• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please dont turn this thread into a phone/os childish iphone vs android thing. People like different phones for different reasons.

i was just pointing out to nechen all phones have problems some times,
not trying to start any phone hate wars lol.

i was just pointing out to nechen all phones have problems some times,
not trying to start any phone hate wars lol.

I don't believe his comment was directed at you nearly as much as Nechen. This isn't the first time he's posted things like that.

Let's just keep this all civil. Jazon explained his experience with his iphone. Nechen previously had a bad experience with android products. Both have been aired, and don't need further explanation.

Lol I'm not starting a phone war. Just curious that everyone says they want customization on their phones which I completely agree with and miss on my iPhone...at the same time though...

But you focus on isolated events. For all we know, the phone in the video night have suffered a filesystem error which is completely independent of the operating system.

You say android is so unstable, but I'm running an alpha port of CM9 on my phone and, myself as well as the forum community I use have zero stability or reboot or force close issues. If an alpha port is stable for a large group of people, it seems that the instability is not based upon the operating system and rather the hardware on which the system operates. Yes, some versions are more stable than others (froyo vs. gingerbread vs. icecream sandwich), but for the most part, issue are due to poor implementation on poor hardware.

I thought I'd drop this comparison.

iOS is Mac OS X, Android is Arch Linux (just to say a distro).

Both are nice OSes, Mac is pretty good "out of the box", but Arch Linux can be a tremendous OS, even better than Mac, with a little bit of effort, googling, following instructions, and curiosity.

I've had an iTouch. I thought it was awesome. Then I got my SGSL. Tinkering... Killing things in 0,01sec, and spending hours repairing it... I like that, excuse me guys. Plus, with Android you can use mass storage, you don't depend on iTunes.

That's an awesome comparison, I'll have to remember it :)

BTW that video I linked to is the latest and greatest failure from an apparent sys update pushed the incredible's last week. I gave my GFs mother my old Incredible and the only reason this isn't happening is because I have CM on it.

I think my point is, like Txus said, it's arch Linux. However, I'm relatively certain Arch Linux doesn't run all of it's programs inside a god forsaken Java VM. I've always stood behind Linux 100% and would never, ever, use OSX for anything.

Heck, I think I misstated my point. This was more of a "I'm sick of Android" than a "I <3 iOS/Apple!" The only reason I have an iPhone is because there's NO other option and, I hate to say it, once the CM group goes belly up (all opensource modding community's eventually do) we're all hosed...

run all of it's programs inside a god forsaken Java VM

I point you to Tomcat, Glassfish, WebSphere, Jetty, JBoss, etc.: enterprise application servers that run everything inside a Java VM.

I hate to say it, once the CM group goes belly up (all opensource modding community's eventually do) we're all hosed...

Red herring, straw man, etc. You keep tossing these statements around with no backup.

Cool so why did every app I ever had force close on me at one point or another? I'm not saying Android is the only O/S that runs everything inside a Java VM but from what I've learned on here over the years is that Java in of itself is incredibly slow compared to others.

If Red Herring and Strawman are some net handles I'm supposed to know then it appears I don't. However, most opensource/mod communities collapse when the donations stop rolling in and they have other more important personal matters to attend to (jobs, kids, house payments, drug habits...)

Cool so why did every app I ever had force close on me at one point or another? I'm not saying Android is the only O/S that runs everything inside a Java VM but from what I've learned on here over the years is that Java in of itself is incredibly slow compared to others.

Why? because you seem to have had a horrible relationship with Android based products in the past. One video on youtube, and some other horror stories don't change the fact that 60% of all smart phone users chose Android.

If Red Herring and Strawman are some net handles I'm supposed to know then it appears I don't. However, most opensource/mod communities collapse when the donations stop rolling in and they have other more important personal matters to attend to (jobs, kids, house payments, drug habits...)

Red herring. It's a clue that doesn't actually have anything to do with the mystery due to being completely off the topic of the issue.

Oops, got ninja'd by Thid.

That could be for a number of reasons. The most common is a bad application.

They are logical fallacies. Straw man. Red herring.

