• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my hands on a 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
batboy said:
There have been "rumors" of the Pentium D possibly working in other socket LGA775 mobo with a BIOS update, but I have yet to see those BIOS updates or anything official. So, for the time being, only i945/i955 chipsets will run the 8XX series.

Good timing batboy! Look what I found. But I'm curious, what makes the 865 chipset compatible but not the 925/915? The date of bios update is strange, you would have thought people would have already known about this.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...D=3325&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

^^^

I know it sounds kinda' crazy, but I remember reading somewhere a month or two ago during an 840EE review, that Dual Core will work w/ i865/875 & i945/i955, but NOT i915/925. I know it sounds really crazy, so I didn't give it much attention at the time, 'cuz it just didn't make sense to me, & I figured it was a mistake (it was one of the first preliminary reviews). Like I said, it was an early 840EE review at least a month or more ago. Sorry I don't remember where.

Strat

Great...then there's hope for having a dual core running with AGP video and 5 pci slots. Maybe I'll be able to move the studio PC to dual core after all. That'd be stellar.

Shane

Not assuming you would know, but how high do you think you could get it up with a peltier?

Turns out that my Graphics Drivers and my Raid 5 were both having issues. Once I figured it out my scores went up.

What I am seeing is consistant with scores if ya cliocked dual Xeons like this..BUT 99% of Xeon vboards wont let ya do it ..This dual core Intel rocks seriously

And to think, everyone complained about Dual-core cause they thought the clocks were too low...heh, i knew it.

When cruising around windows, surfing and stuff like that it doesn't feel much difference. It still gets the typical lags(such as when you insert a CD or DVD and it freezes for just a sec). But when I start recording from my TV card or doing anything at all intense I notice a big difference. Oh and DVD Shrink rocks on this computer. Copies my DVDs to ISO backups as quick as my Plextor drive can feed it with plenty of CPU left over to keep things running very smoothly even turn off low priority mode on DVD shrink. All said and done; I don't think I could go back to my single core P4. I never get as high of clocks as others here in the forums. It will be very interesting to see what others will be able to do with these duals. Can't wait to see what BatBoy does with his when he gets one :burn:. Abit needs to hurry up so he can show us some stuff ;).

I ordered this CPU with an ABIT AW8-MAX should be here tomorow night I will post some results with my new watercooler to see how far I can push this little beauty

Was going to buy a Asus P4C800-E dxl motherboard, in an attempt to push my 3.2EE faster.
Now that I see the price listed for the Asus P5WD2-Premium in my country is almost same as a the aged Asus P4C800-E dxl, I can hardly justify buy that old technology.

Would it be best to dump the 3.2EE (likely get a good price for it still), and buy a cheap Pentium D 2.8 GHz ?

Oh course, I will have to sell my ram and video card, then get DDR2 (what cheap DDR2 performs like a king?). I could put up with a cheap PCIe-16 gfx card till either ATI ot Nvidia bring out there next killer GPU.

Is the Asus P5WD2-Premium really good? that what I read, would it be better than a plain Audigy2 ?

P5WD2-Premium is a very nice. So far I like it just as much as I liked my P4C800-E. As far as the dual core goes. If you have watercooling then I'd say go for it. If you are on air.....then maybe think twice; if you are on air then you will probably get more out of a 6** cpu.

Intresting to here you have cooling issues.It has been said plainly single chip dual core would cool just like single cored processor..Personally I never saw it that way cause ya still have 8 gigs to cool off .. No different then having 2 seperate cpu's like my xeon rig. you are pounding out the heat aint ya ? LMAO

And for a water block I woulld suggest any one running a dual cored chip that is going to be over clocked to Look for a very high flow water block, 1/2 inch tubing and a decient rad that alows 2x120mm fans on it's face.Something on the lines I have used in my 2cpu rig,Because flow will make a bigger difference on these chips just like it does on my rig..

Whats wrong with getting a 820 Pentium D?
I have water cooling, its ok, just a Corsair COOL kit. I would need to get a s775 adaptor part (all s775 are the same fitting right?).
Will I need a new power supply for the 955 board? (got enough power, but are the plug fittings different?

rlanczos said:
SpeedStep only comes for 830 and 840 so far.

820 don't support SpeedStep according to some articles.

Thats because the 820 mutliplier is at 14, so no need for speedstep (speedstep is just a x14 multi right)

820 = 14 no need for step
830 = 15 plus 14 as step
840 = 16 plus 14 as step

rlanczos said:
Very impressive.

I'm planning to buy the 830 at tigerdirect for 329$.

Can i count with your overclocking skills ?

I don't want to burn it, :santa: but want to keep it stable at 4.00Ghz.

-

You think an XP-120 + the liquid cooling kit from thermaltake would be enought? :)

How would you use the XP-120 and the liquid cooler?

If you go with the XP-120 you could probably get 3.6 out of a dual core cpu. I wouldn't bother with that thermaltake watercooler. Spend a little more $ for something like swiftech if you want to overclock a dualcore.

I hate when you shop for a new comp :( You always want the best, and you can NEVER seem to find a good place to cut on budget...

I, personnally, cut on my gf's shoe budget :D

Dual-core looks nice !

Back