• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER and 2070 SUPER review - Guru3D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_2060_and_2070_super_review,2.html

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti lives on as is.
GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER slots in at $699 and offers more performance than the RTX 2080 at the same price. Memory speed has been cranked up to 15.5Gbps. It’s faster than Titan XP.
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER is 16% faster than the GeForce RTX 2070 for the same price. It beats a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.
GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER is up to 15% faster than RTX 2060, and it has 8GB of memory instead of 6GB. It’s faster than GTX 1080, and it nearly matches RTX 2070 performance, for $399.
GeForce RTX 2060 lives on as the first step up to RTX performance and feature set, for $349.

I like these incremental updates. Slots the cards up a half tier and lowers prices. The 5700xt, according to AMD, averages a few percent faster than 2070, but Super takes the crown back and I'd imagine the 5700xt to be priced similarly but still uses more power. A good move while we wait for nvidia next gen. They arent skurrred... :p

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super/

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvida-geforce-rtx-2070-super/

TPU pretty much confirms the numbers from Guru3D in 2 separate reviews, and yes, very nice so far especially if it really starts at the same price as the standard model. This is also interesting:

"Technically, the new GeForce RTX 2070 Super is built around the GeForce RTX 2080, not the GeForce RTX 2070. The underlying reason is that the GeForce RTX 2070 already uses the full TU106 chip, which means enabling more shaders on that chip isn't possible. The RTX 2080, on the other hand, has a lot of margin for cutting down on shader count, which also helps with harvesting because GPUs sometimes have silicon defects during manufacturing which make certain shaders unusable. Instead of trashing those GPUs, NVIDIA can now use them on the RTX 2070 Super, which helps tremendously with cost. Another cost improvement is that the full RTX 2080 PCB is used: same VRM, same board design, which means no new R&D cost and economies of scale. We did spot a few minor differences in components, though, which suggests the PCB is a newer revision—so the RTX 2070 Super is not just a down-binned RTX 2080."

Once thing I don't understand though, maybe someone can clarify as it sounds like a problem (-ish) - "Always running in power limiter, which complicates overclocking, too"

Yes, exactly. The cores were bumped up from each. They took a half step up.

RE: tdp... no clue. Likely in place on FE cards to not thwart sales?

I'm more curious of the ray tracing for the Super lineup. Did they include any performance upgrades in that respect?

Yes I know its not important to have ray tracing now, but Cyberpunk 2077 cares. And so I care. My next build is being designed specifically to take on that game.

I'm more curious of the ray tracing for the Super lineup. Did they include any performance upgrades in that respect?

Yes I know its not important to have ray tracing now, but Cyberpunk 2077 cares. And so I care. My next build is being designed specifically to take on that game.
AFAIK, Yes and no. Yes it is improved because a 2070 by name is using a 2080 core and its specs including RT and tensor core counts. No for 'IPC' of those same parts if you can follow.

Yeah I haven't seen any mention on core increase of any kind. Its just a faster card.

Yes... next core up with some clock changes. Other specs like RT and tensor core count, AFAIK, stay the same.

Me too! :clap: I skipped to the conclusion and saw this mention.

Raytracing

At Full HD the RT and Tensor cores will be sufficient enough, at WQHD that will become more challenging for both cards. It is a matter of time though. A good example was Battlefield V wherein the initial stages RT performance was horrendous. DICE raytraced all objects in the entire scene; smart variable raytracing where you only put the RT cores to work on what you can see, really helps in perf. More and more games will support this methodology and over time the performance benefit will increase. For now, it remains a tricky subject though. How the new technology and the actual engine will behave (is it powerful enough?) is something only the future will tell, it is your call to be an early adopter (or not).

RT Core count
RTX 2070 Super = 40
RTX 2070 FE =36
RTX 2060 Super = 34
RTX 2060 FE = 30

Super 2080 is supposed to have RT Core count = 48 according to Paul's Hardware.

Last edited:
Wow... it IS cut down from the 2080... interesting.

That makes sense along the not to hawk sales side of things... though at this point, I would have thrown it in there for giggles considering the performance hit.

I'm so glad I'm not in the market for a graphics card. Sometimes semi-poverty has advantages. LOL

With 1080p @60 Hz I could have worked my way through the Pascal lineup for 10 years or so and been content.

I am really thinking of getting a 2070S. I am in the process of moving, and I will have some extra cash thanks to cheaper rent. I am pretty stoked. As for the rest of my rig, probably after Christmas :D

I did consider a 2080S, and I still might, just have to flip some old hardware and see what I can come up with. Too bad high end LGA 775 and Fermi are near worthless these days.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a year away? There will be something better and cheaper by then.

There will always be something newer coming out, but cheaper.. that's not guaranteed. Historically it looks like typical NV flagships are between $600-$1000. More if your country's currency is like toilet paper.

Very interesting how the 2070 super outperformed the 2080 in 1080 for a lot of those games but in 1440, the 2080 outperformed the 2070 super.

I have to ask a question about this as I'm not as knowledgeable. I also hope that the responses from Dolk and EarthDog can inform us

I think that NVidia went about this the wrong way. AMD has said that they will not have any cards with RT until next year. AMD has also hinted that if you don't need RT, we will have the fastest cards. <- Now of course these will be obsolete as I believe the majority of games are going to have RT support.
NVidia should have done -
1. If you want RT right now -> You have to buy our RTX 20xx Series cards. This is a cut and dried solution as AMD has already stated.
2. If you don't want RT right now but WANT the fastest card -> We have the 16xx Series cards. This would start with the GTX 1650(Ti)-> 1660(Ti), 1670(Ti), and the 1680(Ti). The 1670 and 1680 would be faster than their 10xx Series cards. If they wanted to they could make them faster than the RTX cards. I know that this could cut into their RTX cards sales but it would be a WIN = WIN situation as NVidia would have whatever card you needed.
3. NVidia could have held out on the launch of the SUPER Series until X-Mas = more $$ in their pocket.

I believe that AMD will have a partial launch. They will say that the R-VII is the High End with the 5700 in the Middle and the RX-590 on the Low End. Somewhere in there is the Vega 64 & 56 cards too.

Thank You

Navi has already been priced dropped to come in cheaper, instead of on par. What a time to be alive!

Back