screenshots if I knew how to capture one or had one of the neat free little screen capturing programs.

If anyone knows screen capturing programs lemme know please, Id like to post the benchmarks picture so someone can tell me what they mean :(

BTW, good aftermarket fans....im a die hard volcano 7 activist, there are also alphas, swiftechs...high quality kinda more expensive NOISY hsf's the volcano 7 isnt bad though

I forgot to ask, is your system overclocked? Maybe the video card is overheating?

The video card is brand new unclocked.
My system I had OC a little bit and started having some minor problems and just put it back to normal. Thats how I fried my last video card so I dont want a repeat to happen with my cpu.

Oh yeh what temp does your cpu usually run at? Mine usually runs at a constant 64 C right at startup. I read a test at Tomshardware guide running a Glaciator II on an xp 1600+ and it was 32 C :eek: Might get one of those...

Wow

Wow, thanks for the good read. I wasn't aware alot of people had problems like that.

My computer usually runs around 39C at full load...it was at 36C yesterday but it appears to be steady at 39 right now. It is overclocked though, rom 1533 to 1670

Heat

I THINK when I first bought my 1800+ and I was using the stock heatsink, I may have capped at like 46C...that might be an overstatement but I can't remember. Yours is running just way too hot, you could try another hsf though. The volcano 7 is available online at thermaltake.com i think for like 18 bucks or so, plus 6 shipping and handling?

Good luck, lemme know how it turn out.

Back