Alright fine then Mr. Book Learnin'
Ricky.PNG

As for Android having 60% of the market share, that number also consists of Tablets too. As I stated before, Android has no quality control whatsoever so every company from Thailand to China can crank them out en-masse. Don't believe me? Check out the following links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...013681+4027&IsNodeId=1&name=$75+-+$100&Page=2

BUT WHAT ABOUT DA TEGRA WITH DA ASUS AND STUFF?

Here you go, only 50 games most of which are ports from the bloody iPad and rehashes of Tower D:
http://www.tegrazone.com/games

I'm really disappointed in most everyone's responses on here. I've loved Linux since I was a wee child and I can't believe you're all sitting idly by and defending Android just because there's one good ROM (Cyanogen)

Look at what they've done! This had the potential to make a stand with Linux and now we're right back where we were before! No wonder We're stuck with atrocities like Windows8 and OSX :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
Most people I can figure out from a few of their posts, but I just can't figure you out. You start by insulting one of the moderators who clarified something you didn't know.

And by the way, "Android" doesn't make phones or tablets, or any mobile device. Android is a conglomerate owned primarily by Google which licenses open source software used by a majority of all hardware manufacturers in the world. Since Android simply supplies the source for these manufacturers, their quality control rivals the best in the world. Every single download of the Android source is exactly the same and fits quality standards.

One thing I'd like to say though, all you did was link to a large number of entry level tablets on Newegg... Do you have a point to make? You pointed out how many companies have Android products... which actually strengthens my argument.

Well I didn't insult a mod, it's called a "joke" for those of you who don't get laid enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

And I know Android doesn't make tablets, if you think I thought they did then you didn't read my original post.

I don't know what part of "Android owns 60% of the marketplace because it has no quality control" confuses you.

Google raped Linux and the second I make this point people believe it to be a fanboy post. I find it odd that most people with an IQ above the double digits range hate Apple because of their fanboys...but the second you say "Hey I bought an iPhone because I don't like the only other choice which is Android" I get flamed??

I can't believe anyone here defends Android as a "Good O/S"

Alright fine then Mr. Book Learnin'
I am not a native English speaker, so maybe I got it wrong, but are you implying that reading books to learn something, or that the fact of knowing something is bad by insulting thid? I think I'll just skip this part, and not reply to that.

As for Android having 60% of the market share, that number also consists of Tablets too. As I stated before, Android has no quality control whatsoever so every company from Thailand to China can crank them out en-masse. Don't believe me? Check out the following links:

So, what does the fact of Android being used for tablets has to do with Android having no quality control whatsoever on devices?

Linux has no quality control neither on any device that uses Linux. That any device goes from the Raspberry Pi that could be used as HTPC to the big computer cluster the LHC uses.

*bla, bla, low end tablets*

BUT WHAT ABOUT DA TEGRA WITH DA ASUS AND STUFF?

Here you go, only 50 games most of which are ports from the bloody iPad and rehashes of Tower D:
http://www.tegrazone.com/games

What's the matter with low end tablets? You know, not everyone can afford to drop half a grand for a "i" tablet. And, let's be honest. Not everyone will want all the features Tegra/A5 has. My father got a Galaxy Tab 7" a couple weeks ago, on sale, 160 EUR. He only wants it because he has sight problems, and it's a PITA for him to check his mail, check Facebook, or read a newspaper with his C7-00. Does he need a TEGRA or a Retina display for that? Nope. Is that extra money useful? Yes. I think I made my point.

Tegrazone only lists (I guess) games certified by nVidia.

What do you mean by iPad ports? Do you have proof that they're ports? Or are you just relying on the fact that maybe they got released for the iPad before they did for Android? And, anyway, does it matters if they're a port? Are you going to notice the difference, if properly done? Excuse me, but I can't picture no one saying "Aaaaaaggh... this game is an iPad port... I am not playing it!!". It isn't like console -> PC ports where we sometimes whine because they don't use all the nice technology they could.

