• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final count down till the last Socket370 processors arrive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A little correcting about your history is needed there :p
Anyways, Celerons finally got FC-PGA @ 400MHz and this started to countinue right till 533MHz. Intel finally launched a new Celeron2 core which was dubbed Coppermine-128 which had some potential.

The Pentium3 meanwhile ramped from 450~650MHz on 100MHz FSB. Then came Coppermine, a CPU core that will go down in history. The coppermine core gained a 133FSB and ramped right till 1000MHz. A 1133MHz Coppermine was built but never lasted due to some failures and limitations that the architecture had.
Reverse that, the coppermine came before the celeron. The celeron2 is just a coppermine with half the cache gone and a few processor features disabled.
But then Intel decided on a value based CPU for the first time and it had came to be the Celeron @ 266MHz. Then 300MHz celerons soon came. But Intel was getting edgy on how the Celeron core was not stable enough and did not feature enough floating point units. So, Intel had built a complete revision to the core and called it the Celeron 300a. From this point, the celerons had began to ramp right up to 466MHz on this architecture.
Intel put the axe to the Covington core (cache-less celeron) becuase it sucked hardcore. and everyone hated it because a pentium mmx 200 could woop its ***. Then they revamped the core and came out with the Mendocino core that had a 1/4th of the cache of the p2 but it was built into the cpu die and it ran at full speed (cpu speed) instead of half speed. Intel really messed up there. they created a vaule cpu that outperformed their flagship cpu, lol. after that they decided to cripple the celeron by keeping it at a 66mhz bus to keep the celeron in the vaule section. By putting the cache on the die they made it the first cpu to overclock really really well.
When the 100mhz bus p2 came out intel decided to start moving away from slot 1 and introduced a new socket (s370, ppga). short time later they started making ppga celerons (300mhz-500mhz).
The Pentium3 meanwhile ramped from 450~650MHz on 100MHz FSB. Then came Coppermine, a CPU core that will go down in history. The coppermine core gained a 133FSB and ramped right till 1000MHz. A 1133MHz Coppermine was built but never lasted due to some failures and limitations that the architecture had.
the cD0 stepping allowed a 1.1ghz version of the p3 to be released.
Meanwhile, the Celeron2 had ramped to 700MHz on 66MHz FSB, while at 700MHz, most people thought Intel was playing a joke of releasing a processor of 700MHz crippled so harshly at a 66MHz Bus .
Nope, it went to 766mhz on a 66mhz bus, which ran as slow as mollasses.

Also note, the Pentium pro was the first cpu of the P6 series (introduced on november 1st, 1995). i forget what packing it used, i beleive it was some kind of ziff socket, but i forget (too long ago to remember, lol)

Last edited:
BigRed said:

Also note, the Pentium pro was the first cpu of the P6 series (introduced on november 1st, 1995). i forget what packing it used, i beleive it was some kind of ziff socket, but i forget (too long ago to remember, lol)

Big Socket 8 man!

:D

Here's a pic of socket 8. Try and get hold of a PPro. The size and weight are really amazing. :)

ppro.jpg

Back