• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my first quad, Q6700, but it's rather hard to OC on an IP35 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trist007

Registered
I used an E8400 on this Abit IP35 Pro and got to 9 x 450fsb no prob, stable and all on prime. Now on the Q6700 it seems I can't get passed 350fsb. If I push it to 375 it gets caught in the windows xp sp2 logo and keeps loading forever.

I got an OCZ 1000 watter, 2 gigs of G.Skill 1066mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 (I got manual timings no in BIOS). I'm using an Antec 900 and the celsius temps are pretty good. Cores idle at around 27, ambients around 29. I'm using a 9800GX2 for the video card. I got a Zalman CNPS 9700 on the CPU. Tons of fans in this case, and I also have a small 40mm on the Northbridge.

I've been using these parameters

Vcore = 1.4850v
VTT = 1.42v
MCH = 1.56v
GTL Ref = 65% on both 0&2 and 1&3
DDR2 Ram = 2.1v (as the voltage listed in the item specs in newegg)
I'm leaving the Southbridge at stock temps, I wouldn't think I need to raise these, would I?

I've been keeping the multi at 8 and trying to reach a 375fsb, but can only do 350fsb. I've tried combinations of this setup along with having the DRAM speed on default and on 1:1. I've also tried switching manual timings to auto and vice versa trying all combinations of dram timings and dram speed.

Any suggestions? I'd think 1.42v and the 65% gtl ref would be enough to stabilize Vdroop. I dunno. I'm kinda confused how some ppl, when overclocking, lower the gtl ref while others raise it. I've had more luck lowering it, when I was overclocking the E8400 on this board. I read that lowering the gtl ref tricks the motherboard into giving the cpu more power to compensate for Vdroop.

Anyhow, you guys reaching 375fsb+ on this cpu+mobo setup? Any suggestions?

Depending on the VID of your chip, you shouldn't need to supply more than 1.35 Vcore at 375x8 (your current 1.4875V is way too high for that clock). Change to a 4:5 (266/667) strap, which will put your RAM at 937 MHz @ 375. Keep your current timings of 5-5-5-15, w/ all sub-timings on AUTO for the time being (except for maybe tRFC of around 42 to 48 at 375). Change both the CPU GTL REF Volt's (0&2 and 1&3 to 67%, drop the CPU VTT Voltage to 1.25-1.3V, and the MCH to no more than 1.35-1.4V. Leave the Vdimm (DDR Reference Voltage) at 2.1V

Last edited:
I got it stable at 400fsb x 8

Vcore = 1.3750
DDR2 = 2.1v
VTT = 1.31v
MCH = 1.41v
GTL Ref = 71% on both 0&2 and 1&3
DRAM at 1:1.25
temps are between 50c-56c on load.
Adding more gtl ref seems to make it more stable.

I can't reach 9 multi, it crashes in windows. When testing I add a tad of voltage to vcore and mch.

I got it stable at 400fsb x 8

Vcore = 1.3750
DDR2 = 2.1v
VTT = 1.31v
MCH = 1.41v
GTL Ref = 71% on both 0&2 and 1&3
DRAM at 1:1.25
temps are between 50c-56c on load.
Adding more gtl ref seems to make it more stable. However, I can't reach 9 multi, it crashes in windows.

Careful playing with GTLREF, that's one of the only ways I've heard of you can actually kill a 65nm Core 2..

I used an E8400 on this Abit IP35 Pro and got to 9 x 450fsb no prob, stable and all on prime. Now on the Q6700 it seems I can't get passed 350fsb. If I push it to 375 it gets caught in the windows xp sp2 logo and keeps loading forever.

I got an OCZ 1000 watter, 2 gigs of G.Skill 1066mhz ram with 5-5-5-15 (I got manual timings no in BIOS). I'm using an Antec 900 and the celsius temps are pretty good. Cores idle at around 27, ambients around 29. I'm using a 9800GX2 for the video card. I got a Zalman CNPS 9700 on the CPU. Tons of fans in this case, and I also have a small 40mm on the Northbridge.

I've been using these parameters

Vcore = 1.4850v
VTT = 1.42v
MCH = 1.56v
GTL Ref = 65% on both 0&2 and 1&3
DDR2 Ram = 2.1v (as the voltage listed in the item specs in newegg)
I'm leaving the Southbridge at stock temps, I wouldn't think I need to raise these, would I?

I've been keeping the multi at 8 and trying to reach a 375fsb, but can only do 350fsb. I've tried combinations of this setup along with having the DRAM speed on default and on 1:1. I've also tried switching manual timings to auto and vice versa trying all combinations of dram timings and dram speed.

