• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive problems,, Using raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike Jag

Registered
Ok guys ,I have posted this problem before and It seems I still have the same issues, With no clear fix at hand ,,
I have messed up 3 sets of harddrives in the past 2 Months using raid on the kt7A raid , All were remaned units from Maxtor, Now it seems to me I always lose the 2nd Master Than the 1 Master states to click, Now I dont think 6 drives would go bad if so I need to get some new (differnt name brand drives) All the system info is below, Another thing everthing worked good before the Xp upgrade ever since than this is was has been going on, All drives lasted anywere from 1 to about a week

Abit KT7a Raid Using 2 differnt Bios`s (Using Raid 0}
Amd 1200 Ath Not overclocked
640 of sdram
Total of 6 maxtor Drives all were 7200 Diamond Max plus
Soundblaster Pci 512
Memorex Cd and Cd burner

Help Please need some info I want my Raid back to normal

RAID problems

Maxtor has lots of problems. If you are buying remanufactored drives it may be you are getting drives that would go out on any MOBO. Change to Ibm or W.D. and see if that fixes the problem. If you still lose HD's it will be a mobo issue i would think.
good luck

Thanks for the post
Well I Have a Epox 8Kta3+ pro here Brand new in the box I just havent put it in yet. I like Abit boards Thats all I have used , Now is there anyway the board or highpoint controller can kill a drive?

Mike Jag said:
Thanks for the post
Well I Have a Epox 8Kta3+ pro here Brand new in the box I just havent put it in yet. I like Abit boards Thats all I have used , Now is there anyway the board or highpoint controller can kill a drive?
I have never heard of a MOBO or Highpoint being able to kill a HDD. Do you know what has happened to each of the drives. I do know that there is a virus that can write to the bios of a HDD and can make the drive useless until new bios is installed. I dont know much about it though. Perhaps your install disc is corrupted. This is a puzzle to me to man. If youdo find out what is causing this I would like to know for future reference.
good luck

Well to make a long story short I installed the epox board one time before to test the first set of drives and it worked fine, So i went to reinstall in today with a new maxtor drive and booted up . Well the board seemed to have a hard time finding the cd and cdrw and never did find the floppy, so I started to disconnect everything that was not needed to see if the power supply was messing up, Well what I came up with it the power supply was the problem all along. I spent all day messing with it and thats what I came up with. No bad floppy, Just the PW suppy , So I went to the local store and picked up a new antec power supply and put the Abit board back in and everything is working and the bios had no problems finding all the hardware installed,

Thanks for the help guys !!!!!

Mjag

Back