• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my hands on a 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What kind of cooling are you using for that 4GHz overclock?

Also, you should run RMClock to see if you're throttling at that speed. :)

this is a great overclock...
i hope you are happy with your choice with dual-core cpu..

DanIdentity said:
What kind of cooling are you using for that 4GHz overclock?

I am using a suck *** koolance exos with the koolance cpu300 waterblock. The POS waterblock has to have a spacer to fit my MB so the heat must go threw two coats of Arctic Silver plus the copper spacer before it transfers to the actually waterblock. Too make things even worse I am also cooling 2 6800gt's, Northbridge, and 2 hard drive coolers. All of this is pushed by a weak koolance pump. Oh what I would give for an external watercooler that wasn’t ugly and had good performance. I have a swiftech block coming early next week along with some new watercooling toys that should help. My temps idle around 40c and load is high 50's.

DanIdentity said:
Also, you should run RMClock to see if you're throttling at that speed. :)

I will check this out right away. Altho I have built a few prescott systems this is the first one that is actually mine so I am a little new to socket 775. I am going to play with some benchmarks now. If there are any benchies you’d like to see I'd be glad to run them just let me know.

ronaldo said:
this is a great overclock...
i hope you are happy with your choice with dual-core cpu..

Last week I dropped almost 2k on a bran new A64 system(In my sig). I was planning to go X2 on that system but that AMD was such an unstable POS it wouldn’t even work with my Leadtek TV card and it BSOD more often then not. I just decided hell with it I'm staying with our stable friends at Intel and ordered this 830D rig. Everything works as it should now and my computer hasn't crashed once since I set it up. I haven’t even crashed it trying to overclock yet. I just shot for 4 GHz first thing and it worked. I think it will do better still but I am waiting to get better cooling to get my temps down before I push it any harder. Anyways enough with the bitter rant about my horrible A64 experience. Now for some benchmarks I’ll be back in a few minutes.

hyperasus said:
but that AMD was such an unstable POS
Welsome to the club :(

Also, before I forget, I need 2 to let you know of 2 things. #1 Update your CPUz to 1.29 to get the proper vcore. And #2 either PM me or IM me for the updated P5WD2 Beta BIOS (it works alot better)

Oh BTW here is my setup. Sorry for not posting it to begin with.

PD 830 @ 4GHz
Asus P5WD2-Premium
Seasonic S12-600
1GB X 2 Patriot PC2-5600
4x250 Gig Seagate Sata on Raid5 ICH7R
Plextor 16x DVD
XFX 6800GT x 2(no SLI)

Everything’s watercooled at the moment with a Koolance Exos and all waterblocks are koolance.

Maybe I'm dumb(which is something I commonly hear myself called) but why 2x 6800GT W/o SLI? Are youplanning on getting it when Nvidia releases a Dual Core Chipset?

Elif Tymes said:
Maybe I'm dumb(which is something I commonly hear myself called) but why 2x 6800GT W/o SLI? Are youplanning on getting it when Nvidia releases a Dual Core Chipset?
The P5WD2-Premium doesn't support SLI, at least not yet.

I bought the 6800's for my A64 rig that I am disposing of now. I run a multi screen setup so I use all 4 video ports. Even if my board could suport SLI I still wouldn't use it because it disables all but one screen. It would be a nice toy to play with though for benchmarks and whatnot.

RangerXLT8 said:
Are the only options you have for SpeedStep *Automatic* and *Disabled*? I'm experiencing this problem with my P5WD2-Premium\P4 650. On my 925XE(P5AD2-E) the options for SpeedStep where *Automatic*, *Maximum*, *Minimum* and *Disabled*. I'm hoping they will resolve this with a bios update.

What bios are you using for your P5WD2? There is a bios 0408 that will give you all of those SpeedStep options.

I wonder what the temps will be oc'ng to 4ghz on air. Probably too hot.

I actually plan on selling my intel rig for an A64 X2. Maybe some good results will get me to cancel my pre-order.

Hardin said:
Look at this .
The current Nvidia drivers don't support full SLI with it yet, but Asus says a BIOS update will improve performance.
Yes, this is true. However you can still use SLI because the minimum specs are 8/4

The main slot remains 16X in both single and dual video modes. The 2nd x16 slot can be configured as Auto, 2X, or 4X in a "semi-SLI" mode that disables the remaining x1 PCIe slots if x4 is selected. The 2 video slots are of limited use for combining video card capabilities as they are now configured. To work at all with current NVIDIA video cards, you have to use the very early (and almost impossible to find) 66.75 drivers. We verified that two video cards are recognized as SLI by the 66.75 drivers, but we could not get any current SLI-enabled games to work properly with the pair of video cards. Asus tells us that future BIOS upgrades will improve this performance. Asus also hinted that other dual video card configurations may also support the dual slots. Could this mean that ATI dual video will work on this Asus with a BIOS update when ATI releases their dual video solution?

Ah... that makes much more sense now.

i really like the new Pentium D, for its performance/price ratio, and now that we know that it can overclock by good margin too, this becomes incredible deal....
it would be nice if you can test some video encoding performance, i like the Real media producer, and i would like to see the scaling from one to dual-core, and from stock to overclocked.
there are other programs to test your cpu performance, windows media encoder, virtual dub with xvid/divx codec, itunes (these are audio/video encoding programs that people use)
well you just test with what you wannt.

about A64 crashing, repair it, or sell it. if you have winxp sp2 then the problem is maybe a nx bit virus protection (many people have problems with that). because i dont think that a cpu can be responsible for that, or maybe is your ram, that you say is not suported by your mobo....

Pentium D rulez :)

Capt_Caveman said:
What bios are you using for your P5WD2? There is a bios 0408 that will give you all of those SpeedStep options.

Negative, atleast I'm pretty sure, already flashed it to 0408 bios and a no go. Are there any other settings in the bios that need to be enabled\disabled for SpeedStep to work properly.

Back