• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everyone on this forum should make a duct, 10*C - 12*C drop!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
voodoomelon said:

CPU Torando: 2556rpm
2x 80mm intakes
2x 80mm exhausts
1x 80mm intake blowhole over Radeon
1x 80mm exhaust top of case

Ok, if mine isn't a "multiple fan" setup Sniper, I don't know what is.:p . And my case temp is usually 22-23*C, which I would consider very good case temps.

archilochus, how do you mean? Do you mean the clips won't fit the way I have them on heatpiped Thermalrights? Or do you mean heatpiped versions are a different shape etc?

Sniper.nkc said:
As I suspected, this mod does not work with premium case with multiple fans as my rig shows. This mod will work with heat generating or poor cooling set-ups. My duct size is 2 1/2 " x 2 1/16 " at hs with 3 13/16" square at top for 92 mm fan. Height is 1 2/16 " because I wanted to keep the clips. I will do some more testing to see if this will improve stability.

Personally, i would think it will work for ANY rig, by that i'm pointing out the common goal here of eliminating the dead spot on the heatsink. Even if your temps didnt drop, by building a duct to eliminate the dead spot, you're helping the overall heat dissapation of the heatsink do its job faster.

Everyone should do this for the simple fact that a dead spot is something everyone usually has on their heatsink, and if i were given the chance to make something to kill a dead spot and make my heatsink get its job a little faster than so be it, i'd do it at the drop of a dime.

Not everyone has good luck, you are right about what type of system you put it in already though, if it has good airflow already, you may or may not see an improvement, bad airflow cases would deffinately see an improvement (might be small or big, but hey 2C makes a BIG DIFF in my book).

:D

I'm good,Voodoo.I see that the shroud is angled to keep the air flow from escaping the side of the HS.On a heat pipe HS like the SP-94 I just used a fan body and didnt close or redirect the air flow as seen in your mod. I ran a temp test and this what I got:
Folding and Prime-95 Torture test = 100% CPU usage
Ambient = 75° F
Case = 77° F
Exh. top blow hole =78° F
CPU = 38° C
Humidity = 80%
<^>I might close off the ends for test purposses.If I do I'll let you know,, THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: I've been wanting to do the HSF shroud mod for awhile.But until I saw how to cut the clips,I let it be.I got up this morning and did the mod.I bought some fans yesterday and was ready to do it.Its a dun deal now.Now all i need is a cold front to get the ambient down to 66 or 67 F.And lower humidity too.:D

Last edited:
mod.jpg

not too similar to wat u guys have, but it works well for me, cools my cpu down quite well. but I did notice 1 flaw with ducts that can come up in certain cases. That is if u have case closed, there probably isn't enough room between the fan and the case door to allow sufficient air to be sucked in and blown on the sink.

EDIT: "I dunno how that got in there". Damn, there's always something lurking in the background
Is that a gun??? anyway.... Old temp 39-44 Idle-load new temp. as of right this second..... 37*C under 98%load(seti). I think at least 7* of difference between lapping and fan adaptor/duct. I am gonna call this an adaptor, cuz I plan on making a duct from the fan to the side of the case so my 92mm LOUD Tornado can suck fresh air and make more noise. lol

moonman said:
mod.jpg

not too similar to wat u guys have, but it works well for me, cools my cpu down quite well. but I did notice 1 flaw with ducts that can come up in certain cases. That is if u have case closed, there probably isn't enough room between the fan and the case door to allow sufficient air to be sucked in and blown on the sink.

Yeah, that's a good point, especially as tornados are so tall. But I have a good 4 inches of headroom between the Tornado and case door.
BTW, what kind of case is that moonman, your power supply is awfully close to the CPU?

Don't worry Hook, it's just a crappy plastic Beretta BB gun.:D

Hey,
Just a little observation.
Is it just me, or has everyone on this board gone duct crazy?
The first page of the cooling section is riddled with people doing this duct/adapter, ducting from intake fans, ducting from the case door using any materials they find.
It's nuts! :thup:
We should call Winter 2003/4 "The months of the duct". :santa:

Or something wittier...

Better cooling is always in demand.And if you can make the product yourself,even better.Have you been to the MODDING XASER III thread lately? All kinds of things going on there.Your thread is full of ideas and info.Thanks for making it.THE FANMAN:cool:

Yeah archilochus,
I remember when that Xaser III thread started about a month ago, think I posted a second or third thread. Had no idea it would develop into such a wealth of info.:)
I completely agree about doing stuff yourself. Not that i'm tight, but i'd always try doing something myself before spilling out a load of cash.
Thanks for your kind words BTW.:D . But as you know, these kind of threads develop from all the folks who contribute to them.
;)

Another BTW, would this be the biggest overclocking forum on the web? I mean i've seen others, but they don't seem to be as big.

I like to see a sticky on this....eventhough my temps didnt go down, I did see some stability in OCing. Thus this duct/adapter is a must to have to help gain an edge in OC!

voodoomelon said:
Hey,
Just a little observation.
Is it just me, or has everyone on this board gone duct crazy?
The first page of the cooling section is riddled with people doing this duct/adapter, ducting from intake fans, ducting from the case door using any materials they find.
It's nuts! :thup:
We should call Winter 2003/4 "The months of the duct". :santa:

Or something wittier...

I got one, "The Ducting Winter of 2003."

:D

I haven't seen a forum as busy as this one yet either.This is the place to be,IMHO.Kinda like I say,Biuld it and they will come..They are here now.Referring to the threads we started.I built the duct yesterday.My results are mixed.One thing it took care of was my tin type noise at my SP-94 HS.Don't laugh,but I used paint stirring sticks instead of plexi-glas.I wanted something that would not resonate noise.I also trimmed some very thin strips of double sided sticky tape to put inbetween the duct and the HS.This will help isolate any resonating noise produced by the fans vibrations and the HS.I did not remove the paper from the side that hits the HS. THE FANMAN:cool:

Yeah,
If there's one bad thing about this mod is that it generates more noise - well in my case anyway. Because there is more air moving in between the fins on the SLK, they rattle a lot more. It took a while for me to adjust the Tornado ontop to minimise the rattling.

how did you make this?
I have Swiftech MCX478-V™ Heatsink (Socket 478) With the 92 mm Tornado . Hmmm I would like to know if anybody did it to this?

Swiftech-mcx478-v.jpg

Hmm, would take a bit of alteration, but the duct could easily be applied to this heatsink. You could put the duct on the swify, then the fan on top, and simply use cable ties or metal wires and loop them between the 4 holes on the heatsink, and the 4 holes on the fan, and pull them tight.
Thats should work.
;)

voodoomelon said:
Swiftech-mcx478-v.jpg

Hmm, would take a bit of alteration, but the duct could easily be applied to this heatsink. You could put the duct on the swify, then the fan on top, and simply use cable ties or metal wires and loop them between the 4 holes on the heatsink, and the 4 holes on the fan, and pull them tight.
Thats should work.
;)
I would love to see if some one did this.

Back