• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperate here, no video on AMD setup, parents going to kill me :me cries:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The other thing you could try is disabling the speech and checking out what the beep code is on boot up - this might help you analyse the problem further.

I think it's the CPU.
I dont agree with those people that said if your CPU is fried, you would smell it or see smoke. I fried my XP2000 and not only it didn't leave ANY marks at all, it didnt smell one bit either.
Got a new chip and lo and behold it worked.

One assumption is that you shorted your chip somehow. This usually teaches you to be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA careful when handling an XP chip, these things go doa very easily.

Don't have another PSU to test it with. :(

If I somehow killed the chip handling it (was *EXTRA* careful with it), why would it run fine for a few minutes (a few shut downs & restarts), but when I was working wth my drives I got the dreaded System Failed CPU Test error.

I had the exact same problem. Frankly bro, I don't think it's CPU. Although you don't, ( i have fried cpu) get a big plume of smoke, you would needed to have done something to it. I actually also hit my motherboard a little too hard when I screw drived my hsf on, and asus repaired it and it runs fine now. Don't fret, go talk to asus returns, they'll return your board for free. Sounds to me like it has issues. Don't sweat it.

I built a new system for a friend and had to try two differnet
350W PSUs to get it to boot reliably. Then he put an old HDD in it
and told me it wouldn't boot. I screwed around for 10 minutes
trying to figure what happened. It turned out the reason
he wanted a new system in the first place was the the old
system wouldn't boot. The reason....The spindle motor in
the old HDD was seized and pulling down the 12 Volt rail.
I took it off and the sucker booted fine.

My point? Is your HDD OK? Didn't you say you could boot
before messing with the HDD?

Last edited:
If you haven't already tested the mobo outside of the case you should try that. As mdcomp said it is very possible that one of the mounting washers(or whatever they're called) is shorting out the mobo. I have seen this happen numerous times, try a bare cpu/mobo/mem/vid test.

Tried the mobo outside the case and still no video but the System Failed CPU test error. :(

I'm going to call ASUS and see if they have anything I can try, if not the boards getting RMA'd. :eek:

try it with the mobo outside the case and the only thing hooked up to the psu being the mobo. only have the cpu in the mobo. no ram, no video, no nothing. reset cmos and try it. if it still gives you the error, one or the other is screwed. you made the same mistake i did and put it all together before trying it out. i now try POSTing after every new component goes in. it turned out that 2 screws holding the mobo in were somehow shorting the board (i even had washers).

Try slower ram, I know it sounds dumb considerring your mboard is rated to handle 333 but I've found on all 3 of my asus mboards that I've had to use ddr2100 or else all hell breaks loose, regardless of what brand the ram is.

this is my experience.
Epox 8K3A+
AS3
Volcano 7+
XP1600
I put the metal clip in backwards. The socket is not symetrical. My clip was putting presure just south of the CPU core.
I could boot fine the first time but when I would reboot the powerful fan would torque the Heatsink off the die just long enough for one corner to burn up.
I had to RMA the thing.
The epox has debug LED's and when the CPU was bad. Nothing happened. the LED's stayed dark.
it sounds like your chip is dead.
I got a new chip and turned the metal clip around and it works fine now.

HTH

Hey, guy who made this thread, I had the same problem and I had it repaired at a shop here. It was the motherboard, screwed up. It'll be finished today but the one thing I'm afraid of is that the mobo screwed up the voltage and fried the chip as well.

It wasn't the mobo's fault, though. Human error, so don't go boycotting ASUS mobos or something. Try a new mobo.

Well, maybe not a boycott, but ASUS is not what they used to
be. They have gone from great to "also ran" just like Tyan did.

Tyan and Asus are not at the top of my list anymore. :(

Tecumseh said:
Well, maybe not a boycott, but ASUS is not what they used to
be. They have gone from great to "also ran" just like Tyan did.

Tyan and Asus are not at the top of my list anymore. :(

I agree entirely, Tyan and Asus were among my favorite mb manufacturers but now they're letdowns despite the feature list. I've had to update the bios repeatedly on the asus boards as new problems would keep coming up, Asus should check the boards more thouroughly before release. My next mb will be either an MSI or an Epox I've seen both in action and never seen or even heard of a problem with them and best of all they're cheap!

Goo Kenson said:
Hey, guy who made this thread, I had the same problem and I had it repaired at a shop here. It was the motherboard, screwed up. It'll be finished today but the one thing I'm afraid of is that the mobo screwed up the voltage and fried the chip as well.

It wasn't the mobo's fault, though. Human error, so don't go boycotting ASUS mobos or something. Try a new mobo.

How was it repaired? :confused:

I was *EXTREMELY* careful handling it and put it in properly. Put this board in the same way as I've done with boards before, didn't bump, scratch it, or anything.

I'm not going to going to boycott Asus, just thinking that I got a bad board. I don't understand what I could've done to kill it???

I'm almost 99% sure that I'll be getting an Abit b/c I don't want to deal with the possibility of another bad board (all my parts arrived Oct. 12th, its now Nov. 5th, and I still don't have it running. :( )

if you must, its still ok to go with the abit kx7333. But remember that there are lots of peeps around with good ocs in a7v333 like maxima, me and others. I like asus because its top quality along with abit, but still the only one with effective cpu overheating protection and good overclockability.

I suggest you just to rma that a7v333 for another one, you wont regret when you have it kickin...

weird question but do u have a cpu shim? if so that happened to me, all I had to do was remove it and it worked fine.

Fuzzy said:
weird question but do u have a cpu shim? if so that happened to me, all I had to do was remove it and it worked fine.

Nope, no shim.

I RMA'd the board for a refund, 90% sure a KX7-333 will be the board I get to replace it.

If you get a Kx7-333 or Kx7-333R Make sure your getting the Rev. 1.1 and not the Rev.1.0 Because if you decide to upgrade your CPU to a 2200+ or above the Rev. 1.0 will not recognize it unless you use the L3 Workaround...

Just thought you might like to know that:D

Good luck!

DpGravy

Back