• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Fantasy 11 online - how is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there is alot of "free" mmorpgs these days around. That have them cash shops on there websites. Like archlord and stuff. Some of them are pretty decent games or at least good enough to hold you over till AoC or warhammer.

I love wow but sick of the monthly fee been playing it since about 3 or 4 months after it was released up until about 2 months ago.

I always return to my true love RAGNAROK ONLINE! but i won't go into details with my "shadyness" with that game and unofficial stuff :).

One thing that is sad tho i will say. There's alot of older ones like ragnarok that the official servers just suck. They don't add enough content. They don't do enough with the community. But the "unofficial" have two tons of stuff and work just fine. To bad, they should recruit these people give them jobs lol.

i played ffxi for years and trust me just stay away from it lol.
its the most hardcore mmo ive ever touched but its hard to get used to the 30fps cap

LOTRO has PvP, but it is really Player vs. 'Monster'. You can play PvMP after your 'character' reaches level 40. Then you can start a 'monster' to play against other players that want to play on the "free people's" side. PvMP is available only in certain areas (Ettenmores).

That being said, LOTRO is now only $9.99 / month until the end of the year (or maybe Jan 30?) and if you pay in 3 month chunks, it will remain that price for as long as you remain active.

Guild wars, of course, is free of monthy fees. You must still buy the initial game and any expansions, though. It as real PvP, too.

I played DAOC, FFXI, WOW, and Guild Wars and Guild Wars is the only one still installed on my computer. I like that you can put it down whenever you need to and not have to deactivate your account and reactivate it later, so pretty much not having a monthly fee. Also me and a few of friends over the summer put like 90 hours each into it and it was really a blast, although right now I'm stuck on like the 2nd to last mission in prophecies haha.

I played FFXI for a few years (still have an active account I don't touch).

FFXI PVP is minimal at best.

The leveling is a long slow grind.

Soloing is almost imposable with the exception of a few jobs.

Waiting for parties can take hours depending on the time of day you play and your level.

If you play on your computer you can't alt + tab with out a windower program and they can get you band.

the graphics aren't that bad. My problem is the spirit limit. You can only see X number of people at once. So if you are in a crowded area looking to trade something to a friend it can be annoying.

Keyboard an mouse control is awful.

Gilsellers/hackers and an economy that always seems broken.

Cookie cutter job/subjobs. Its very hard to be originally without being bothered about it.

Trying to balance some jobs they broke other jobs.

the biggest one is the amount of time it takes. One of my housemates camped one mob over 60 hours to get one drop.

I haven't played in over a year so alot could have changed but I say wait for FF online two.

Back