• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have to redo FSB OC if I change ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fordefy

Registered
So currently I'm running an FX 8350 @ 4.6 Ghz (FSB Overclocked), and using 8gb of Adata XPG V1.0 1600 MHz CL11. I just bought a new kit of ram of 16gb of Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 MHz CL10. My current OC has Ram voltage at 1.55v, my question is when I replace the ram, do I just replace the ram with all current settings? Or do I lower Ram Voltage back down to 1.5v? Or third (and the worst option) Do I have to completely redo my OC (eg: Reset to factory, replace ram and completely start again with P95 and upping voltage on CPU)./

Thanks in advance.

Best real suggestion since we CANNOT know for sue what will happen is to put the new ram in and make sure it is set to the specs on the side of the ram and has the correct ram voltage et al. Then the proof is what happens at your end when you try to run Prime95 blend mode to certify stability.

We just cannot say what will happen and would be surely just guessing. My guess is that with the problems that many have had with Kingston HypeX Fury lately...you will experience issues. But again that is only a guess since the real happening is at your end. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

Best real suggestion since we CANNOT know for sue what will happen is to put the new ram in and make sure it is set to the specs on the side of the ram and has the correct ram voltage et al. Then the proof is what happens at your end when you try to run Prime95 blend mode to certify stability.

We just cannot say what will happen and would be surely just guessing. My guess is that with the problems that many have had with Kingston HypeX Fury lately...you will experience issues. But again that is only a guess since the real happening is at your end. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with these problems that people have had with the HyperX Fury. From all the reviews I read, there wasn't any major faults. Do you mean problems with overclocking the Fury?(I don't plan on doing that, hell even the RAM overvoltage was only for the CPU stability and I'm pretty sure it would be stable with the standard 1.5v) If not, can you explain and if its worth it to return the ram and get another set? (Note: I'm limited to low profile ram only due to my CPU cooler)

Set it all,back to stock before yoy put the ram in and start over. As they said it may or may nkt work, but setting things to auto will. THEN tweak the cpu and memory again. Standard installation practices really.

Well I set bios to default, installed new ram and reloaded the previous OC settings but with ram settings set to default (ie: voltage 1.5v and all the timings correct) and it was stable after 2h of P95. :D Cool thanks.

only issue is the timings have completely changed for the ram (Not just CL, CAS Delay etc), even the dram write to read delay and what not have changed completely. I can set the first 4 easy enough but are the rest of the timings standard for this ram? If so where can I get a list of them (Tried but couldn't find anything)

Last edited:
the first 5 +command rate are all that count, except when benching, if you game, memory means almost nothing as long as you have 8 gigs.

Well I set bios to default, installed new ram and reloaded the previous OC settings but with ram settings set to default (ie: voltage 1.5v and all the timings correct) and it was stable after 2h of P95. :D Cool thanks. Good!

only issue is the timings have completely changed for the ram (Not just CL, CAS Delay etc), even the dram write to read delay and what not have changed completely. I can set the first 4 easy enough but are the rest of the timings standard for this ram? If so where can I get a list of them (Tried but couldn't find anything)

Changed from what? From the correct timings you said were set at default above? As in your P95 began with the correct timings for the new ram and n0w they are set some to something else after a few tests and now you go in bios again and the timings are different from the default you said was fine and okay? If everything works okay, I might be inclined to agree with Caddi Daddi that well enough is okay since everyday use of ram does not make a lot of difference how it is set as long as it works.

Some boards have a period of ram training and it might be the board could not work with default timings and had to make changes. The Secondary and Tertiary timings might not be like the previous ram anyway and then you would see differences there also.

RGone...

Well when I reset to default and the board detected the RAM with the correct CL10 timings. But when I actually left the Bios and went into windows to run P95, they changed to CL11 (All the timings changed), but I ran the P95 anyways and it was stable. So I just left them as is with the CL11 timings, I figured any differences would be in the milliseconds at most.

Well when I reset to default and the board detected the RAM with the correct CL10 timings. But when I actually left the Bios and went into windows to run P95, they changed to CL11 (All the timings changed), but I ran the P95 anyways and it was stable. So I just left them as is with the CL11 timings, I figured any differences would be in the milliseconds at most.

Yep likely only a very minor difference. What you have seen is the board dealing with the Kingston ram and setting itself up to have best chance of working. If it did the P95 Blend Stable for 2 hours...likely would leave it alone unless one is very good with ram tweaking and you said more than just the 5 ram timings are now different. Working is working at this point in time. Luck man.

RGone...

Back