• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Computer Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueCarbon

I have been having trouble with my custom computer that I built a few years back and still use very often. Some of the problems include:

Blue Screen of Death (Early Problem that doesn't happen anymore)
Computer randomly restarting
Computer sometimes freezes up and slowly loads video games

Wiping my hard drive or reinstalling my OS is an option seeing as how I only have games on it and not a large amount of important files.

Here are the specs to my computer:

Mobo:
GPU: GeForce GTX 970, MSI Twin Frozr 4G Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Storage: 1 TB HDD

If you know of anything that could be causing these problems please share them, any input is appreciated! Thanks.

Hard to tell with the little information you gave....

What is the bsod error? What does event log show? When does it happen...under load? Idle? Compete system specs like mobo, power supply, and the exact hard drive. You gave us nothing. :)

Last edited:
Hard to tell with the little I formation you gave....

What is the bsod error? What does event log show? When does it happen...under load? Idle? Compete system specs like mobo, power supply, and the exact hard drive. You gave us nkthing. :)

This...

Check this program out, It will most likely tell why you get blue screens. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Had to use it when my old pc started to have blue screens, It was the gt220's that caused the blue screens, One of the capasitors (On the gt220) was ruined after i used this pc for like 4 years, After i took the GPU out the problem was solved.

Capture.PNG Here is a snip of the codes. If you need something more than that I can do it again.

Complete System Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
PSU: EVGA 600B
Storage: Seagate 1 TB Hard Drive
GPU: GeForce GTX 970, MSI Twin Frozr 4G Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60

So, when is the BSOD occurring? What are you doing? Can you reproduce it?

I read that it randomly restarts, is that once a week 3 times a day, do you have auto-updates and have it set to restart automatically when installed? That might be part of it. The slow loading games might just be a poorly fragmented drive, it might also be some unreadable sectors on the drive which might account for the BSODs. You say you've had the PC for a couple of years, but I'm guessing you recently (last year maybe) installed windows 10. Run the error checking feature windows has on your drive to look for bad sectors and then defrag your drive, see if that solves the slow game loading. The rebooting could be a million things: Power to you PSU, your PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, HDD and any software you have installed, so information is golden.

There are literally millions if not trillions of reasons a computer does something we don't expect it to do. A single corrupted file that isn't used by hardly anything might just cause a cascading affect on the rest of the system when it is used, it might have caused the first BSOD, and that caused some other files to get corrupted and so on. Same with the games, when the system crashed, if you were playing a game) it might of dumped information (if it had time) to any physical location on the HDD meaning each time you go to load the game it has to search the drive for that information (thus the reason for defragging a drive at least once a month.)

I'm not the best to answer these questions, but I try to take the simplest explanations out of the loop first.

Looks like the CPU is unstable at stock! I would try another PSU... And check the heatsink mount!

For the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" and "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSODs, reseat the RAM.

Back