• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my hands on a 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
Holy cow thats nice. You do realize that mobo reads about 10C* higher than actual temps right?

I thought Asus was known for being the other way around.

dammnmn
im guessing if i do video endcoding/gaming i would benifit buying this over a 660?

d94 said:
dammnmn
im guessing if i do video endcoding/gaming i would benifit buying this over a 660?

If you have the cash to buy 660 you should go for the 840 more room to overclock :)

I wonder if getting a water-cooling kit and oc'ng a 830 to 4ghz might be a better idea than me selling everything and buying an A64 X2 set-up. Of course, the price is going to have to drop on the 830.

Hyperasus - what were the problems that you were having with your AMD system? Recommend the 830?

Capt_Caveman said:
I wonder if getting a water-cooling kit and oc'ng a 830 to 4ghz might be a better idea than me selling everything and buying an A64 X2 set-up. Of course, the price is going to have to drop on the 830.

Hyperasus - what were the problems that you were having with your AMD system? Recommend the 830?

The AMD system works but it’s alot of hassle once you are accustomed to Intel. Intel’s are MUCH easier to overclock, run smoother, and work better with all of the day to day programs most people use. Everything has to be perfect with the AMD or it is going to be unstable. Even though Intel does run hotter it is still much more reliable. I have a Venice oc to 2.7 GHz and windows feels slow and unresponsive. I know alot of people will say how their A64 runs like a champ in XP but I find it hard to believe. Maybe if some people came forward that have both AMD and Intel systems on a multi screen setup and told me their AMD gets around windows just as good as Intel then I MIGHT be able believe them. Also for some reason the AMD had problems with my multi screen setup. If I was watching video on one graphics card and tried to move the video over to a screen on the other card the system would freeze :bang head . I tried every Nvida driver back to 56.72 and it made no diff. I even tried installing a 6600 and a 6800 rather than two 6800's. My Intel works perfect with video and everything else I have thrown at it. I have a Pentium 570 CPU I was thinking about putting in my system and shooting for some higher clocks like what batboy has but the more I use this dualcore the more I like it. When the day gets busy the dual core keeps everything running smooth and perfect. My opinion is don't waist your time with AMD right now. If you are really good at holding your temper and it wouldn’t make you too upset when your $600 X2 BSOD then I am sure you can get some awesome benchmarks with X2. If you are interested in trying AMD then I have a dang nice MB and some memory I can sell you ;); J/K

Everyone keeps saying how AMD processors feel sluggish on the desktop I assume it's because they don't have hyperthreading, but my desktop has never felt sluggish on my 2.4B(no hyperthreading).

I dont think it's the hyperthreading. I have a 1.6 Pentium-M notebook and a XP 2200+ mobile notebook. Same story there. The Pentium feels more responsive in XP. Not sure why.

Edit: Please don’t flame saying well duh… the PM is a much newer and more pricy CPU then the XP-M. My only point is that there is more going on then Hyperthreading. If I go in to the bios and turn off HT on my P4c then windows still feels more responsive then my A64.

Last edited:
Would all of you go for a Pentium D over a Pentium 4 6xx? I was going to buy a 6xx, because it beat the Pentium D in almost all benchmarks...

whozyodaddy said:
Would all of you go for a Pentium D over a Pentium 4 6xx? I was going to buy a 6xx, because it beat the Pentium D in almost all benchmarks...

I think it comes down to if you're a heavy multi-tasker or not. 6xx processors can be bought at stock faster speeds. For running singles apps/games, you'll have better performance. Also, you can A 6xx can be oc'd higher w/ just air where it looks like you need watercooling for a Pentium D. If you might run a couple of cpu-intensive apps at once, a Pentium D would be a better choice.

Also, based on the platform you're currently using, you maybe able to just slap a 6xx cpu in but with a Pentium D, you'll have to buy a new mobo.

ps. I have an Intel 640 for sale. :)

Capt_Caveman said:
I think it comes down to if you're a heavy multi-tasker or not. 6xx processors can be bought at stock faster speeds. For running singles apps/games, you'll have better performance. Also, you can A 6xx can be oc'd higher w/ just air where it looks like you need watercooling for a Pentium D. If you might run a couple of cpu-intensive apps at once, a Pentium D would be a better choice.

Also, based on the platform you're currently using, you maybe able to just slap a 6xx cpu in but with a Pentium D, you'll have to buy a new mobo.

ps. I have an Intel 640 for sale. :)

Thanks. I didn't buy my computer yet but I was going to get a 640 with a P5WD2... I do multitask alot so I will go for a 830... anybody else back up this descision?

Just make sure you have good cooling if you go for the 830. It runs much warmer then a 6**. If you plan to overclock then don't even consider the 830 unless you have watercooling. Although I am able to get 3.6 with my 830 with low voltage and decent temps; if I clock any higher then I have to jack up the voltage and the temps go threw the roof with my crapy koolance setup. So make sure you have a good watercool setup if you want to overclock an 830 or any other PD.

I am still undecided. Although I am also a gamer, I will go with a 640. I will just wait until next year when new dual core proccessors come out, and games that utilize dual cores come out, to replace my 640.

So will all the LGA mobo works on the Pentium D? I am thinking about buying this over 630..I was going to jump to 630 but Penitum D just came out. I am thinking about the 820 with some decent air cooling (Xp-90 maybe) what do yall think? I personally do some gaming but not heavy, and have lots of program running on the backgroud..don't know that is called multi-tasking or not...stuffs like having firefox up with 10 tabs, WMP, Aim, msn, game, dreamweaver, blah blah blah...all those random programs..and dling stuffs..

CordialSpam said:
So will all the LGA mobo works on the Pentium D? I am thinking about buying this over 630..I was going to jump to 630 but Penitum D just came out. I am thinking about the 820 with some decent air cooling (Xp-90 maybe) what do yall think? I personally do some gaming but not heavy, and have lots of program running on the backgroud..don't know that is called multi-tasking or not...stuffs like having firefox up with 10 tabs, WMP, Aim, msn, game, dreamweaver, blah blah blah...all those random programs..and dling stuffs..

The Pentium D only works with the 945 and 955 chipsets.

There have been "rumors" of the Pentium D possibly working in other socket LGA775 mobo with a BIOS update, but I have yet to see those BIOS updates or anything official. So, for the time being, only i945/i955 chipsets will run the 8XX series.

Back