• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

conspiracy theory against oxygen :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

well i was thinin.. water is h2o that means it contains oxygen right? so air has oxygen too and air is not a good heat transferer... so i was wondering.. if u could get like low oxygen water (i kno u cant get oxygen free cause ykno .. hydrogen will blow..) would it be better for water cooling/ like fishes in water use up oxygen right?
:)

its a conspiracy!!! join me!! ahhh :D

max

think about it this way the fishes use oxygen that is imediatley replaced by the air... ...im not so sure however if u could get water with a lower oxygen point anyway. due to the fact that the chemical makeup of water is 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. if u start splitting those atoms im not so sure ur gonna have ur water, computer, house yah know the works. think about an atom bomb...

i see what your thinking about, but one of the reasons why water is such a good conductor of heat isnt because it lacks the oxygen, its because the molecules are more dense(liquid form), liquids can "soak" more heat because there are more molecules. I think taking out the oxygen would only go so far, and that would be taking the ones thats not part of the h2o equation or you would have 2 hydrogens running around(this is also a gas that is flammable. So just removing all bubbles is the best you could do. If there was some way to cram more molecules into a space maybe you could get better temps, if thats at all possible. Remember the rule is solids have more molecules, liquids are more spaced out, and gases are really spaced out.

Hope this helps.

though an atom bomb would look cool in a pc lol:D
It sure is original

Water is a poor conductor of heat. Water is good at absorbing heat and carrying it away.
The bond between the hydrogen and oxygen of a water molecule can absorb a lot of energy. Plus, nearby water molecules bond to each other with what are called hydrogen bonds, and these can absorb a lot of energy, too. (think of these bonds like the springs in the shock absorbers on your car.) Few other substances have these hydrogen bonds, and yet these bonds can absorb a lot more energy than most other bonds. Hence, it is easier to carry a lot of heat away.
A bit of air in your water WILL hurt this effect a little, but it is quite difficult to get that air out and keep it out. Besides, the effect is miniscule.
From a practical point of view, doing so would be pointless.

That's another good point, Kevin... there are a lot more molecules in 1mL of water than there are in 1mL of air. More stuff to carry away heat = more heat removed. Oil cooling would work better than air cooling, but it couldn't match water.

What would be the best is if you could cool the water to 4c right before it hit the CPU... as 4ºC water is the densest that water gets. That would give some impressive results I believe. Another good thing about water is it's high specific heat... it takes a lot of energy to raise waters temp, which makes it very good for this sort of thing... But 4ºc would be best :)

what about either presurised oxygen - so its a liquid and/or presuriesed hydrogen?

u'd probably need a new high pressure system but would it work better then water?.. also it would be running at sub zero temps right?

Wahoogie said:
What would be the best is if you could cool the water to 4c right before it hit the CPU... as 4ºC water is the densest that water gets. That would give some impressive results I believe. Another good thing about water is it's high specific heat... it takes a lot of energy to raise waters temp, which makes it very good for this sort of thing... But 4ºc would be best :)
Yeah, that's true, but chilled ethanol or methanol would be better. The business end of the molecule acts like half a water molecule, and the nonbusiness end keeps it from freezing so easily. It shouldn't be difficult to use this to take your processor to -30C or lower.

Tokayla said:
what about either presurised oxygen - so its a liquid and/or presuriesed hydrogen?

u'd probably need a new high pressure system but would it work better then water?.. also it would be running at sub zero temps right?
Well.... Liquid oxygen would be cold, and would do the job, but would be extremely dangerous. It would carry away less heat per molecule than water, though, too.
People have chilled processors with liquid nitrogen. Once again, this is not practical for most people. Phase change cooling is similar to this, and somewhat practical. But it's expensive. Once again, though, it still carries less heat per molecule.

Back