• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you guys ever tried to RMA a overclocked CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMO, if you already got an RMA number send it in.

I'm not a fan of pointless RMAs but if they think your complaint (core temp differences) was a legit reason for an RMA then they must consider it a defective product as well.

I'm not worried about one user sending in an RMA raising the costs. In fact, I'd almost wager that if everyone on ocforums RMA'ed an Intel CPU it wouldn't effect the prices at all.

Anyway, do what is in your best interests. In this case I think an RMA is just that.

<always here to play devil's advocate>

In the end, I opted to not RMA it for a number of reasons, the moral aspect being only a small aspect of it. As you said, I explained the issue in detail and they still issued the RMA number, meaning I have a legit issue. The main reason was that it wouldn't have really been processed as a RMA but instead as a return and I would have had to pay a 15% restocking fee. If I had sold the chip myself, I wouldn't have gotten more that $200 for it (OEM chip, and there's a price cut coming soon that everyone knows about). Either way, I would have taken at least a $50 hit just to get an exact replacement. So, I lapped the one I have instead. After I lapped the CPU and my TRU120E, I did see a temp drop across the board. But, I still have a 8c difference between cores 0&1 and 2&3 at load. No big deal though...I just pick another one up after the price cut when we get our tax rebates in may or june. Then I'll just move the poor performer over to my 24/7 folding rig.

Back