• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Research

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ive got the stock cooler and thermal, thats probably why. Ive got an antec 900 case but it can only do so much with that cooler

yeah, the Antec 900 is perfect for air flow, but the Stock cooler can definitely only do so much. Although I was able to do 3.8 with that thing with no problems.

I'm starting to see a problem with higher heat outputs on the Phenom II 940s as we get further from the release date. Anyone else noticing this?

[FONT=&quot]. Trying AOD to work my way up to 4.0ghz. CPU temp is at 44C idle but gets to 53C on load. Must watch temp to make sure it does not go beyond 55C. 3.9 has been accomplished using AOD

When I was testing my CPU for the first time using the stock cooler. First night I had gotten it.
[/FONT]

aod doesnt seem to stress it enough, i was at 3.6 easily, only at 1.48 cpu voltage as well and it was maxing temps at 56-57c in the built in tools. Prime took it to a whole different level though lol, at 3.5 ghz with that voltage it hit 70 within 2 minutes. Mind you not a whole lot is going to stress it like prime anyways so i dont have to worry so much about those temps, id rather keep it on the safe side though.

I also couldnt figure out how to change the mem ratio thats why i had to up the ht ref, in the options i only had 800mhz and 1066 mhz. First time really messing around in a bios for me

I do have the FSB testing planned for the future, I just need the time for it now.

ChristmasGT:
A 64bit environment uses a higher amount of bits per a clock to do 1 calculation. As a result there is a limited speed of which a CPU can run under a 64bit environment. I have already exhausted the possibility of having 3.9ghz and 4.0ghz in Vistax64. If you want to do suicide runs, I suggest to grab Vista 32bit or XP 32bit. That is the only way your going to see higher clocks.

Being that we are getting all techie here I have a question. Do you know if it is a problem with the registers or memory interface of just a limit imposed by the wider data stream? Not to mention a properly coded 64 bit program will be (theoretically faster) due to this.

Advanced > Jumper Free Configuration > CPU Tweak [Enabled] > DRAM Timing Configuration > Memory Clock Mode [Manual] > Mem Clock Value [1000 MHz] > 2T Mode [Enabled], DRAM Timing Mode [Both], Auto everything till you learn what each one does. DCT0 should reflect onto DCT1.

ahhh thanks :D

Actually that doesnt work lol, only has options for 800 then 1066, unless you can type it in manually and i didnt try that lol.

Also have one other question, using speedfan should i be watching temp1 or the core temp? Temp 1 is at 55c and core is at 61c.
You were right about the ref clock though, im running slightly higher clock speeds with the multi and the ht ref at 200 than i was using the ref clock and im 2-3 degrees cooler. I also upped the ht frequency from 1800 to 2200

Last edited:
Update on the front page. Concludes the majority of my NB work.

Update on the front page. Concludes the majority of my NB work.

Great work Dolk. I noticed you also skipped 2.2 GHz NB. Did you have the same trouble I did at that NB? Basically for me, performance just tank for some odd reason at 2.2 GHz NB. I thought it was my bios issue. There may be something there.

No, I thought I would get enough of a linear / skatter plot graph that I could guess where the performance would sit. If there is enough reports of 2.2ghz giving trouble, then I will look into it.

awesome guide dolk. i appreciate it. seems like overclocking on the am2+ platform is different than the 939 platform.

So I have been over at the XS forums, along with this one, gathering informaiton on the new AM3 and 720BE. It seems that you will be able to do a much higher OC with the AM3 boards with any of the AM3 CPUs. I have been able to seen this so far with the data I have collected.

Normally it requires 1.55v to gain 3.8ghz using 720BE on AM2+
While it requires 1.375 (stock) to gain 3.8ghz using 720BE on AM3

Reason behind this?

So I have been over at the XS forums, along with this one, gathering informaiton on the new AM3 and 720BE. It seems that you will be able to do a much higher OC with the AM3 boards with any of the AM3 CPUs. I have been able to seen this so far with the data I have collected.

Normally it requires 1.55v to gain 3.8ghz using 720BE on AM2+
While it requires 1.375 (stock) to gain 3.8ghz using 720BE on AM3

Reason behind this?

Possibly different power management
If this is the case, anyone want a 940? :p

I must know! It haunts me in my dreams!

:cry:

Could you explain the differences amongst your charts?I mean,i am guessing different benchmarks run but not quite grasping,thanks:)

Each graph is a different program that I used to benchmark. You can see at the bottom of the exell sheet the name of the program of which I used. At the bottom of each sheet is the "recommended" CPU-NB speed that I calculated both here and in my guide. Those recommended speeds only apply to 940BE as of now, due to new steppings and the AM3 system. There is a lot I need to update, but haven't found the time just yet. I'm sick, studying, and have a job. Just need to find the time for all of this :p

Knew the answer would be somtin my silly eyes didnt see,doh.Hope ya get to feelin better.I admire your enthusiasm and time you've spent gathering all this info.

Back