Any suggestions? I'd think 1.42v and the 65% gtl ref would be enough to stabilize Vdroop. I dunno. I'm kinda confused how some ppl, when overclocking, lower the gtl ref while others raise it. I've had more luck lowering it, when I was overclocking the E8400 on this board. I read that lowering the gtl ref tricks the motherboard into giving the cpu more power to compensate for Vdroop.

Anyhow, you guys reaching 375fsb+ on this cpu+mobo setup? Any suggestions?

Yeah I have the same cpu. Guys, doesn't it only oc to 2.67ghz from it's default speed 2.66ghz?

I am having issues as well with my ip35 pro and a q6700. PWM temps get out of control after about 450+ fsb. I have it ripped apart right now for the bolt through heatpipe mod.
Trist, I know you were wanting to add some fans. It looks like 40mm fans line up perfectly on the diagonal with the heatpipe mounting holes. I am going to use some extra long screws and bolt the fans right on top. I can post some pics when I'm done if you want.

Hey corpse jockey, what setup you running on voltages? What multi were u running at 450fsb? Check out this pic of a fan I put on the NB

www.trist007.com/images/fan.jpg

I just can't seem to get this proc past 400fsb x 8. Once I pop the multi to 9 it just doesn't boot. Maybe I got a crappy chip, or maybe it needs to be burned in. It's only a day old.

Well I put my 1 week old E8400 back in and it oc 450fsb x 9 easy. It was stable. Temps got up to 69-70c on prime, but was stable for a few hours on prime. It's wierd, when I first oc the E8400 last weekend I had to get the vcore up to 1.43v on cpu-z and now it runs at the same fsb and multi at 1.16v. Maybe it burned in sick. I think I got a cherry picked core :). I also got a swiftech cpu water cooler. Yeah, can't really oc my quad, unless it needs to be burned in or something.

I was running this setup on my Q6700
vcore 1.4
vtt 1.31
mch 1.56
ddr2 2.1
gtl ref 67%
ddr2 speed 1:1.25

bios 14 for 65nm cpus and bios 16+ for 45nm cpus... thats if your board has bios 16 for a 65 nm quad.

I have bios 16 on right now. So bios 14 is better for 65nm? It'd be easier to oc the fsb with bios 14? What's the hp mod?

Heat Pipe Mod It's nicely explained and with pictures as well.

It's not that it's easier to overclock but BIOS 14 is more compatible with 65nm chips then BIOS 16.

Have any boards burned out because of the lack of heat pipe mod

I would highly doubt that. Unless you are careless and just pump up the voltages with out proper cooling, I am sure it's not safe and you will fry something eventually.

If you are not raising the north and south bridge volts, you should be just fine without the mod.

Hey corpse jockey, what setup you running on voltages? What multi were u running at 450fsb? Check out this pic of a fan I put on the NB

www.trist007.com/images/fan.jpg

I just can't seem to get this proc past 400fsb x 8. Once I pop the multi to 9 it just doesn't boot. Maybe I got a crappy chip, or maybe it needs to be burned in. It's only a day old.

Well I put my 1 week old E8400 back in and it oc 450fsb x 9 easy. It was stable. Temps got up to 69-70c on prime, but was stable for a few hours on prime. It's wierd, when I first oc the E8400 last weekend I had to get the vcore up to 1.43v on cpu-z and now it runs at the same fsb and multi at 1.16v. Maybe it burned in sick. I think I got a cherry picked core :). I also got a swiftech cpu water cooler. Yeah, can't really oc my quad, unless it needs to be burned in or something.

Sorry man, I ripped my rig apart for the heatpipe mod last night. Water cooling is so awesome. . . until you have to pull it apart.

7x450 (3150mhz)

Vcore = 1.35
DDR2 = 2.1v
VTT = 1.31v
MCH = 1.41v
GTL Ref = 67% on both 0&2 and 1&3
DRAM at 1:1

It appears to be an fsb limit rather than cpu as it crashes on 6x and 7x multi above 450fsb. Chip does 3.3-ish at this vcore both sets of ram I've tried do 1100-1200 easy.

Have any boards burned out because of the lack of heat pipe mod
I would highly doubt that. Unless you are careless and just pump up the voltages with out proper cooling, I am sure it's not safe and you will fry something eventually.

If you are not raising the north and south bridge volts, you should be just fine without the mod.
well i have had mine since they first came out, no heatpipe mod applied ever. still running strong. :)

What is the heat pipe mod for.
to increase the contact pressure on the pwm's/NB/SB. seems the current pushpins dont make enough pressure to make full contact with them for good cooling.

to increase cooling to the NB, i just added a 60x15mm fan.

half the time those coolers arent event touching the mosfets..

My Pro ran 500fsb through all my benches....

You replace the TIM with either AS5 or ceramique depending on the chip..

Ceramique for things you dont want to short out...(small things).

Back