• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350 NH-D14 high temps!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Um ive seen people get 4.8-5.0ghz with a nh-d14 and an fx8350
Ive tried about 4 different types of thermal paste and 2 different types of paste itself .
So if im correct i have to buy a h100i to cool my cpu? That is ridiculous after i already spent $85 on the nh-d14 now i have to spend $150ish on a liquid cooler.

I have never seen a truly stable 5.0Ghz with a D-14 but any number of real 4.4 to 4.6Ghz for at least 2 hours of P95 Blend mode.

The sad sad shett is that we are all telling you exactly what we believe is the issue. What we feel is the problem is based on personal experience and of what has happened to close friends. In my case a lot of what I suggest comes from 6.5 years of dealing with real live customers for DFI mobo company and from 2 years of dealing with FX processors in this forum. NOT one had been the absolute pain in the azz that yours is being. Not one. Just yours has acted like this is acting.

I think I linked you a video of how to apply heat sink compound on cpus with a flat base as I believe the Noctua D-14 has. It illustrated the PEA size use. It showed the Line method. It showed the X method or Cross as it maybe called. And lastly was shown the spread the compound all over the top of the cpu and the results of why the spread all over does not have a good reputation among many people.

The point being that g00d pics of the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink after removal with a g00d clean lift-up-off of the cpu would have spoken volumes to us about how the mounting and contact is working. Would have been nice to know what compound you used.

I try to use compound that requires no burn-in. I got in the habit of using compounds that required next to no burn-in/seating time since I often built upwards of 10 rigs a week setting up to try and simulate actual customer issues in previous time gone bye. I did not have the 200 hours for burn-in time for AS5.

Man we all feel for you but cannot reach you. Too many miles apart and very good pics would have been a huge bonus but those have not come even after many askings. So we are just screwed as it were or make that you are. There are about three pretty good ideas out there. And just now it becomes known to us that the cpu came from ebay. Third page before that tidbit of information comes known. H*ll did the original owner sell it because it always ran hot? Who knows? Maybe he just went Intel. Good chance of that nowdays. But if the product is not brand new, there is always the chance the thing was sold due some issue or the owner just got tired of dorking with it. But you are correct in that you probably have no recourse if it was a hottie from the get go.

All I can say is hope you stumble on the issue and can correct it. Luck man.
RGone...ster.

when i mean i bought it off ebay i bought it from an ebay store, so it was brand new! but they didn't give me the warranty for it for some strange reason (dodgy ebay stores)
after all the **** around, i went out and bought a new case and a H110.
5 mins of prime 95 and its at 59c socket and 40c package.
so according to the thread max temps i still have a little bit of wiggle room to get to about 4.5-4.6 hopefully...
well its worth a try anyways, if it doesn't it doesn't ill just have to pick up a new 8350 from a trusted store next time i have the money to spend :)

What speed and voltage. You cut off the voltage area of HWmonitor AGAIN. What ever speed you're running you are reaching the limit on the socket temp. Have you put any fans on the back of the mobo or VRMs????
Here's a pic of a fan on the back of the mobo.

Capturefan.PNG

See how pics can illustrate something so easily.
You make it very hard for us to help you. Half-a**ed screenshots, you don't seem to take any direction seriously like posting pics when we ask, can't even be polite enough to put up a sig of your systems components. You just keep throwing money at the d**n thing. If that's how you want to fix it that's fine, but I think I can speak for some on here when I say I'm just about ready to give up on you.!!!

Last edited:
i will run another prime 95 test now on 1.4 volts and 4.4ghz.
the ill upload a picture that shows both cpu-z and hwmonitor including the voltages! what other pictures do you want? one of inside the case? one of the back of the motherboard?

i took a few pictures :)
by the way if it makes any amount of difference the case the Corsair 500R

Try putting a small fan here.

EDIT:

TMPIN2 and Cpu temps should come down a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 79
Use the one from the stock heat sink that came with the processor....

OR

Use the spare 120mm fan. Blowing down right on that heat sink I circled. Set it in there temporarily to see if it helps, and if it does, you know what to do with it.

GL

TMPIN2 and Cpu temps should come down a little bit.[/QUOTE said:
tmpin2 never changes from 128c. not 100% sure why but i'ts never moved :)

Use the one from the stock heat sink that came with the processor....

OR

Use the spare 120mm fan. Blowing down right on that heat sink I circled. Set it in there temporarily to see if it helps, and if it does, you know what to do with it.

GL

do you mean mount it on the side of the case ( i already have a 200mm fan on the side)
or do you just mean find a way to sit it in there ontop of the spot you circled, and if so how would i keep it there while my computer is standing up? :shrug:

tmpin2 never changes from 128c. not 100% sure why but i'ts never moved :)

Because there's never been a change in the cooling there. typically that temp moves, at least on all my systems it always has. climbs when Cpu is on load and drops when cpu goes idle.

It was recommended as far back as AM2+ that mosfet cooling is recommended by the motherboard manufacturer. My MVP32 wifi deluxe board came with a fan.

Proof: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A32MVP_DeluxeWiFiAP/#specifications

ASUS Unique Features
ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution
- ASUS AI Gear 2
- ASUS AI Nap
- ASUS 8-Phase Power Design
- ASUS Fanless Design: Pure Copper Heat-pipe solution
- ASUS Fanless Design: Stack Cool 2
- ASUS Q-Fan
- ASUS Optional Fan for Water-cooling or Passive-Cooling only

This fan clipped right on the heat sinks that I circled for you.

See the problem is that both the liquid cooling companies and the motherboard companies fail to provide this crucial information for liquid cooling set ups just like the one you have. It's not your fault in any ways, but this should actually help some. I kid you not.

or do you just mean find a way to sit it in there ontop of the spot you circled, and if so how would i keep it there while my computer is standing up? :shrug:

No I mean the small fan on the heat sink that came with the processor in the box when purchased new.... :shrug:

And finding your own way to fasten the fan on is called a mod. or modification. Some people use zip ties. Some people just let the thing hang there. Tape. It doesn't matter as long as it does something for you..... Put the case on it's back on the table.

The 200mm fan likely doesn't cool the mosfet area due to the back panel fan sucking the cool air out before it reaches the desired area to be cooled. Just a hunch.

No I mean the small fan on the heat sink that came with the processor in the box when purchased new.... :shrug:

And finding your own way to fasten the fan on is called a mod. or modification. Some people use zip ties. Some people just let the thing hang there. Tape. It doesn't matter as long as it does something for you..... Put the case on it's back on the table.

The 200mm fan likely doesn't cool the mosfet area due to the back panel fan sucking the cool air out before it reaches the desired area to be cooled. Just a hunch.

i am not 100% sure what i did with the stock 8350 cooler :(
its been missing for a few months now... (was probably thrown in the bin by parents)
but i do have a 120mm fan i could put in there, i just have no idea how im going to mount it the way you are suggesting.

That's what makes it fun lol. Because the mobo manufacturer doesn't supply this fan, you have to find a way to use your own.

It is also not un-common for people to re-tim the motherboard heatsinks or modify them and also add fans for better cooling. Want higher clocks, get more cooling.

See this is the easy route. I should promptly note that it may have been suggested your waterblock gets removed and inspected for mounting and thermal paste application. The tightness of the mounting can make a big difference too. you can have the right amount of paste and not enough pressure or visa versa.

There's a little more to it than slapping a heatsink or waterclock on a cpu and expect it to do something phenomenal.

ONE MORE THING.... Try flipping the fans on the top. Have them suck the air out of the case instead of dissipating cpu heat back into the case will ya? That may help some too.

Do this stuff, come on back with results.

Back