I'm really disappointed in most everyone's responses on here. I've loved Linux since I was a wee child and I can't believe you're all sitting idly by and defending Android just because there's one good ROM (Cyanogen)

Why shuoldn't we defend Android and "sit idly"? I like Android, you're attacking Android because you had FC and what not. I defend Android. Mind you, I had a couple of problems with iTunes. Related with iTunes being buggier than usual, the iPod not wanting to charge from a perfectly functional 5V USB DIY charger, and a couple of bootloops when I tried to jailbreak it just to tinker with it. But, of course, it was also George's fault because his software was buggy or my fault because my USB charger did not meet Apple's standards. Or just because I was using iTunes on a PC instead of on a Mac.

There is also AOKP. At the end of the day, I come back to my comparison. It's like Apple's OSX (they dropped "Mac" from the name, didn't they?) and Arch Linux. They are both some kind of *NIX. With Apple, you have your .app packages and such. With Arch Linux, you have the AUR (and repositories, too).

If you go the Cupertino way, you have a nice, easy to use, easy to install, experience, but paying a plus. With Arch, you have a tinkering experience, with bleeding-edge software revisions (grab the latest source from git/svn/etc, make it, install it, enjoy!), and free. I've used both OSes (Leopard on a real Mac mini, Lion on a Hac, and Arch on the sig rig), and, I prefer the tinkering way.

Look at what they've done! This had the potential to make a stand with Linux and now we're right back where we were before! No wonder We're stuck with atrocities like Windows8 and OSX :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Why would Android make a stand with Linux in the first place? Android is based on Linux. Thus, Android will not fight against Linux.

Where were we before?

And, it depends on what you understand as atrocities. Windows 8's "Metro UI" might not be the best thing in the world, but it is nowhere near an atrocity. Remember, normal users.

People are going towards AIOs and touch screens. If they can have a computer without the "big whitish noisy box", they will. With an AIO, you can easily put a touch screen. Normal users, remember.

People prefer touching things more than typing commands (for me it's the other way around but well...). Same thing happens to OSX. If people are going towards touch, the market will give them touch. Not a single business cares about "what is right". They care about $$$.

And it seems touch-enabled devices give money nowadays. It might be hard to pick it up for "vintage" users, but for the new generations, it's easy and intuitive, most times.

EDIT: 0140 here in Spain, tired to reply to your new post, will do tomorrow. Just a little thing, there is also Windows Phone as an alternative to OSX. And the first line, you should change it. The other thing might be a joke. That's a plain insult. Why did Google rape Linux? Just because they brought new ideas and changed a thing or two? Then Torvalds also raped the UNIX system Linux is based on?

Last edited:
Yeah Thid get's it. Its from Trailer Park Boys lol.

I know Linux doesn't have any quality control and neither does Windows. I'm saying Android and Google ruined the one good shot for Linux to take over. Anyone who defends Android is only delaying our progress towards open-source greatness...

Well I didn't insult a mod, it's called a "joke" for those of you who don't get laid enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

*snip*

Could we stop with the underhanded insults? I feel like this is said all the time, but reading text on the internet doesn't convey emotion very well (sarcasm). I thought your previous post was an insult. If it wasn't, my apologies. But when you explain that it wasn't, you don't need to ridicule those who weren't right there with you.

Yeah Thid get's it. Its from Trailer Park Boys lol.

I know Linux doesn't have any quality control and neither does Windows. I'm saying Android and Google ruined the one good shot for Linux to take over. Anyone who defends Android is only delaying our progress towards open-source greatness...

Um... Since when are we pushing for a global takeover of Linux? Linux pretty much will always be a niche operating system. Well seasoned computer users will always have open source options like Linux, but there are also A LOT of computer users who would see Linux and go... WTF is this? Where is my Windows/OSX? What Windows and OSX have done for the computing world is not a small feat. They have successfully implemented a generic operating system that offers mild customization while remaining completely impartial to your computing knowledge. If Linux were to take over tomorrow and every other computer ceased to function, a lot of the world would be in trouble.

But to remain on the Android topic, it was said before when we discussed the topic of the Java VM, that Android is actually moving more and more towards a native Linux code and less of the mobile phone/tablet port which runs the Java VM. I personally feel like Android is moving in the right direction, you may have your own opinions. :)

Back