• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom WC for under $100 (better than any kit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I checked out the stickies myself recently, and most are horribly outdated. Half the stores people linked to aren't even in existence any more. I think stickies should be reserved for basic knowledge for noobs to use as a reference guide.

If you have any concerns about the Via Aqua one suggestion is to submerge it inside a container/reservoir. This requires a couple simple bulkhead fittings to make it happen but there are no worries about leaks from the Via after this. You will want one hold in the top for the coolant to enter the rad, one sealed hole around the power cord, and one hole (probably in the side) for the pump outlet.

It takes a little space but is pretty easy to do for about $6.00 in fittings from McMasters. For a bulkhead fitting you simply get a threaded one end/barbed other end fitting and drill a hole to fit the threaded end into the container and use a washer or RTV sealant around it and use a lock washer to tighten it into place. Then on the inside of the container use a female threaded one end/barbed other end to connect the bulkhead fitting to the tubing leading to your pump. Of course use plumbers tape around the connections and some sort of sealant but it works fine. This has several benefits from what I have read as well as a down side. The upside is that it muffles vibration quite a bit, cuts out any worries about the pump leaking, keeps the pump cooler and quiets the pump. The downside is that it does add some heat to the coolant loop. If you use this I would suggest using the double '77 Bonneville heater core to shed the extra heat from the coolant. For a shroud for the '77 HC you can use 2 of the containers you used on the Chevette. It just takes a little modification and they fit well enough to work.

Look for some sort of Tupperware or a cheap variant for the reservoir to seat the pump in but make sure the lid seals well to avoid evaporation of the water in the coolant. I would also look for one with a fairly rigid top. Lastly I would also use something like zip ties or some other sort of fastener to keep that lid down tight on the reservoir.

The same sort of cheap bulkhead fittings can be used with or without a res to create a T line fill-n-bleed kit. This time however after drilling the top of the case (normally) and putting the threaded end of the fitting up through it then securing via a lock nut use a female threaded cap to seal the loop. To add fluid simply screw it off and top off the fluids and put it right back on. Its a very inexpensive version of the DangerDen Fillport.

McMaster.com also offers another tubing that works great- Masterkleer which is $0.57 per foot in 10' increments. Thats for the 3/4"OD-1/2"ID tubing

Last edited:
Man I'm too lazy to form my own kit! I'm just more tempted to buy one off from the retail stores.

I'm thinking of getting the BigWater 12cm Internal Liquid Cooling System.

Unless someone could build and ship one to me for $160 Canadian :) ?
It would have to be better in performance though?

Any takers?

Putting together your own kit is very very easy actually.

Pump
Tubing
Waterblock
Clamps
T-line (T connection and some sort of cap for the filling tube) OR a Reservoir
Radiator OR Heater Core
Shroud (very easy and cheap to make using re-enforced cardboard like a checkers board)
Fan

It can save ya quite a few bucks and you dont get stuck with some cheesy components that will adversely effect your WCing system.

OKay Okay.. I guess people need some incentive first.

I'll leave a deposit of $60... the rest will come when the project is completed?

What ya think?

Awww come on! So many of you are like harcdcore enthusiasts! Why not put that energy to good use and make some sort of a profit?????

We both benefit at the end. :)

I'm just not that well versed in watercooling too much, I'm afraid I'll fry the system through leakage or something if I build one on my own (versus the kits).

Anyways if there's no takers I guess I'll have to learn the ABC's + and then some.

But my offer is still open people! :bang head

You still have to put the damn thing together, whether you get a kit or not. As long as you're not an idiot, and you leak test for at least 24 hours, then you should be fine.

Back