• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Nepton 120XL -upgrade or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avaktis

I have built my own computer and the AMD FX-8350 overheats with the stock cooler. (OCCT confirmed this)

Unfortunately I only have a midi tower to house my nice setup including AMD R9 200 series graphics card.

I need to know whether the Cooler Master Nepton 120XL will sort my AMD custom out or not. I do not overclock anything, however, I do play HEAVILY modded games with some 4k texture packs, ENB series, ect.

The computer will turn off due to processor getting to hot and it got above the OCCT required heat in 4mins(stress test).

It will overcome that 120 AIO also.
Minimum of a 240 rad is required....and still forget about overclocking.

Can you recommend a case for it? Preferably a nice budget one, unfortunately my mod tower will only take a single. Is there a good single unit?

I went and purchased a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black and a NZXT KRAKEN X61 280mm AIO Water Cooling Unit.

Will this be a flawless setup now? Obviously might be looking at GPU cooling later on.

It won't be "flawless", but you'll be much happier.
If you intend to add cooling for a GPU later, you'll be looking at another 240 rad. ;)

Should have gotten an expandable unit if you want to add a GPU into the loop later.

It won't be "flawless", but you'll be much happier.
If you intend to add cooling for a GPU later, you'll be looking at another 240 rad. ;)

The case has room for the Kraken on the top and the GPU cooler will go in the front. The extractor fan will be at the back and I think there is room for another fan or two to either bring air into or out of the case, however, this brings me to my next question :confused:

The heat fans for the radiator are blowing into it and then out of the case. If this is true for both the CPU and the Graphics card then should I install the remaining fans to blow in (with installed air filters).

MY PSU - Corsair RM Series RM 850 '80+ Gold' 850W Power Supply. The fan will only turn on when the PSU is doing any REAL work and I have never seen nor heard it doing anything.

With respect to your comment ATMINSIDE. Unfortunately I lack the confidence to mess around with water systems around electrical equipment. I would rather just plug and play even if it costs more.

Front/sides = intake.
Top/rear = exhaust (or extractor fan as you call it. :)).

Thank you and sorry about the dup.

I like to overdo things sometimes and I have found something I do not like about the case I have purchased.

The case has a dust filter at the front and the top, however, there are two side vents at the front directly behind the filter that allows dust particles into the party anyway?

This will annoy me, please see:

The video should load at 2:37.

It should be okay to block the sides with some speaker mesh or something right, what do you think? ;)

Be advised tho that you will not be able to stop every dust particle entering the case. You will get some sort of dust that will sneak in. Regular maintenance like using compressed air will clean it out and keep dust to a minimum ;)

Be advised tho that you will not be able to stop every dust particle entering the case. You will get some sort of dust that will sneak in. Regular maintenance like using compressed air will clean it out and keep dust to a minimum ;)

This. Every PC enthusiast should own an air compressor.

Last edited:
Back