• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does cooling the chipset, and ram, and better fans on video make a big diff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunchbox!

Okay, will it make a huge difference if I change the fans on my v5 5500 agp? how about if I cool the north and southbridge chips on my mobo? or the ram?
here are my specs.
iwill ka266-r, 256mb crucial pc2100 ram, v5 5500agp, 1.33 GHz t-bird(in the mail)with factory heatsink for now(getting swiftech mcw-462 soon), large case with 5x 80mm fans(2pulling, 3 pushing), 40 gig ata100maxtor Diamondmax HDD.

I know on the Video card that the factory fans are just goog enough, I replaced mine w/ a Blue Orb. Before doing that I had random lock ups of the video card, since then runs great. I can play UT or Serious Sam for hours w/o a hitch.
I did put a 40mm Vantec fan and greenie on the northbridge chip, don't know if it helped but it couldn't hurt.

For me A better Fan worked very well.
I added a 80 mm fan to the passive heatsink of my Voodoo 3 which was very hot. Now my Voodoo 3 3000 runs at 186 Mhz without any Problem and cool

Putting a better heatsinkfan on your northbridge is said to help some people get higher FSB settings out of there machine i cut down a hsf that i had bought for 5 bucks at a pc store much larger then the greenie. I dont think putting a HSF on your southbridge will help allthough i did put a HS on mine for the heck of it. Unless your ram is overheating I do not think it helps, some people do put HS on there ram on videocards though. I cut down a large HSF and put it on my GF-2 mx but i did.nt notice any improvement but i'm happy its there. there's a good article in either the cooling tips or the videocard tips section about a guy who put peltiers on his video card and the results were not all that it should have been. its worth reading

The question is:

"Okay, will it make a huge difference if I change the fans on my v5 5500 agp? how about if I cool the north and southbridge chips on my mobo? or the ram?"

In my opinion, no. It won't make a huge difference. But, some of those mods do make a small difference. Each one adds up with all the other mods and tweaks you've been doing, so benchmarks are bound to go up.

A good cooler on your video card GPU is good. A slot exhaust fan next to the AGP card helps with cooling too. If your motherboard has a northbridge "greenie" heatsink, you really should put a 40mm fan onto it. It's a nice, cheap, easy mod that helps motherboard cooling and stability. I've tried sinks on the video RAM and on the mobo southbridge and didn't really notice much cooling or stability gain there. A little heatsink on the ICS clock generator helps a bit at high FSB speeds. I doubt that RAM heatsinks on the main memory modules will help much at all.

I replaced my hsf's on my 5500 because while running UT the card was literally too hot to touch under the GPU's. They really use a JUNK thermal pad and minimal fans. I JB Welded (cold welded) 2x1 1/4" heat sinks in their place (on the corners of course with AS in the center) and blowing an 80mm fan across the card. Now I can touch it under full load and it's only warm to touch.

#1 you don't need to generate that kind of heat directly below your CPU. heat rises or is sucked in by the CPU HSF.

#2 The 80mm not only is more effective, but helps dissipate the heat from rising up to the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Back