• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering The Following Components in my Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mobos & fans in the dishwasher - *raises hand

Video cards in the oven- *raises hand

Liquid nitrogen and Dry Ice- *raises hand

Threw my whole PC into the deep freeze after long night at the bar- *raises hand

Hung a radiator out of a window in the dead of winter (Edit: Multiple times)- *raises hand

Placed same said radiator in a cooler with dry ice- *raises hand

Placed a Pringles can filled with ice onto a CPU just to see if it would work- *raises hand (alcohol may have been a factor again)

Last edited:
Build looks great! Only thing I'd comment is save some $ and go with the 1TB (or maybe even a 500GB) nvme then add a huge (2-4TB) sata drive to hold all your work files, etc.
I went that route myself 5 years ago. I had a 500GB NVME SSD and a 2TB SATA HDD. I ran out of space on the SSD and replaced the SSD with a 2TB NVME SSD. I don't regret doing that at all. BTW, I even eventually replaced the 2TB SATA HDD with a 2TB NVME SSD.

It all depends upon how much you intend to install. For me 500GB proved to be not enough. Since 1TB would not guarantee I would not run out of space again I opted to instead go with 2TB. Note it is not good to let a SSD get close to full so it is better to have a lot of free space.

I went that route myself 5 years ago. I had a 500GB NVME SSD and a 2TB SATA HDD. I ran out of space on the SSD and replaced the SSD with a 2TB NVME SSD. I don't regret doing that at all. BTW, I even eventually replaced the 2TB SATA HDD with a 2TB NVME SSD.

It all depends upon how much you intend to install. For me 500GB proved to be not enough. Since 1TB would not guarantee I would not run out of space again I opted to instead go with 2TB. Note it is not good to let a SSD get close to full so it is better to have a lot of free space.
Agree....I got a 2tb NVMe for the OS/Apps....

The rest of my data is on NAS HDDs running raid 1 and I have several other HDDs that I want to continue using until the "tires fall off"....They don't have the speed but they are paid for and not used very often....

I'm sure I will order more M.2s but bank account needs time to recover now.....NOT to mention HomeOwners Insurance, Wind and Hail insurance and auto are all due in the next several weeks :oops:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.....If my RAM ever gets here I'll be back with questions for sure! For some reason the RAM has been sitting in a town 5 hours away for over 2 days......Was supposed to be delivered yesterday. For some reason I always have shipping issues when I order from NewEgg....

Ok.....MB together with CPU/Fan, NVMe and finally got RAM!

Just finished cutting the grass (feeding tomatoes etc) and kind of tired now and I wanted to just power it up to see a display. Think I will wait and get a fresh start in the morning but here is the most stupidest question (drainbamage):)

Here is the question of the day.....Where the H are the motherboard screws? It's been so long I can't remember if they come with the MB or the Case but I cannot find them. I thought they would come with the case but there is nothing but the case..... I actually have 4 boxes of computer screws but where are the ones that came with this stuff? With the MB or the Case?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok.....MB together with CPU/Fan, NVMe and finally got RAM!

Just finished cutting the grass (feeding tomatoes etc) and kind of tired now and I wanted to just power it up to see a display. Think I will wait and get a fresh start in the morning but here is the most stupidest question (drainbamage):)

Here is the question of the day.....Where the H are the motherboard screws? It's been so long I can't remember if they come with the MB or the Case but I cannot find them. I thought they would come with the case but there is nothing but the case..... I actually have 4 boxes of computer screws but where are the ones that came with this stuff? With the MB or the Case?

Thanks!
As I thought after looking at the manual.....looks like I'm missing a bag of screws.....(not the first time)

OHHHGEEEZZZ....Took off back panel and the box was in a removable HDD enclosure :rolleyes: .

I don't see anything about that in the manual......
That sounds about right. They put them there because they need some place secure so they won't bounce around the case during shipping. They figure they don't have to tell you that because it is common practice.

At least you got the case in one piece. I wanted a particular case but couldn't find it available from the usual etailers. I ended up buying in on Ebay. The price was very good considering it was used. It was supposed to be in very good condition. All the screws, etc. were in a box in one of the hard drive bays. That was good. Unfortunately, the case was damaged. I thought about returning it but decided not to. The computer it was used with was old and the case was usable after using a hammmer. I understand why the case was damaged. The case comes in a cardboard box with thin foam padding. This box should have been placed inside another box for shipping.

Exactly about the packing....my case came in a big box with the tape all wripped open box was smashed and I was :mad: and did not even think the case would have survived especially the glass side.

I had been waiting for the USPS girl all day then I finally took a shower.....she showed up right after I dried off.....told the wife I was going to help her (wile naked)......she told me what's what and I missed her.....:LOL:

She carried the case with the PS box on top!!! Cute girl too!!!

Anyway the Phanteks case was in it's own box and undamaged!!!

Last shipment from Amazoo was a package of dog treats that are fragile and they were shipped in the bag they came in inside another bag.....there's no thinking sometimes. It's always a toss up from Amazoo!

Got dinner and got some rest.....here it is 4 AM.....ready to wire her up and fire her up!:cool:

I'm seeing some say that they had to disable "fast boot".......My 10 year old I7 computer is fine.....what is the thinking these days?

Thanks!

Phanteks Eclipse P400A (PH-EC400ATG_DBK01)

Does this case have a speaker? I cannot seem to find the cable:unsure:
Post magically merged:

This option is a personal one. Your call.
If using fast boot is that problematic?

