• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD/CDRW Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

what exactly does a DVD/CDRW do,im not sure how it works,is this all you would need instead of getting both DVD and a CDRW?
Or do you use it for either a DVD or a CDRW??
Sorry for the dumb question
:rolleyes:

combo drive

It does both, just like a dvd plays cd's and dvd's. But a cd or dvd drive would help for burning cd's, so you wouldn't have to copy the original cd the hdd first and then burn.

Ok so with the combo,you have to copy the CD to the HDD first?
And then put it on the blank cd??

exactly, although i've found this method to be way more dependable if the origional is scratched or anything, so no buffer under runs.

cdrw/dvd combo

Just installed one today from LG. I already had a dvd and a cdrw but the reason I did it was for WinXP. found out that easy cd etc don't work in XP and the installed software wo't do a lot of things I need. Bootable cd's etc:(
I looked for updates, got to Roxio and nearly died when I saw the price of Cd Creator there. Went to Costco and found cdrw/dvd combo plus Roxio software in bundle for less than Roxio wants for their software. Seemed good to me so I am using the old stuff with my old Asus cuv4x and a cheap case plus the rest of my old junk, got another system.:)
Maybe I should start another thread in gripes about Adaptec selling cd creator to Roxio. btw I did notice in XP that built in software copyright is Roxio. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my paranoia;)

Re: cdrw/dvd combo

MikeT said:
Just installed one today from LG. I already had a dvd and a cdrw but the reason I did it was for WinXP. found out that easy cd etc don't work in XP and the installed software wo't do a lot of things I need. Bootable cd's etc:(
I looked for updates, got to Roxio and nearly died when I saw the price of Cd Creator there. Went to Costco and found cdrw/dvd combo plus Roxio software in bundle for less than Roxio wants for their software. Seemed good to me so I am using the old stuff with my old Asus cuv4x and a cheap case plus the rest of my old junk, got another system.:)
Maybe I should start another thread in gripes about Adaptec selling cd creator to Roxio. btw I did notice in XP that built in software copyright is Roxio. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my paranoia;)

Correction..... EZ cd creator 4 and 5 DO work on xp, you just have to do a custom setup and make sure NOT to install Direct CD as it is what is integrated into XP.

My direct CD works on my Win XP,I just went to Roxio and got the driver off the website..]
# 5 that is..

Well I have no use for Direct CD anyway, so I won't be forking out any $$$ for a newer version, I have versions 4 & 5... they came with my last 2 cdrw drives. But anyway, if someone doesn't need direct cd the older versions work just fine.

Re: Re: cdrw/dvd combo

JDXNC said:

Correction..... EZ cd creator 4 and 5 DO work on xp, you just have to do a custom setup and make sure NOT to install Direct CD as it is what is integrated into XP.

I could be wrong but when I tried to install it a box came up saying it would not work in XP. The message at the Roxio site said the same and that the only thing to do was upgrade.

Gosh I dont know,I have # 5 basic and no problems here,I know the #4 won't work there wasnt any updates for it..

roxio

Lol! I've got v2.0 and it won't work in win2k or winXP. Why else do you think I'm dual-booting win98??? Stupid Roxio and their $50 upgrades!!!!!:mad:

I just bought a LiteOn 40X12X48 CDRW so I wont be using Roxio anymore either:D

Back