• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Infinity Vcore Volt Mod - a step by step guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The grabber has little curved arms which extend, and clamp down on the IC pin. The grabber has an internal contact point to which you need to solder the wire which goes to your VR. The contact point is covered by a cap, which is why you cannot see it in the picture above :)

My four grabbers arrived, and are exactly what you need - however, they are large, and cannot be used with smaller (tiny) ICs.

I am still looking for a place which sells the small Pomona grabber I have used for volt modding in the past, as it is ideal for tinier IC circuit pins. I'll ask my computer-tech teacher, he got me the little ones in the first place.

Cool, thanks a lot StinkBreff, I really needed more of those :)

Believe it or not, the really small grabbers can even be used to do video card volt mods, with a liberal application of hot glue to hold things on, and if the mod can be done with IC pins. I'm hoping I'll be able to do a solder free RAM and Core voltage modification to my 9800 Pro with some more of these :).

I hate to ask this but does anyone who has done the vsence mod know if a 10K resistor would be ok seeing as I can get ahold of a 50k as easy as I can the 10k or could someone remove there's and get a ohm reading? I do have a set of 2x10K's I could use if 10k or higher up to 20k would be alright.

It should theoretically work fine. However, you might want to try it without the VSENSE mod first, as I've been reading that some people find they don't need the VSENSE mod to push their Vcore as high as 2.2 volts.

I don't think using a 10K resistor would hurt anything either way, as you're only 'tricking' the board's voltage cutof control, not the Vcore overvolt itself, or any live voltage that is being used by a component. However, it would give you acess to a lot of Vcore headroom - and 4 volts will probably kill a chip ;). If you do use a 10K VR, be sure to be extremely careful when setting your overvolt, so as to not go too high.

i want to make this abo****ely clear....

So the 7 and 10 pin are connected to a ground point via pots/trimmers/potentiometers? and thats it?

I also need to know EXACTLY what to get, there are so many different grabber types out there, i'd say over 25, which one exactly can i use?

Last edited:
So the 7 and 10 pin are connected to a ground point via pots/trimmers/potentiometers? and thats it?

Yes - that's exactly it. Simple, isn't it :)

The Minigrabber shown there is your best bet.

I hate to ask this but does anyone who has done the vsence mod know if a 10K resistor would be ok seeing as I can get ahold of a 50k as easy as I can the 10k or could someone remove there's and get a ohm reading? I do have a set of 2x10K's I could use if 10k or higher up to 20k would be alright.

Reading this again, I don't think I made it totally, and 100% clear before - DO NOT - use a VR with a maximum resistance lower than 50 K Ohms for the [BVcore volt mod[/B]. If you do, your overvolt will be quite high right off the bat, and could cause damage.

However, a weaker VR should be fine for the VSENSE mod.

If you are international, or Canadian (like me), and are looking for a place to pick up Trimmer Potentiometers on the cheap, I found a great place - www.mouser.com . Search for "CERMET TRIM POT". They ship worldwide :).

problem is i dont exactly know what a minigrabber is, i see minigrabber patch cord and it looks like it has a minigrabber but i dont know if thats just the patch cord or if the minigrabber is included...

please link me directly to the item in question

thanks man, i hope you are right...

One more thing, know where to get info on or how to do vdimm and vdd mods for the DFI mobo's?

Also you suppose people can use these minigrabbers to do the NF7-S voltmods on the little resistor things? such as the NF7 vdimm mod?

Thanks man, you help alot

Unfortunately you cannot use Pomona grabbers to get a reliable connection on small resistors, like the one you need to solder to for the NF7-S VDIMM modification. Directly soldering is pretty much the only way to swing it when an IC pin isn't available to use grabbers on. And when doing work on a video card, grabbers are usually impractical because of the height required to use them properly.

Soldering is easier than you'd think, and a little bit of practice on an old dead piece of hardware is the best way to get your soldering skills to the point where you're confident in yourself.

The main things are taking your time, checking everything, checking again, checking a third time, and then starting up. Also be sure to pay attention to your overvolt, and the resistance you've set your VR to. Mistakes made when soldering are usually reversible without consequence if you notice them before powering up the component.

www.xtremesystems.org/forums is a very useful resource for voltage modifications, and picture-guides :).

how sticky is a 10w mini glue gun? I heard it's not very sticky. And would a high temperature glue glue hurt plastic, like plastic water bottles? Thanks

Back