If you don't mind.....why would you NOT run "fast boot"?

It's been a decade and change since I've seen a case with a speaker on it (there are probably some out there, but, today, I wouldn't sweat it at all)... If you're looking for a simple beep/post code speaker, those can be had for dirt cheap.

...that said, does your motherboard have the 2-character debug LED or the 4-LED EZ-debug (see your manual)? If so, you absolutely don't need it. That said, I don't think you need one in the first place unless you're troubleshooting.

If using fast boot is that problematic?

If you don't mind.....why would you NOT run "fast boot"?
Not really. My only issue with it being enabled is that can make it tough to access the BIOS as the window for doing so is nearly eliminated. I leave it off... the difference in boot times when using an NVMe drive with it enabled and disabled is a couple of seconds anyway.

EDIT: Crash... do us all a favor, please create a signature with all of your new hardware in it. This way, we see it for each post and don't have to search through this long thread. :)

Last edited:
It's been a decade and change since I've seen a case with a speaker on it (there are probably some out there, but, today, I wouldn't sweat it at all)... If you're looking for a simple beep/post code speaker, those can be had for dirt cheap.

...that said, does your motherboard have the 2-character debug LED or the 4-LED EZ-debug (see your manual)? If so, you absolutely don't need it. That said, I don't think you need one in the first place unless you're troubleshooting.

Not really. My only issue with it being enabled is that can make it tough to access the BIOS as the window for doing so is nearly eliminated. I leave it off... the difference in boot times when using an NVMe drive with it enabled and disabled is a couple of seconds anyway.

EDIT: Crash... do us all a favor, please create a signature with all of your new hardware in it. This way, we see it for each post and don't have to search through this long thread. :)
Signature done!

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi LGA1700 I don't see anything about debug (still looking) and yes I'm used to the speaker just for diagnosis.....

Seems odd not to have one....hopefully I will find it like the fan connectors that were not labeled....was pretty sure what they were but followed the fan and that was what the unlabeled connectors were.....

Want to fire it up but want to double check for the speaker....

Old habbits

Cases have not had speakers since the late 90's, maybe very early 2000's. As Earthdog stated, they simply aren't needed these days.

Once I get my system stable and running the way I like it I enable fast boot. If I run into issues with stability later I just reset the CMOS. This doesn't remove any saved BIOS profiles and it's easy to re-load them later if need be. Keep in mind fast boot doesn't make the first boot faster, just the consecutive boots after the first. Your rig must remain plugged in or it "loses" the fast boot "setting". But yeah, the difference between a std boot and fast boot is only a few seconds with fast NVMe drives. With SSDs and HDD's it's considerably more useful.

EDIT: Thank you for posting your signature. That helps immensely. Your motherboard does not have a Debug LED. If you want to install a speaker (they're like ~$2) you will connect it at the front port connectors located at the bottom right of your motherboard. I believe it's the top right pins in that cluster. Your manual will be pretty helpful, but I believe it is printed on the board too.

Last edited:
Want to fire it up but want to double check for the speaker....

Old habbits
You have a lot of those (old habits) you need to get rid of, LOL. Fire that thing up!!!

I don't see the 4 LED debug or 2-character debug LED either (inexpensive board...). That said, I wouldn't worry about the speaker quite yet. At least it sure as hell wouldn't prevent me from powering my system on, lol.

Your rig must remain plugged in or it "loses" the fast boot "setting".
No ****? I had no idea... need to try that out, lol! Sure beats the way I was getting into he BIOS when it was enabled, lol.

Last edited:
Cases have not had speakers since the late 90's, maybe very early 2000's. As Earthdog stated, they simply aren't needed these days.

Once I get my system stable and running the way I like it I enable fast boot. If I run into issues with stability later I just reset the CMOS. This doesn't remove any saved BIOS profiles and it's easy to re-load them later if need be. Keep in mind fast boot doesn't make the first boot faster, just the consecutive boots after the first. Your rig must remain plugged in or it "loses" the fast boot "setting". But yeah, the difference between a std boot and fast boot is only a few seconds with fast NVMe drives. With SSDs and HDD's it's considerably more useful.

EDIT: Thank you for posting your signature. That helps immensely. Your motherboard does not have a Debug LED. If you want to install a speaker (they're like ~$2) you will connect it at the front port connectors located at the bottom right of your motherboard. I believe it's the top right pins in that cluster. Your manual will be pretty helpful, but I believe it is printed on the board too.
My last computer built in 2012 has a speaker.....gonna miss that beep when I turn it on....I remember when they used to be on the MB....my old MB in that case (Gigabyte MB GA-Z77X-UD5H) even has the diag leds....

Yup....there is a speaker connection...and I'm used to them that's why I have spent 20 minuets looking for it o_O

I got several speakers somewhere.....if I have to I'll steal one from an old box now that I've built a new one and this one will be my standby....

Thanks for the reply to all!

You have a lot of those (old habits) you need to get rid of, LOL. Fire that thing up!!!

I don't see the 4 LED debug or 2-character debug LED either (inexpensive board...). That said, I wouldn't worry about the speaker quite yet. At least it sure as hell wouldn't prevent me from powering my system on, lol.

No ****? I had no idea... need to try that out, lol! Sure beats the way I was getting into he BIOS when it was enabled, lol.

Guess I'm going to have to find a speaker....boots up, heatsink fan and front fans work and heatsink below RAM (north or south bridge if there is such a thing) is warm

Back