• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Research

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually yes, Dark Bishop and Rick. My paper includes a guide for the Phenom II Overclocking.

Rick, the key to the Phenom II is to keep it cold. The colder it is the happier it is, and it will not care about how much voltage you are pumping into it. So theatrically you could keep your CPU at 4.5ghz if you it had a max temp load of 35C.

Well, I found a guy on XR that has an exact same setup as me, so he and I have been shooting the hopes about what our system can take.

Sorry, missed the response. Does the board still overclock?
If you was worring about that coil, I don't think it cooked. Had it cooked the black casing would have cracked, melted or deformed with some magic smoke.
The caps definitely look good unless one of them sprayed dielectric, gas I don't see any evidence of cap-death.
From what I see of the trannies, small semis and that little vrm contoller, no tell tale signs of silicon-rigor-mortis there either.

Dolk, your are hard work here is much appreciated :thup:

Yeah everything works, I was just in a state of panic thinking bad things.

I want to get my Benches done before I continue with the overclocking. And in order to overclock more, I need a TEC. To get a TEC I need $$$. To get $$$ I need a paycheck....

Hey there, I have a 940 with the new M4A79 is there anyway that I can help out? I just got it going yesterday

Yeah if you list any results in the Phenom II OC results thread, that would be great. ONe of the biggest things you could do for us, is do some RAM testing with DDR2 and DDR3.

the M4A79 doesn't do DDR2 and 3, just DDR2, the M4A79-T does DDR3. But I've got all night, I keep re-reading your first post and its very very true, the phenom is super easy to OC it looks like until 3.8 once you get past 3.8 its no longer a matter of just throwing voltage and changing some multipliers.

Today I was able to bump the voltage slightly and change the Multi to 19 with the FSB at 200 and aside from a little tweaking worked just fine. so I figured with my watercooling loop I should've been able to hit 4.0 easy with just a voltage bump, but I tried from 1.45-1.6v and no dice, no matter what I did 4.0 was just not happening via a multiplier.

@1.35v I'm idling at 19c which is great, and at 1.45 i'm at 22c so I know i've got the cooling, but as you stated you hit a certain point and it becomes incredibly difficult to even break another 10mhz. It should be a very interesting night and I'll do the best that I can to contribute.

With some boards its easier to do an FSB change rather than a straight up multi OC. Try working at 1:2 ratio with your RAM but keep the Timings around 5-5-5-15 and an NBv of 1.35v

Its not your idle temp that is important to the Phenom, its the load. If it goes above 45C no dice, you will probably not get it to boot into a 4.0ghz environment.

i've been messing with it for a few hours now, and nothing I do can make it go over 3.8ghz, I'm using vista 64 and every time it gets to the vista loading screen it reboots can never get any further than that.

So I imagine that it's due to the fact of the 64 Bit O/S I've got my NB at almost 2600Mhz with 1.30v which isn't bad. but I've been messing with every possible setting. with 1.55v I ran 10 loops of the long ranch level in Far Cry 2 and temps never passed 37c

Definatly frustrating. I've been messing with multiplier OC's and HT OC's no matter what the case I can't seem to get it going

~Edit:
Been messing with it all night, can't get it to post past 3800Mhz @1.55v I've been stress testing it for a few hours and it's been pretty stable. My load temps are 42c while idle is 29. the NB is at 2600Mhz nothing I do can get me past this, but with my temps as low as they are I have more headroom as far as voltage is concerned. But I'm convinced the 64 Bit O/S is holding me back :(

Last edited:
Maybe before you write your paper, you can experiment with straight clocking, no CPU multi involved....

I think you will be quite pleased and it will reinforce your theories about BUS speeds :)

(Definitly worked on Core2, not so mucj on 939 although I think 2430 was the highest I could get my HT)

I do have the FSB testing planned for the future, I just need the time for it now.

ChristmasGT:
A 64bit environment uses a higher amount of bits per a clock to do 1 calculation. As a result there is a limited speed of which a CPU can run under a 64bit environment. I have already exhausted the possibility of having 3.9ghz and 4.0ghz in Vistax64. If you want to do suicide runs, I suggest to grab Vista 32bit or XP 32bit. That is the only way your going to see higher clocks.

Interesting stuff, by raising the ht and also the nb voltage i should be able to drop the cpu voltage a bit and remain stable? ill mess around with this stuff when i get home lol

This only true for high overclocks. This process works better if you are in a 64bit Windows System. I have not explored how it effects a 32bit system yet, but I believe it will have the same effect. Note once more, ONLY for high end overclocking, for a certain range within the CPU clock speed. I wish I could show a graph to explain this further but since I can not effectively cool my system to the Clock speeds I want, my data would be inconclusive.

*Correction* I am testing the NB Frequency effect on an overall system. I should be done with the benchmarks today. What I can say for now is that at a CPU Clock of 3.0ghz, no matter what speed you put the NB, its not going to effectively change the system.

what about 3.4? thats the highest i can get lol, had 3.5 and only went up to 56c with amds stress test thing built into overdrive. It went to 70 within 2 minutes on prime, shut the down fast and dropped the speed/voltages lol

My tests will include 3.0ghz 3.4ghz 3.6ghz and 3.8ghz. If I can do 3.9ghz I will do that. I don't have the cooling for 4.0ghz :(

What is your system setup Jon?

Atm these are my settings in the bios

ht ref = 250
cpu multi = 13.00

everything else is on auto including voltage, that was at 1.34 according to the monitor in the bios.

Hardware
Phenom II 940 @ 3.4ghz
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
OCZ Platinum edition 1000mhz ddr2 @ 5-5-5-18
2 sapphire 4830s in crossfire
600w ocz stealthxstream
200gb wd ide harddrive
os is windows 7 ultimate x64 build 7000

Surprised about the temps with that setup. The high FSB could be the culprit. Lower it back to 200 and change your RAM settings to a 5:4 ratio so that you keep it at its stock speeds.

What is your cooling and case situation?

Back